Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need advice! End of my first year in uni and made nearly no friends :/ Watch

ReputationRep:
    okay so I'm nearly finishing my first year in uni, and since I had bad experiences with uni accommodation I've moved to a total of 3 houses altogether (crazy I know) And I never kept in contact with the people living there, they either moved houses or we didn't get on personality wise. I also got with someone in freshers and i'm still with them now and I think this is the problem because I spend 99% of my time with this person and they have really I mean really ​held me back, I've made friends but only very few and I've only been out a total of about 5 times in uni and I'm worried I won't know hardly anyone going into my second year. I'm living on my own next year to make things worse however one of the friends I did make lives 2 streets away. I'm not usually like this I'm really outgoing I've got lots of hobbies and friends at home I guess I need a kick start again. Oh and the person I'm with now is in their last year so he won't be here next year. Any advice guys? Much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Make some friends within your class? That means you share at least one interest!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CodeJack)
    Make some friends within your class? That means you share at least one interest!
    The friends I've made are in my class, I've been to very few lectures but I'm getting 100% attendance this year so shouldn't be a problem!

ReputationRep:
    I know this seems like an obvious answer, but have you considered speaking to your Student Union about what societies exist within your university?

Honestly, I don't talk to the folks I've been living with much for the entire semester, but I've definitely developed what I would believe are friends for life within the LGBT society over here. I understand what you mean however, so I can only wish you well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lans36)
    The friends I've made are in my class, I've been to very few lectures but I'm getting 100% attendance this year so shouldn't be a problem!
    Take up a load of extra curricular/Societies too? and try and talk to people from your uni on here? There are first years trying to get to know people before they go, so you can join in

ReputationRep:
    okay so I'm nearly finishing my first year in uni, and since I had bad experiences with uni accommodation I've moved to a total of 3 houses altogether (crazy I know) And I never kept in contact with the people living there, they either moved houses or we didn't get on personality wise. I also got with someone in freshers and i'm still with them now and I think this is the problem because I spend 99% of my time with this person and they have really I mean really ​held me back, I've made friends but only very few and I've only been out a total of about 5 times in uni and I'm worried I won't know hardly anyone going into my second year. I'm living on my own next year to make things worse however one of the friends I did make lives 2 streets away. I'm not usually like this I'm really outgoing I've got lots of hobbies and friends at home I guess I need a kick start again. Oh and the person I'm with now is in their last year so he won't be here next year. Any advice guys? Much appreciated!
    To be honest, I don't think you'll be making any friends by just sitting in your room. Go out more frequently if you can and you'll start to pick up from there presumably.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice guys! I know I won't make friends by continuing to be stuck in my room thats the problem and that's changing this term, already got a few events lined up with the friends in uni i've made I'm looking at joining 2 sports clubs atm in freshers next september but I feel a bit awkward going on my own, I've asked my friends if they wanted to join with me but they aren't into that kind of thing, I'm a bit worried about feeling like a loner there :/ I'm a worry wart haha!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice guys! I know I won't make friends by continuing to be stuck in my room thats the problem and that's changing this term, already got a few events lined up with the friends in uni i've made I'm looking at joining 2 sports clubs atm in freshers next september but I feel a bit awkward going on my own, I've asked my friends if they wanted to join with me but they aren't into that kind of thing, I'm a bit worried about feeling like a loner there :/ I'm a worry wart haha!
    Really don't worry about going to things by yourself. It's worth it.
    It's also nice to have a group of friends that are separate to the people on your course, especially around the times you have coursework deadlines and the people on your course only want to talk about the work...

In my first year, I was really worried about turning up alone to societies but a few months in, I plucked up the courage to go to a society's social by myself and they ended up being lovely and the society and the people in it became my main social life. Now I'm nearing the end of my second year and I'm still an active part of this society and will be next year.

ReputationRep:
    dont worry! next year you will be able to make a fresh start. try keeping contact with people in the summer. its never late to make new friends!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Aww thanks guys for the help I'll 100% be taking all your tips on board thank youuu!

ReputationRep:
    which uni are you at?

ReputationRep:
    Hey dont worry about going to the society meetings on your own. Remember there will be a good number of freshers who turn up to these things on their own so do not worry. Try joining some society that you would never have considered trying. The great thing is that you aren't committed it if you don't enjoy it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 11, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.