Looks Getting Me Down Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Thi s may sound really stupid and materialistic, but basically, the way I look is really beginning to depress me.

After visitng my doctor a number of times for my spots, she eventually prescribed me pills to take. She said they’d have an effect after about a month, but so far I’ve been taking them for two months, and my spots are worse than ever. I have huge patches of acne (big lumpy spots) down the sides of my face, and lots of spots on my back, including a big cluster in the middle.

This might sound weird, but my voice is really boring. It’s what people comment on about me. When I talk, my voice sounds like a dull drawl. I’ve heard myself on tape, and it really sounds horrible. It’s really bringing me down as well.

I’ve been told my breath smells and my teeth have a yellowish colour to them no matter how often I brush them with a whitening toothpaste.

On my neck, I have a lump of loose skin which is a birthmark. People’s eyes are always drawn to it and I’ve had people ask if it’s a mosquito bite or something. People are always making horrible comments about it aswell.

My body is not so good. I’m not fat, but I have lots of loose muscle and I can’t tone up. I also have very flabby thighs. My arms are really thin.
When comparing myself to other guys of my age, they all have no spots and they have an interesting voice. They are tall, whereas I’m not. They’re thin and have toned muscles. They attract girls, while I don’t.

It’s really getting me down that I’m like this. I don’t think I can cope anymore. Everytime I look in a mirror it upsets me. I’m 16 and I can’t cope at the moment with this and the added pressure of my exams and stuff.
goodLife
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thi s may sound really stupid and materialistic, but basically, the way I look is really beginning to depress me.

After visitng my doctor a number of times for my spots, she eventually prescribed me pills to take. She said they’d have an effect after about a month, but so far I’ve been taking them for two months, and my spots are worse than ever. I have huge patches of acne (big lumpy spots) down the sides of my face, and lots of spots on my back, including a big cluster in the middle.

This might sound weird, but my voice is really boring. It’s what people comment on about me. When I talk, my voice sounds like a dull drawl. I’ve heard myself on tape, and it really sounds horrible. It’s really bringing me down as well.

I’ve been told my breath smells and my teeth have a yellowish colour to them no matter how often I brush them with a whitening toothpaste.

On my neck, I have a lump of loose skin which is a birthmark. People’s eyes are always drawn to it and I’ve had people ask if it’s a mosquito bite or something. People are always making horrible comments about it aswell.

My body is not so good. I’m not fat, but I have lots of loose muscle and I can’t tone up. I also have very flabby thighs. My arms are really thin.
When comparing myself to other guys of my age, they all have no spots and they have an interesting voice. They are tall, whereas I’m not. They’re thin and have toned muscles. They attract girls, while I don’t.

It’s really getting me down that I’m like this. I don’t think I can cope anymore. Everytime I look in a mirror it upsets me. I’m 16 and I can’t cope at the moment with this and the added pressure of my exams and stuff.
To be honest the only difference between the other guys (well a few of them) and you is that they have confidence. There will be loads of guys who actually look worse than you but are seen as attractive because of the way they dress, cool hair style and attitude. Next time you go out look around everyone is a different shape and size and I can guarantee a lot have insecurities like you.
Try working on the things that you can change, go to the gym and combine this with endurance activities (jogging) to lose the flab, this will boost your confidence as well, you said you were short so this is an advantage for looking muscly, at least your not tall and lanky which is what a lot of guys worry about! About that lump thing you could easily get it removed very quickly, go to your gp and say that you don't like the look of it.
As for the spots well loads of people have them and it doesn't put me off guys at all, shows that you are young lol.

Of course if you were satisfied then you wouldn't need to make any changes but in your case you are not so changing the things you can will help.
cally
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Cals words of wisdom:

I have glasses
I have had bad acne since age 11 (leaving me with many many scars on my arms and in particular, face - it is horrible)
I also have thin arms - so no real strength - yet cant seem to tone up

I am not attractive and whenever i go round town, no girl ever gives me any attention. This used to upset me, all of it.

But there is more to life than your looks mate. I got so down in autumn 2004 than I forced myself to diet, lost 2+ st in 2 months and made myself ill. Now i have put most of that back on again (I didnt tone up even when i lost all the weight!!), but there is one difference: me as a person. I have learnt to stop caring what people think of me now; I am me; that i can't change. All you can do is be genuine. You find that having a gf/bf will make you feel better about yourself, though in order to get a gf/bf worth having, you have to be more than an image: you've got to be a person. A real person. Let who you are shine through, and erode society's damn irritating stereotypes!
mbm1087
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Anon...you need some confidence! When you feel badly about yourself, you're sending this message to everyone you meet: "I think I'm really ugly and don't like myself, so you all probably won't like me or find me attractive either." You may not think you're sending people any messages, but when you feel badly about yourself, it shows- in your voice, posture, attitude, etc. The minute you start to accept yourself, you'll find that other people will do the same.

As for your teeth, I'm a big supporter of Listerine mouthwash and Crest White Strips (works wonders- your teeth will not look as yellow.) If you can not find these products where you live, ask your dentist for recomendations. If you are worried about acne, ask your dermatologist if you can switch medicines for it. I used to have bad acne, but now that I'm on medicine for it, it's not a problem. (The first one I was on wasen't very effective, but I switched to a different kind and it works really well.) And at my school, no one looks great when we're in the middle of exams. We're all tired, our eyes look droopy, everyone's face is broken out from the stress, etc. Don't be so hard on yourself!

