Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I passed my driving test in February and gained insurance for my Polo 1.2 for 6 weeks. RAC didn't give me a quote after it, I was looking through compare sites to find cheap insurance however, I didn't find quotes any lower than 3-4k!

I want to pay about 2-2.5k on insurance, if that means getting another car I will. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Here you are

ReputationRep:
    Try InsureTheBox

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    Try InsureTheBox
    Okay, thanks.

Anymore suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    If you have to get a new car, try something like a corsa, heard the insurance is pretty good on them,obviosly a smaller engine is better, and wouldnt be surprised if a diesel was cheaper as well (would have to confirm it though)
    OR if you dont mind splashing out, a classic ( pre '71 i think) will have massivly cheaper insurance plus free road tax, might have to consider running costs and security though, still it would probably save you in the long run. Just a thought...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devilhenge)
    If you have to get a new car, try something like a corsa, heard the insurance is pretty good on them,obviosly a smaller engine is better, and wouldnt be surprised if a diesel was cheaper as well (would have to confirm it though)
    OR if you dont mind splashing out, a classic ( pre '71 i think) will have massivly cheaper insurance plus free road tax, might have to consider running costs and security though, still it would probably save you in the long run. Just a thought...
    I really would love a classic car, but do they have to be pre 1971? And if so, what sort of cars would be good choices?

ReputationRep:
    Co-op young driver's insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Co-op young driver's insurance.
    I thought this would be the answer to my problems, but they wanted 3.5k for a 1.2 Polo that is ridiculous!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxm)
    I thought this would be the answer to my problems, but they wanted 3.5k for a 1.2 Polo that is ridiculous!
    :O

And that's why I got a motorbike. Car insurance is ridiculous if you aren't a named driver of a car with someone else having good NCB. Speaking of which, is that not an option?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    :O

And that's why I got a motorbike. Car insurance is ridiculous if you aren't a named driver of a car with someone else having good NCB. Speaking of which, is that not an option?
    No I've tried, virtually nothing off! How affordable are bikes? Could you get insurance and a decent bike for 1500 -2000? Classic car option is also tempting but I don't have a real idea of what would be an ideal car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxm)
    I really would love a classic car, but do they have to be pre 1971? And if so, what sort of cars would be good choices?
    'Fraid if you want the cheap insurance then yeah, but no harm checking for yourself, i'm not 100%, and as for ideas for cars, how about a original mini or beetle, maybe a cortina, but other than that nothing else springs to mind, unless you want a rover where the doors fall of every 200 yards (you have to have had watched the topgear bl challange to get that :P) maybe a quick scout around on ebay might turn up a good find, who knows? Just be sure that it wont fall apart in a slight breeze, some old cars wernt particularly well made.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxm)
    No I've tried, virtually nothing off! How affordable are bikes? Could you get insurance and a decent bike for 1500 -2000? Classic car option is also tempting but I don't have a real idea of what would be an ideal car.
    I ride a Yamaha YBR 125 on a CBT. Im 27, no other road experience. Costs me 450 TPFT for a year insurance with protected excess of 500. Tax is 16 a year and fuel... Well... Fuel is nothing. I rode hard for about 2 hours today and I used about 2.50 of fuel... My bike can be had for around a grand, maybe 1200, plus riding gear at 300 ish. It's not the fastest thing ever, but will hit 70 and is phenomenal as a commuter bike. Of course, it's not the only 125 out there!

Biking isn't for everyone, but doing your CBT costs 100 or less and will allow you to try it out. If you do enjoy it, there's a whole world of fun to be had. Plus, if you ever wanted to, a 0-60 in sub 4 seconds bike isn't going to cost much more either...

ReputationRep:
    It's due to the notorious rep polo's have with teens.. Unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    A supermini isn't really a good starting point as statistically they are crashed a lot more than other cars. If selling isn't an option, there are a few things you can do.

- Try Admiral / Elephant / Diamond / Direct Line. Go direct, and get quotes. Don't be afraid to play them off against each other
    - Look into 10 month accelerator policies. Cheaper, and you get a full years no claims at the end
    - Limit mileage if possible
    - Add both parents as named drivers
    - Keep the car on the street / drive rather than in a garage if applicable
    - Say the car has no security features, if applicable
    - Get quotes towards the end of the month
    - Pay it all in one lump sum if you can - you will get a discount and you won't be hammered with interest
    - Get a different car if you really have to - Ford Mondeos etc are much cheaper than Corsas and Saxos to insure in my experience. My BMW 328i costs me £620 per year, and I was quoted around £1500 for my Mum's 1.2 Corsa!

ReputationRep:
    Just to let you all know. I actually got a T Reg POLO insured for 900 pounds. Thank you for all the help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    Try InsureTheBox
    The black boxes are ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    I paid £1600 for a 1.5 diesel clio with insurethebox!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Really? I think they are far less restrictive than people make out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.