Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Scared to death. Counterfeit money story watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Go to the police

ReputationRep:
    You are completely innocent so go to the police and tell them that story. Don't worry, you'll be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhatDoIWrite)
    I have. I've gone to the one in my hometown which is where I currently am. And they cannot do anything. I will have to go in to the station in my university town which is where the transaction took place which means waiting till monday.

Until then I'm having difficulties thinking straight because I'm so worried that I might get a criminal record or go to court.
    You won't - you got conned, not the other way around! You can't tell if counterfeit money is fake or not if it's cleverly done so don't worry. You'll be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have. I've gone to the one in my hometown which is where I currently am. And they cannot do anything. I will have to go in to the station in my university town which is where the transaction took place which means waiting till monday.

Until then I'm having difficulties thinking straight because I'm so worried that I might get a criminal record or go to court.

Why would you get a criminal record

I do not understand what you are worried about ... what criminal act do you think that you have committed

ReputationRep:
    I'm scared they would assume I am trying to pass counterfeit notes off as real with the knowledge they are fake.
    Why ... you reported it to the police ... you will have all of the paperwork

Unless there was a MASSIVE difference in what you paid and what you sold for ... why should they think anything other than you were a sucker who got taken

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you wouldn't go to the police if you were guilty :3

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    But assuming isn't enough to get you a criminal record or to take you to court. They'd have to prove it. Given the relatively small amount of money too, I doubt they'll be suspicious, and even if they were, for such a small amount of money, I doubt they'd do anything: it would cost them more to prosecute you than the value of the counterfeit money.

You'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Go to the police, if it was a public place surely there's CCTV that can verify your story?

ReputationRep:
    Chill!!!! You'll be fine honestly, you had no idea and this happens to people a lot being conned and the police will know this.
    If I were you, I'd go to the police and explain to them. They'll be really nice with you and pleased you came so they could catch whoever has been dishing out all this counterfeit money, especially if it's been happening a lot to people in your town/city!
    You will be fine though, you're innocent and if you do decide to go the police, they will know that too. You wouldn't have gone if you weren't innocent.

ReputationRep:
    This is like the time I threw a condom over my neighbours fence after i lost my virginity almost 3 years ago so my mum didn't find it. I thought my neighbour would see it and confront me or tell my mum. Nothing happened. I looked over the fence today and it's still sitting there...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    But who was cliffs?

ReputationRep:
    Cliffs?
    Can you simplify your OP by writing the situation in summary note form? I couldn't read all of that

ReputationRep:
    So basically I think I'm going to be accused of counterfeit money. And it's all my fault. I'm stressing out. I need advice/help.

I thought I would start buying and selling things to make a bit of extra money for university as I couldn't find a job. After being turned down again and again I started researching what I could trade.

I came to the conclusion I would trade phones but had to make sure it was not stolen.

Last week I picked up two iphones fairly cheap. One was faulty which I managed to repair with a bit of help from google and one was cheap as it was in a pretty bad state. I bought them both via gumtree.

Then yesterday I sold one of them again via gumtree. I made a major major mistake. The person rang me on a blocked number which should have been warning signs but in the pursuit of greed were put aside. Then this person came to meet me. I met in a public place for safety. He had a look at the phone and said he will go to the cash machine to withdraw money. So far so good. Thinking I've made some money on my first day or two of starting. I was pretty pleased with myself. That is until I tried to deposit the money into my bank account today. The machine said the notes are counterfeit and retained the money. My heart stopped and I'm still in a little shock. I can't believe it happened. I mean I hear this sort of stuff happening all the time but was too naive to think it would happen to me.

I am now scared to death that I will be accused of the counterfeit money. When I had no idea. I have just returned from university to my hometown (which is where I tried to deposit the money). The branch was closed so I will have to go first thing tomorrow to sort this out. I've contacted the local police station who said they will not be able to do anything without any line of enquiry.

I will not get the money back which is a pretty major blow as it means i have lost £150+ meaning I will be living on milk and oats for the rest of the semester if i'm lucky.

What I am really concerned about is being accused of trying to get away with counterfeit money. Getting a criminal record etc..

I am a medical student and this will probably lead me to getting kicked off the course. I am stressing out so much. I can't even think straight and have exams approaching.

I've learnt my lesson. I shall be staying away from gumtree ebay or any other website. I will not be internet banking anymore and will be taking my security and my moneys security very very seriously.

And I hope this provides useful for anybody thinking of trading on such websites. Stay safe and be aware you never know when dodgy thieving little ****s will be out to con you.

I have currently put another ad on gumtree in order to lure the same person in again so I can track him down. Little chance I know but it's worth a shot.
    If you went to the counter the likelihood is they would of put an ALERT on your account, stating that you tried to deposit fraudulent money. So it can be seen by all members of staff as a FRS Alert. Any fake money is bagged and sent off.... fake money is so easy to detect there is also a special pen you can buy for a few quid that you can use over each note, to check if its real.

People like that are organised, your just going to end up getting your head kicked in. Best left as a lesson learnt, if you really want to be a doctor, forget about the money live on oats.

"You can't cheat an honest man".

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 13, 2013
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.