Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've recently came into a couple of grand and I'm thinking about learning to drive. I would want to do one of those intensive courses in the summer holidays as I have 3 months to burn. However, I think it's a waste just to learn to drive then not drive for another 3-4 years.

I have no one to take me to University in September so learning to drive and driving down to Portsmouth seems like the best option (I live in Cambridgeshire so that means I'd have to catch a train to kings cross, underground to the other side of london then down to Portsmouth). It's going to be really difficult to manage a large suitcase and a rucksack on the underground. Also, it means that I'll have to buy the majority of things when I get down to Portsmouth.

Is it worth taking a car to university? I can't imagine me using it much except doing a large shop and coming home at Christmas etc.

Another question: How much is car insurance? I've looked online and for a car for £500 (an old banger!) it seems to cost £1,500. Surely that can't be right?!

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't seem worth it if you'll only be using it to drive to and from uni, and yes, car insurance is expensive. There are companies like Unibaggage which will deliver your stuff without costing heaps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annuhlees)
    I've recently came into a couple of grand and I'm thinking about learning to drive. I would want to do one of those intensive courses in the summer holidays as I have 3 months to burn. However, I think it's a waste just to learn to drive then not drive for another 3-4 years.

I have no one to take me to University in September so learning to drive and driving down to Portsmouth seems like the best option (I live in Cambridgeshire so that means I'd have to catch a train to kings cross, underground to the other side of london then down to Portsmouth). It's going to be really difficult to manage a large suitcase and a rucksack on the underground. Also, it means that I'll have to buy the majority of things when I get down to Portsmouth.

Is it worth taking a car to university? I can't imagine me using it much except doing a large shop and coming home at Christmas etc.

Another question: How much is car insurance? I've looked online and for a car for £500 (an old banger!) it seems to cost £1,500. Surely that can't be right?!
    Your first year of driving is an expensive one. I'm currently deciding whether or not to take me car to uni. I've been driving for nearly 5 years, so my insurance this year is £400. I'm also doing a course that involves lots of placements, but I'm not sure if my uni will allow me to take it. I've emailed them to ask, and waiting for a reply!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've done that route on the train before with some luggage, it's tiring but definitely do-able. I wouldn't take a car to uni because it is going to be so expensive to run and look after, plus when people need a lift somewhere they will look to you.

ReputationRep:
    Am taking my car as it's my only option and I need my car for transport. I just need to see if I can get a parking permit for uni or I'll just be for car parking five days a week in the uni car park.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Learning to drive is always a useful skill, but having a car at uni is invariably a waste of money. Friends who do use theirs for little more than driving to the supermarket, which is in easy walking distance.

I'd suggest learning to drive and then hiring a car (if there's no one who can take you) to move to / from uni each year. When you're at uni you'll find that the areas students frequent are within easy walking / bus distance. If you're worried about going to the supermarket then firstly check where your nearest one is. In halls I had a large Sainsburys 3 min walk away. If it's not within easy walking distance then I would suggest getting a bike with panniers. I can easily fit a weeks shopping in my panniers, with room to spare. And it's going to be far cheaper than a car!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annuhlees)

Insurance coverage in your name will cost a fortune right now, your lucky to get a quote of 1,500 cuz for most boys it costs over £5,000. Anyway I think your best course of action is to get your license this summer but only invest in a car once you're about 22 years old.... it will make insurance a lot cheaper because you will have had your full UK license for a few years and your no longer a teenager so people will assess your insurance on the value of your car rather than the likelihood of you crashing

ReputationRep:
    Lerarning to drive a car is a big ( sort of big ) investment,,, do realise that u perhaps can manage without a car for the coming years , and that taking drivinglessons takes money and that then u perhaps must work in a dull factory all summer long to GET that money, while every other person is enjoying the nice summer on the beach ....

U only life once hey....

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest for going down to university asking around to see if anyone can offer you a lift. A lot of universities only have limited car parking and this is often reserved for those with a special need.

ReputationRep:
    I bought a car, literally 8 months before I started Uni. I was living on campus for the first year and we weren't allowed to bring our cars to campus, so my car just ended up staying parked on our driveway at home for the whole year.

A whole years worth of car insurance (which was very expensive!) was paid for nothing.

Find out where you will keep the car on campus, how (if they exist) parking permits work etc, before your commit to a car.

At the end of the day, it is a luxury to be able to drive, but (a) its an expensive one (b) an unnecessary addition to the financial burden of being a student and (c) you can get around with a bus/train/coach much more cheaply and with bare hassle to worry about

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.