Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

does anyone know which browser is meant to be the most secure and which are the least?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'll assume you mean the conventional browsers? Anyone could make their own web browser and it would obviously lack security. It honestly depends on the test which is being performed, but on a few reports, Google Chrome is typically seen as the most secure (usually followed by Mozilla Firefox). The least secure would be Microsoft Internet Explorer and then Opera... I'm kinda surprised that Opera is seen as unsecure, I would've thought it be better. There are many studies out there and they can all be searched for.

That said, some features of IE make it more secure than things such as Firefox. Google Chrome is probably the safest though.

In either case, it's down to you, the user, to ensure you're searching responsibly and keeping your browser up to date. Using add-ons and suitable levels of firewall/anti-virus protection are necessary to prevent any errors from emerging. If you're downloading crap, you will be infected. You need to be smart too.

ReputationRep:
    Some have reputations for being more secure than others, but really the important thing to emphasize is that you should make sure you have the latest version of whichever browser you do use.

ReputationRep:
    Usually it's Chrome that comes out on top, before Firefox as a poster above said - but that security dwindles as you install add-ons and extensions...everytime I installed AdBlock, somehow Snap.do hijacked Chrome and turned it upside down (I use AdBlock Plus, much more reliable for me)...

FYI Snap.do's been said to contain malware and spyware, it's not just some annoying alternate search engine.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.