Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What would be the ideal mileage on the car? Im expecting something less than 60k? Surely if i buy something with a higher mileage, it'd break much sooner?

Anyone

ReputationRep:
    60k, that's pushing it, my family 60k mileage car flatlined a few months ago, unrepairable! Sad but oh well. You can get pretty cheap cars at less than 4k miles and average less than £6k. Best cars are seat, skoda, ford, smart cars. Bad cars are Nissan, fiat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeordieFan)
    What would be the ideal mileage on the car? Im expecting something less than 60k? Surely if i buy something with a higher mileage, it'd break much sooner?

Anyone
    Obviously none at all looool

But it does depend on your budget......even with low mileage, or high mileage, you also need to check the current condition of the car and parts.....also the common problems with that model so you won't be spending more on repair any time soon.

Whats your budget?
    what are you looking at?
    usage of the car?
    any other needs?

ReputationRep:
    Mine was 70k and I had no problems at all with it. It was a Ford...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Obviously none at all looool

But it does depend on your budget......even with low mileage, or high mileage, you also need to check the current condition of the car and parts.....also the common problems with that model so you won't be spending more on repair any time soon.

Whats your budget?
    what are you looking at?
    usage of the car?
    any other needs?
    Currently got £2000, so £3000 maximum.
    I'd most like to have a ford fiesta zetec, or a 08 corsa, anything that looks nice with the brand vauxhall, ford, peugoet basically!
    usage will be driving to work and college
    needs to be my local area! (DN31)

ReputationRep:
    It depends entirely on the car, manufacturer, vehicle history, previous drivers, etc. The ~10 year old car I drive performs far better than some similar 5-7 year old cars that I've been in. The car is just about to tick over 110,000 miles.

The rule of thumb is that a car should collect around 10,000 miles per year, so you can work out if a car has been over-used or not. If the car has a really high mileage for its age, consider avoiding it. That said, be cautious if the car has a really low mileage as there may be a reason why they're not using the vehicle - You need to try and find out a bit about the seller (if being sold privately) and ask them about how or why they use the vehicle. If it's an old granny doing a once-a-week trip to the shops then that is probably a good reason for low mileage.

It would also be good to research that particular vehicle beforehand and then check out the logbook for it when you go to see it - There are certain parts which are replaced after a certain number of miles, and you can see if this work is to be done. If a component such as the flywheel is typically replaced after 55,000 miles and the car has 60,000 miles without this part being replaced, you can expect they're trying to flog the car to avoid paying for new parts.

Just googling for the car and maintenance information should let you know the life expectancy of parts on those vehicles as well as problems people have had with that particular make and model.

The mileage wouldn't be my main concern provided the car runs smoothly (take it for a test-drive or get an experienced elder driver to do so for you if you can't get temporary insurance on another vehicle) and the vehicle has been well maintained. Many cars can do 100k+ miles just fine.

ReputationRep:
    Currently got £2000, so £3000 maximum.
    I'd most like to have a ford fiesta zetec, or a 08 corsa, anything that looks nice with the brand vauxhall, ford, peugoet basically!
    usage will be driving to work and college
    needs to be my local area! (DN31)
    Thought about any other makes like a Toyota yaris, toyota corolla or a VW polo?

ReputationRep:
    I like the idea of the VW Polo, but can't find any cheap ones in my area that look nice!

ReputationRep:
    I like the idea of the VW Polo, but can't find any cheap ones in my area that look nice!
    Thats a issue, your area isn't too big nor has that many sales........which models do you like? 02-05 shape, etc?

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't always depend on the mileage of a car. For example, a car with 100,000 motorway miles will probably be better than a car with, for example 40,000 city miles. Lower mileage cars are often used for short trips so the engine will not have been warmed up properly. Diesels are a prime example, because in a modern diesel, if you do short trips, the engine will not warm up properly and clog up the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter.) This will result in poor performance and you need to give it a good 20 minute blast at 60mph to fix it.

The clutch on lower mileage cars will also be worn more than a motorway car. The motorway car will have spent most of its time in 5th or 6th while the city car will constantly be going between first, second and third.

