Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The Huffington Post recently posted about adverts which objectify women, and here is one example:

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013...#slide=2320826

Now why is that more objectifying and unrealistic than this picture?

I've seen this advert everywhere, on buses, on the internet, on billboard. Yet nobody has mentioned that that men could find it offensive.

And it really makes me wonder if feminists would ever stop and consider that men are objectified just as women are on a daily basis.

Having to see it everywhere can lower self-esteem when it is an unrealistic and unattainable physical form for your average guy. Women complain about the necessity for different sized models yet I haven't seen them bat an eye when it comes to the mental wellbeing of men on the topic of body image.

So, guys: Do you find this image offensive and sexist for the aforementioned reasons? And girls, do you think that men deserve to have different models of different shapes in a way which is comparable to the way women have now got 'curvy' models?

ReputationRep:
    Women have a lot of spending power today. Some say more spending power than ever before, and we know the old joke about women having the purse strings and asking their husbands to take them shopping. And who can blame them? Money is power, and it allowed women to have economic freedom. Of course, now women work and earn their money like men do, and so that joke is perhaps not as widespread as once was. With this advert - the men dressed in pink trousers - it is obsviously aimed at women's spending power. Switch onto gambling programmes through the night and you will be suprised how many males and how many females ring up the show. I can remember having it on the background whilst I was studying and can remember the callers were mainly women. Foxy Bingo, for example, seems to be aimed at women. Women are fast becoming the dominant gambler:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ge-decade.html

So I think that the advertisers are simply exploiting this upsurge of women gamblers. The fact that they are dressed in pink might have a two-fold motive, the pink pound, so that it caters for both women and men; not stright men but gay men. And pink obviously appeals to women's sensibilities so they feel less threatened. It is clever advertising. Why don't they have scrawny and goofy men in that pink attire? It wouldn't appeal that much. Granted the picture of those males is unrealistic, but it is not for you males, not heterosexual males anyway. It is for women and probably gay men. Would this affect ordinary guys? I don't think it would generally, because hetero guys see the pink and think that these males must be gay men designed to appeal to other gays and women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    With this advert - the men dressed in pink trousers - it is obsviously aimed at women's spending power. Switch onto gambling programmes through the night and you will be suprised how many males and how many females ring up the show. I can remember having it on the background whilst I was studying and can remember the callers were mainly women. Foxy Bingo, for example, seems to be aimed at women.
    Sheila's Wheels is another ploy advertising example which takes advantage of the double standards of sexism in the UK. If there'd been a company called 'George's Wheels' or 'Andrew's Wheels' instead that pandered specifically to men then there'd be uproar.

the picture of those males is unrealistic, but it is not for you males, not heterosexual males anyway. It is for women and probably gay men. Would this affect ordinary guys? I don't think it would generally, because hetero guys see the pink and think that these males must be gay men designed to appeal to other gays and women.
    It still presents men in an unrealistic, objectified fashion with their tops off. I just think that for all that modern feminists go on about objectification of women they make sure they miss any opportunity to see objectification of men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)

So, guys: Do you find this image offensive and sexist for the aforementioned reasons? And girls, do you think that men deserve to have different models of different shapes in a way which is comparable to the way women have now got 'curvy' models?
    Not at all. And I don't think it bothers most other men, either. Furthermore, I can't name a female friend who'd see the first advertisement as offensive or sexist. No, wait, I can actually (she's a feminist). I remember reflecting on this issue earlier this week when flipping though a Hello! magazine my housemate left in the kitchen. There were plenty of scantily clad, 'objectified' women in that magazine. But Hello! is primarily written by women for women, so who's objectifying who here?

Modern feminism is fast becoming one big double standard, and is inherently selfish in its nature. It seeks equality between the genders by focusing solely on the struggles of one of them, and lashes out at anyone who doesn't see things the same way, even women. Feminists, and radical feminists in-particular, are quick to call people fascists without realizing that they themselves have become fascists.

Rant over.

ReputationRep:
    I was staring at the American Apparel picture for a while and...I need to go and buy a Unisex Firsherman Oversized Turtleneck Sweater.

However seriously, no I don't find the gambling ad particular sexist. When I first saw it I thought "damn these guys are ripped" oh and "this ad is gay, I wish they would stop with all the gambling ads".

I'd say there's definitely a double standard here, why is it ok to have a bunch of shirtless men but not woman?

ReputationRep:
    There are other sorts of male objectification, like success, how's man's worth tends to be tied towards how rich or well off he is.

Moreover, people who complained about the men ogling over the beach volleyball women had no issues about watching diving for men in Speedos. Look at the girls loving it every time Taylor lautner took his top off.

But to answer your question, does it annoy me? Hell no I got better things to be annoyed at. I just dislike blatant double standards. The real question is, is there really anything wrong with objectification? No, its totally natural, that's why they make several ads like that, it appeals to us a lot. No reason to demonise people for iit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    Not at all. And I don't think it bothers most other men, either. Furthermore, I can't name a female friend who'd see the first advertisement as offensive or sexist. No, wait, I can actually (she's a feminist). I remember reflecting on this issue earlier this week when flipping though a Hello! magazine my housemate left in the kitchen. There were plenty of scantily clad, 'objectified' women in that magazine. But Hello! is primarily written by women for women, so who's objectifying who here?

Modern feminism is fast becoming one big double standard, and is inherently selfish in its nature. It seeks equality between the genders by focusing solely on the struggles of one of them, and lashes out at anyone who doesn't see things the same way, even women. Feminists, and radical feminists in-particular, are quick to call people fascists without realizing that they themselves have become fascists.

Rant over.
    This.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I'm a feminist, and objectification of anyone pisses me off. Male or female.

The thing that annoys me about the American Apparel advert though, is that she's not wearing any underwear. Why? Who the Hell lies around wearing a jumper and make up but no underwear?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons)

The thing that annoys me about the American Apparel advert though, is that she's not wearing any underwear. Why? Who the Hell lies around wearing a jumper and make up but no underwear?
    You are sincerely wasting your time by being 'pissed off' on other people's behalf.

I'm just going to leave this here...

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    You are sincerely wasting your time by being 'pissed off' on other people's behalf.
    Not when I've been routinely objectified.

However, even if it was merely for other people, it's my time to waste.

ReputationRep:

My ideal girl, that's who. :drool:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by PoGo HoPz)
    My ideal girl, that's who. :drool:
    I literally typed it, then looked down at myself. I was in the middle of getting changed into pajamas.

I was wearing a jumper, no underwear and makeup. :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    Not when I've been routinely objectified.

However, even if it was merely for other people, it's my time to waste.
    I'm glad you agree that your perspective is a waste of time

ReputationRep:
    I literally typed it, then looked down at myself. I was in the middle of getting changed into pajamas.

I was wearing a jumper, no underwear and makeup. :getmecoat:
    Pics or it never happened. PM if you like.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    I'm glad you agree that your perspective is a waste of time
    Nice try. But it's far too late to get me provoked.

ReputationRep:
    Nice try. But it's far too late to get me provoked.
    Lol it was worth a shot

In any case, women (and men apparrently, so you say) don't need sycophants like you to be "pissed off" on their behalf. They're not mindless objects that need to be 'liberated' by people like you. They're more than capable of taking control of their agency and in that regard, I think the only objectifier here, is you.

Feminists.. :rolleyes:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Pics or it never happened. PM if you like.
    I was wondering the other day if that's ever actually worked.

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering the other day if that's ever actually worked.
    We could be the first to make it work.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    We could be the first to make it work.
    I admit it, that was smooth. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I admit it, that was smooth. :cool:
    I noe, I noe :cool:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.