Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My family want a puppy BUT i have a cat who is 4 years old, who i love her to bits and pieces and i don't know if dogs and cats really get along.

I researched on the Internet and most websites say the dog and cat always have to be supervised and that's quite worrying.

Does anyone have a cat and a dog that actually get along?

I have no idea what breed the dog is going to be but i do know it's going to be a baby (maybe 5/6 weeks).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Cats and dogs can get along fine if introduced at an early age. I would get a smallish breed (no bigger than 1.5 feet - could be pushed to two feet) otherwise you could run into problems when the puppy hits puberty...
    Don't forget as well, puppies can be VERY boystrous (I know this from our puppy - 14 weeks old...) and can be a pain towards animals which are older and will probably play with them too much and may result in a scrap.

In short, don't favour one over another because animals become jealous VERY easily and could result in a scrap.

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit of a myth that cats and dogs never get along. Ultimately dogs will probably see the cats as fellow members of the pack and will be quite protective/affectionate toward it. Often it's jealousy on behalf of the cat that you need to watch out for, as you probably know, as cats often don't like change.

It's actually my two cats who don't get along (younger one used to annoy the older one when a kitten, and the older one still hasn't forgotten 13 years later!). Though my previous cats were all fine and loving. All cats I've had have been fine with the two dogs I've had. OF the two cats I've got know, the older one can actually be quite affectionate to my current dog. Same with my previous dog, who was their surrogate mammy, really. Even when we got my first dog (1994) we had two older cats. One died only weeks after getting the dog, the second died a year later. That same year we got the first of our current two cats, and there was no problems with any of them.

So despite being old cats they never had a problem with the dog. The two cats we've got since probably saw this dog as their surrogate mammy, and have been quite accepting of the new dog we got after the first one died.

My younger cat, the one who annoyed the older cat, actually used to have play fights with my previous dog. He'd climb all over her, biting into her paws and legs. It must have hurt my dog, but she was very good matured and just accepted it.

However, this doesn't mean that problems don't occur, especially if a new pet is suddenly brought into the household. I think it really depends on things such as the age of cat and what the dog is like. A big, boisterous dog mightn't be good and I must say that I've never had a puppy. My experience is based on older dogs (2 to 3 years old)

I would suggest caution, and if you do get a puppy then both will need to be introduced carefully, but often it's fine. It really depends on the type of dog you get, its nature, and also the personality of your own cat.

Would your cat still have areas of the house that it can escape to, away from a puppy? I think it's quite important for the cat to still have its own private spaces.

ReputationRep:
    I've had cats and dogs that got on really well
    My sister recently got a cat, and with a bit more time would have easily gotten on with my two
    Depends on personalities of the pets really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    It's a bit of a myth that cats and dogs never get along. Ultimately dogs will probably see the cats as fellow members of the pack and will be quite protective/affectionate toward it. Often it's jealousy on behalf of the cat that you need to watch out for, as you probably know, as cats often don't like change.

It's actually my two cats who don't get along (younger one used to annoy the older one when a kitten, and the older one still hasn't forgotten 13 years later!). Though my previous cats were all fine and loving. All cats I've had have been fine with the two dogs I've had. OF the two cats I've got know, the older one can actually be quite affectionate to my current dog. Same with my previous dog, who was their surrogate mammy, really. Even when we got my first dog (1994) we had two older cats. One died only weeks after getting the dog, the second died a year later. That same year we got the first of our current two cats, and there was no problems with any of them.

So despite being old cats they never had a problem with the dog. The two cats we've got since probably saw this dog as their surrogate mammy, and have been quite accepting of the new dog we got after the first one died.

My younger cat, the one who annoyed the older cat, actually used to have play fights with my previous dog. He'd climb all over her, biting into her paws and legs. It must have hurt my dog, but she was very good matured and just accepted it.

However, this doesn't mean that problems don't occur, especially if a new pet is suddenly brought into the household. I think it really depends on things such as the age of cat and what the dog is like. A big, boisterous dog mightn't be good and I must say that I've never had a puppy. My experience is based on older dogs (2 to 3 years old)

I would suggest caution, and if you do get a puppy then both will need to be introduced carefully, but often it's fine. It really depends on the type of dog you get, its nature, and also the personality of your own cat.

Would your cat still have areas of the house that it can escape to, away from a puppy? I think it's quite important for the cat to still have its own private spaces.
    I'm sorry to hear about your pets that passed away

Well i guess that's kind of good news .. the only problem is that my cat is a bit fierce and she gets irritated quite easily. She's always been the baby of the family so she's VERY spoilt. But then, she can have a soft side at times and is really loving.

She has a lot of random favourite spots around the house, (like in the summer she likes to just randomly lie in the middle of the room). She would probably have to make new "safe" spots (which she will not be happy about mind you).

I just think that she's gona be really overprotective and not like some random animal barging into her territory, i don't really think she'll take it as something good but my dads adamant it'll be fine.

Fingers crossed and let's hope for the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.