Just make sure a mechanic has had a good look at it beforehand. Remember, lower mileage MAY not necessarily be better!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that'd be great, under £3k though if possible.

ReputationRep:

Anyone
    It depends on the car really.
    Theres nothing wrong with higher mileage cars, as long as they have been looked after, been regularly serviced etc. If looked after, cars can do well over 100,000 miles.
    It also depends on the make and model of car. Some cars are known for having problems after a certain age, mileage etc.

ReputationRep:

Anyone
    FSH and Condition are so much more important than mileage. Most modern cars hit the 200k miles mark easy. 100k miles is nothing anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that'd be great, under £3k though if possible.
    Its a real struggle finding something in your area...........if you can, suggest going into a larger city for the day and making appointments beforehand, somewhere like Manchester or Birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    Quick search:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...12pd?logcode=p

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...-owner/1256335

That is for VW Polo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    It depends on the car really.
    Theres nothing wrong with higher mileage cars, as long as they have been looked after, been regularly serviced etc. If looked after, cars can do well over 100,000 miles.
    It also depends on the make and model of car. Some cars are known for having problems after a certain age, mileage etc.
    (Original post by DotDotCurve)
    FSH and Condition are so much more important than mileage. Most modern cars hit the 200k miles mark easy. 100k miles is nothing anymore.
    (Original post by Liammm)
    You shouldn't always depend on the mileage of a car. For example, a car with 100,000 motorway miles will probably be better than a car with, for example 40,000 city miles. Lower mileage cars are often used for short trips so the engine will not have been warmed up properly. Diesels are a prime example, because in a modern diesel, if you do short trips, the engine will not warm up properly and clog up the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter.) This will result in poor performance and you need to give it a good 20 minute blast at 60mph to fix it.

The clutch on lower mileage cars will also be worn more than a motorway car. The motorway car will have spent most of its time in 5th or 6th while the city car will constantly be going between first, second and third.

Just make sure a mechanic has had a good look at it beforehand. Remember, lower mileage MAY not necessarily be better!
    ^ This x100.

Read my post in this thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...466&p=42186130

I can't be bothered typing it all out again. Mileage is not an issue, buy on condition and history.

My car is on 122k and runs like new. Looks great on the outside, on the inside, goes very well, and there are no problems with it at all. My mate has a similar car nearer 150k - same story.

ReputationRep:
    As everyone else is saying, mileage isn't the be all and end all. For instance, with my '99 Focus I did some research and found out that the clutch tends to give out at around 70k and need a replacement. I nearly bought a '98 Focus with 65K with nothing done to it, could have been a real sink if that clutch went. As it was, I went with a '99 Focus that had 79k on the clock, but a new clutch at 72k and a new battery just 3 months before, and it was only 3rd hand with a full owner history.

ReputationRep:
    If you are buying a sub £3000 car or one that is more than 4 years old then you must buy it purely on condition, get a trusted mechanic to give it a once over so you can find out if the car might have some potential gremlins.

These days no matter how high or low a mileage of a car is, that number on the odometer rarely ever gives much insight as to what condition the car might be in, lots of foolish people tend to buy old-granny's Fiesta that is 10 years old and only done 25k miles, mmostly to market, lawn bowl games and church, these can be among the worst cars to buy as many rubber or plastic parts may last 100k miles or 5 years before it starts showing some wear and tear. That car can be a bad car to buy as you would often go in blindly thinking the car is of low miles therefore have no worn parts, which in a way is true, but this is mostly limited to the engine block and pistons, gearbox and possibly the clutch, everything else would most likely need some attention once you start driving it a bit more.

A higher mileage car often denotes a car that was used by a company or someone who needed a car for work, these usually tend to be in fairly good condition as these people depend on their vehicles for a living thus downtime isn't something they want plus more than likely if it was part of a vehicle corporate fleet then they most likely had guaranteed contracts with a mechanic thus the vehicles would more than likely be well maintained.

No such thing as a best mileage for a first car, personally I'd buy something with more miles to it as it just might be cheaper as long as it is in good condition.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.