Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm just going through some past papers (listening, reading & writing) and I've realised I have a big question to ask.
    When you have to answer questions in french, can you write down word for word what the answer is, exactly as it is in the text? So if you had an article that said 'Il faut écrire une lettre' and the question was asking you what must you do...can you literally write 'Il faut écrire une lettre' or do you need to rephrase?
    Good luck revising, frenchspeakers...

ReputationRep:
    You have to demonstrate that you understand what you have read. So if you just copy out great big chunks of text, even if it is the correct chunk of text, all you're showing the examiner is that you've located where in the text the answer is!

Some rephrasing is therefore essential. Obviously you will need to use some of the vocabulary in the text but, as a guideline, try to avoid copying phrases of more than 4 or 5 words.

It helps if you really address the question and focus on information which is needed for the main "question word" like pourquoi, comment, etc. That way you'll avoid using irrelevant information, for which you would be penalised.

Good luck with the exams!

ReputationRep:
    I would say that in the AQA FREN1 papers in the question where you have to answer in french you need to copy exactly what you hear because that is on the mark scheme, in my experience paraphrasing dosen't get you the marks.

ReputationRep:
    I paraphrased in my first one and didn't get the marks for it

ReputationRep:
    Anyone ideas on what the essay titles could be?

ReputationRep:
    Rephrasing definitely doesn't get you any marks, our teacher tells us to copy it completely out the text because there's been times in the past where the students have reworded it and it means exactly the same thing but since it wasn't on the mark scheme the examiner didn't give any marks. My guesses for essay titles would be Sport and Friendship, unsure about the other one however.

ReputationRep:
    Copy it completely!!! It says it on all of the examiners' reports if you want to check; please copy it out completely they take NO issue with that!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So... 35 mark questions...

sports and/or family do we reckon?

ReputationRep:
    Im thinking its most likely to be television, sports or holidays.

ReputationRep:
    the only topics i hate are family and friends

ReputationRep:
    Praying for a sport or health essay.
    I think family/friends would be difficult to get good marks in, for me anyway, seen as it's hard not to sound like a GCSE student and I personally find it quite boring so haven't learned much vocab for it.

ReputationRep:
    Hoping for sports/health too, what do you think they could ask?!
    And what are you putting in for complex structures, subjunctive etc?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.