And as for your voice, don't worry! I take from your post that you are probably English (or Scottish, Irish, or something- not American though) and I think that's so hot! An accent is the biggest turn on for me- the minute I hear one, I want to melt. Don't worry about your voice- I guarentee you that I'd find it very hot!

Try not to dwell on your flaws, and instead, focus on the things you like about yourself. You'll feel alot better.
Anonymous #2
Report 12 years ago
regarding the acne issue,

I also have acne and am on pills for it, and have been for a year or so, ands its just starting to clear up. The pills the doctor gives you will take a long time to have any noticable effect, so dont worry at this stage, just persist. Also, get PLENTY of fresh air and keep ur face washed all the time. This will help soso much. Also, I use Imperial Leather soap and it works a treat for me personally, and when I revert to other soaps my skin gets worse. So I advise you to experiment with different soaps, and always go for the uncoloured and unscented ones! But as the summer starts to shine, just make sure you lets ur face get lots of exposure to the hot sun (just be careful not to burn!)

hope this help!
Fester
Report 12 years ago
Regarding the breath issue: After brushing your teeth and tongue thoroughly in the morning, use a good mouthwash, and add a splash of TCP disinfectant.
You'll be good for 4 hours, then have a piece of mint chewing gum every hour.
Rock Fan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Personality is much more important than looks
Fluent in Lies
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Carl1982)
That doesn't mean it's wrong to care about and want to improve how you look. Even if it is true that it is much more important, a lot of the time in practice, certainly in breif social situations looks to play an important part.
Rock Fan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
True but how many today wanna look like jordon, Kerry Katona and David or Victoria Beckham, be yourself is the best way.
Fluent in Lies
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't even know who Kerry Katona is.
horrorboy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
How helpful:rolleyes: (not that ive contributed anything but still)
Anonymous #1
But how can I have a decent personality if i'm depressed bout my looks
zav
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You have to think that your not bad looking at at all when your attitude changes then you will be on the right track.

Sorry to have a go but there are so many threads on this i think we should make a sticky topic so people can read and take the same points in.

1. You have to be more confident.
2. You’re not as bad looking as you think because if you are down you will under estimate your looks.
3. Looks are not everything; personality is equal if not more important.
4. A lot of people think like this you are not alone. Everyone has insecurities and you just have to get over them and think about your good points.
bedbug
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
That's the point, you need to stop being depressed about your looks. Sure, do things to try to improve them as that'll give you more confidence but forget about them! So what if you're no Brad Pitt - how many people actually are?

I bet you compared yourself to what you think is most guys, when actually you only take notice of the good looking ones. You forget to compare yourself to the less good looking ones and think 'I'm better looking than them'.

Look at it both ways - positive and negative, instead of just focusing on the bad points. There must be bits of you you are happy with or even (shock horror) really like! Why are these bits of you not getting as much attention as the bits you don't like?
puppy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
True but how many today wanna look like jordon, Kerry Katona and David or Victoria Beckham, be yourself is the best way.
No thanks- they're all ugly.

To the OP: all the problems you've described are totally fixable, you just have to get on with sorting them out. I complain about being fat but I shouldn't really because all I have to do is go and do some exercise and stop eating junk. If you won't help yourself then you can't hope to look how you want. There may be some people who just look perfect naturally but most people who look good do so because they put a lot of effort into it.
white_haired_wizard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
only the chavs want to look like them....surely they should be wanting to look more like the denise richards and penelope cruzs of this world rather than the aforementioned chavvy types.

It's important to feel good about one's appearance of course, get to the problems and do some ill-feeling eradication...for OP, that may mean going jogging, improving diet, going to the gym et cetera...only he can change...
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm sure it must be tough feeling the way you do, but your perceived flaw are so much more obvious to you than they are to others. Concentrate on your good points. The good news is that you are only 16 and therefor have a long way to go as far as development is concerned. It's a well know fact that guys improve with age. I'm sure your physique will improve, especially if you join a gym and do weight training etc.
As for acne - yeah, it sucks but, again, you're 16 and will grow out of it.
Your teeth you could sort out with crest white strips ( get them off ebay) and just keep a pack of gum handy.
There's not much you can do about your voice, although this might also change with time. Don't feel bad - I'm sure you are a really great person, you just need to be more confident in yourslef and concentrate on all your positive aspects.
abc137
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Aparantly 'unattractive' people always turn out to be stunning when they're older! hehe just thought i'd add that!

Yeah i agree with everyone. it's a confidence thing... If you go out and act really confident people will see your true personality which is hiding behind all your insecurities! I'm sure there are some things about yourself which you like, and you can make them stand out... flaunt them! People should like you for your personality and not your looks so as long as you act yourself and are confident when talking to people, you will be fine!

You can change these things if you really want to with time and effort... have faith!! Exercise not only tones up your body but also makes you feel good... it's a fact! Drink plenty of water too
high priestess fnord
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
find a more sympathetic doctor. they can do alot more than yours has about the acne. i wouldnt worry about it too much tho.
Anonymous #1
Thanks for all the positive support guys . I think I'm gonna rebook a doctor appointment... every time I've been, i've seen a trainee, so maybe she's getting it wrong :s:. I've bought some chewing gum too

I was just wondering is there any truth in the rumour that crisps cause spots? I'm thinking there might be, as the high salt level and all that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.94%
No - but I will (46)
6.78%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.52%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (317)
46.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise