Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hey all, I left university last year studying Geography and, due to various reasons including dissatisfaction with the subject, course, living situation and city, I'm now considering going back to study in an unrelated subject, Psychology. My main issue is being underqualified grades-wise. I achieved the equivalent of AABCC at higher level (I did advanced highers, my grades of BBC matched my higher grades of AA, and I converted the C advanced higher).

Anyway, I'm seeing that the entry requirements to Psychology at Glasgow are rather high for 2014. Applicants who achieved AAAB or AABBB may receive a conditional. AAAA/AAABB gets an unconditional. Is there any way that I can go to college, and get grades that would get me in? Would I sit highers, or an HNC? I'd really love someone's input. I could always apply as a mature student, and just work for a while. I realise my cause is a bit hopeless, but I feel I need to make an effort, at least this time.

If you are willing to go to college and psychology is what you want then I'd say do HNC or HND psychology. Look around at colleges because some will may let you into HND and you might as well do the highest qualification you can. HND is SCQF level 8 which is first year uni level so if you pass it well getting into uni should be pretty easy. HNC is one level below first year uni so combined with your highers will still make you much better placed to get into uni than you are now- as in it will give you a fair chance, now it sounds like you'd struggle.

ETA: I just had a quick look and I'm not actually sure HNC/D psychology exists, rather it's in social science. I think you'd be looking at something like this but given your highers are well above the requirements you could talk to colleges to see about entry into second year. (Motherwell was just the first college that came to mind)

Hey BKS, I really appreciate your reply. I send off an email to Motherwell, hopefully they get back to me. I have already applied to various social sciences courses at other colleges some weeks ago. I understand what a time-consuming and complex route I'm taking, hopefully it works out in the end. I've promised myself that no matter what I'm sticking with the course, as I can't afford (in any way) to mess up once again.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.