Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Buy xbox 360 or wait for xbox 720? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I just sold my PS2 and I am looking for a replacement console. I'm thinking about the Xbox 360 in 250GB. It's £175 on amazon which is within my budget as I don't want to spend over £200. However, I read online that the Xbox 720 will be out by Xmas this year. Do you think I should wait for that or buy the 360? I'm going to university next year and want to take an Xbox with me, what do you think I should do. Btw I don't play online so will have no need for online gaming, which I have heard rumours that the Xbox 720 is all about online gaming? Should I risk it and pay extra for the 720? Or should I stick with the 360? Thank you for your help x

ReputationRep:
    Definitely wait. In about 6 months all will become clear!

ReputationRep:
    Well when the new Xbox comes out, your old one won't be worthless - you can still sell it!

Offers like this: http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/xbox...direct-1516736

and this: http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/xbox...re-pre-1524974

make it pretty reasonable. New consoles are generally very expensive (the PS3 was £425 at launch according to wikipedia) and you'll probably have a lot of fun on the 360 until the new one comes out.

That's my opinion anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I'd wait for the 720

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gumball)
    Well when the new Xbox comes out, your old one won't be worthless - you can still sell it!

make it pretty reasonable. New consoles are generally very expensive (the PS3 was £425 at launch according to wikipedia) and you'll probably have a lot of fun on the 360 until the new one comes out.

I heard they were putting the ps4 out really cheap so maybe xbox 720 will be cheap to compete?

ReputationRep:
    I'm fairly certain its been announced that the Xbox 720 will require an always online connection, so I'd go for the 360 or switch platform to the PS4 when it gets released. If you hate online gaming and don't want to be online all the time then definitely go for the 360 (It'll be cheaper than a PS4 too)

ReputationRep:
    Just a suggestion, but perhaps wait until E3 2013 where all will become much clearer about what the next Xbox console has to offer, maybe even a release date. If you don't like what you see at E3 then buy the Xbox 360 Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McRyan)
    I'm fairly certain its been announced that the Xbox 720 will require an always online connection, so I'd go for the 360 or switch platform to the PS4 when it gets released. If you hate online gaming and don't want to be online all the time then definitely go for the 360 (It'll be cheaper than a PS4 too)
    That isn't confirmed, just speculation. Given the public outrage I doubt that will happen upon release.

ReputationRep:
    I would wait. Chances are there will be a big drop in 360 prices to shift stock online.

And who knows maybe the 720 or ps4 will be cheap?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gumball)

They are :/ I got a PS3 at launch £425 with a couple of free games.

I could only afford it due to compensation for the end of my index finger being torn off, whilst working in a tank factory :/

ReputationRep:
    Wait for the 720... I'm about 60% sure that it won't be an 'always-on' games console, that's just stupid.

You'll probably be looking at a bare minimum of £350 though. Just so you're aware.

ReputationRep:
    The 720 sounds terrible from what I've heard, always online, always on kinect which affects the console you look away from it. It sounds like Microsoft is trying to compile an entertainment device which has gaming and TV, but with the limitations and less freedom compared to a PC. PS4 sounds like the console to get at the moment, at least they've addressed they had people talking about the games, whereas all I've heard from Microsoft is some sort of television extension *******s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    The 720 sounds terrible from what I've heard, always online, always on kinect which affects the console you look away from it. It sounds like Microsoft is trying to compile an entertainment device which has gaming and TV, but with the limitations and less freedom compared to a PC. PS4 sounds like the console to get at the moment, at least they've addressed they had people talking about the games, whereas all I've heard from Microsoft is some sort of television extension *******s.
    It hasn't been revealed yet so I think you're acting a little prematurely. Wait and see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattKneale)
    It hasn't been revealed yet so I think you're acting a little prematurely. Wait and see.
    Partially true and not true, certain aspects such as Kinect 2 are outright certain.

When the PS4 was announced, everything bar 8GB of GDDR5 had already been leaked. Microsofts security is even worse to be honest due to the number of leaks.

Some of them however go in line with previous comments and some make too much sense.

- It will use the same CPU as the PS4
    - The GPU will be a grade lower than the PS4 but same series and seems equal regardless due to architecture differences.
    - Kinect 2 is mandatory to the point the console won't switch on. (Too many sources for that one)
    - 2-3GB ram is reserved for the OS at the moment.
    - 8GB DDR3 ram. 5GB for games.
    - The operating system itself is derived from Windows 8 and probably 8.1.
    - Games will be outright installed to the Hard Drive, the disc won't be necessary from that point.
    - Its being marketed not as a games console, but more of a media/cable box.
    - At this point in time Developer Units are online only, if that applies to consumer is unknown.

ReputationRep:
    Wait until May 21st, see what's said at the reveal, and if it is always-online (plus, at least for me, no second-hand gaming) then buy the 360 or PS4. Personally I'd buy the 360 anyway - I think they said that the 720/Durango wouldn't be able to play old gen games and there are a lot of good 360 games to play.

ReputationRep:
    Get a second hand Xbox 360 for now if you're really bored or need it and then get yourself a 720 when it's released (which will probably be a bit pricey) and sell the Xbox 360 to recoup some of the money back. But do note that you'll also have to pay for the games for the 360 - buy pre-owned if possible.

I have a spare 'old' Xbox 360 Elite (the fatter design) which was manufactured just before the 'Slim' version of the 360 came out. Hardly any difference between the original and the Slim, bar a few changes. If you're interested give me a PM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dlaiden)
    Wait until May 21st, see what's said at the reveal, and if it is always-online (plus, at least for me, no second-hand gaming) then buy the 360 or PS4. Personally I'd buy the 360 anyway - I think they said that the 720/Durango wouldn't be able to play old gen games and there are a lot of good 360 games to play.
    Hell, I'm thinking Microsoft are getting worried. Originally the official release was February, then it was March, then it was April 26th and now its May 21st. They might as well wait for E3 at the rate they are scrapping events.

Also another thing I forgot to mention, but there are rumors a third gen 360 is in the future line up as a cheap option at Christmas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will Lucky)
    - Games will be outright installed to the Hard Drive, the disc won't be necessary from that point.
    If that's the case, what's the point of offering games to be played on a disc - or have I missed the point? :confused: Why not just offer the games as a digital download, if the purpose of the disc is redundant after installation?

And won't that encourage piracy for games if friends can borrow discs and install it to their hard drives? O.o

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattKneale)
    Backwards compatibility is even worse, you have to buy a mini-Xbox 360 attachment similar to the HD dvd drive, so you have to pay extra for backwards compatibility.

ReputationRep:
    I would wait at least for the 720 to come out. It shouldn't be too long (unless you really can't wait), then you can see if the 720 is worth the money (it will be more than the 360) but if you don't think it is then you can just buy an xbox 360 which will be greatly reduced in price once the 720 comes out.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 23, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.