Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm renting a car for the first time tomorrow and am looking forward to it but am a little nervous as well. It's something completely new to me and I'm not too sure what I need to all know.

I know that I should check for any dents or scratches before driving off from the place. How much into detail should I look though? Also how long will I have to check it out?

Anything else I need to check or make sure I know before driving off?

ReputationRep:
    I think its a good idea to take pictures of the car or any marks it may have before you rent it as they could miss something and claim it was you who caused the damage.

Although that is unlikely as these companies tend to be very thorough, better safe than sorry (Y)

ReputationRep:
    Few things to look out for :-

1) The tyres, make sure it doesn't have any bubble, of good thread depth and properly inflated, ensure the tyres are properly inflated when you return the car too and make sure you take pictures of the tyres that it isn't flat when returned otherwise you'd be given one of the most expensive bills for a tyre.

2) Windshield, check for cracks and chips. Make sure it is marked on the condition sheet if any does persist.

3) Paintwork, check the bumpers, especially near the fog lamps, sides where there'd be parking damages. Ensure all scratches are on the manifest.

4) Dents on the bodywork, no matter how small or insignificant, ensure it is marked.

One thing you could do, especially if you're driving into the countryside or in areas where you aren't familiar is to get one of those extra insurance policies called super cover which reduces your liability to zero so you won't be responsible for any damages to the car. It can be pricey though so might be expensive if you are renting for an extended period of time.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Check the rental is unlimited mileage unless you know for certainty you will not exceed that.

If it's short term rental, take the optional Excess Waiver (or sometimes called Risk Reduction Cover) otherwise you will end up paying a large surcharge (up to £800) if the vehicle is written off or stolen your fault or not.

Check the conditions re fuel.

If this is a UK rental then probably the best option is to take it with a full tank and return it full because the rental company fuel charges will be horrendous and well more expensive than doing it yourself. (could be 50% more than pump prices).

If you do that, make sure it is full to the brim or you will be paying for that extra when you return it.

Don't be swayed by the buy it full and return empty even if their full tank price offered seems a bargain. Any fuel you don't use will not be refunded even if you take it back full. You will have made a present of a full tank of petrol to the rental company.

ReputationRep:
    Don't crash.

ReputationRep:
    ^ Well you'd know all about that, now, wouldn't you...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.