Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to get over an ex without completely cutting them out my life? watch

I got broken up with about 3 months ago now.
    Me and my ex are friends, things havent been going too bad and sometimes chat every now and then,
    but recently since we have had easter holiday off of uni, he has become Hot and cold. and sometimes just ignores me.

I don't speak to him much because i know we both need time alone and space, but whenever i text to see how he is, its seems to never be a long talk, as he's busy(which i sometimes true)
    but then when i leave him alone, he would start texting me asking if i'd like to come out, and if i reply back, he'll talk to me for a bit and we're agree to meet in the week, but he then doesn't bother following it through and things like that.

I do want to move on fully, I've already moved on in the way of us never getting back together.
    but i dont want to completely cut him out my life and never speak or see him again.(if you get where im coming from)

He's my first boyfriend and our break up wasnt bad.
    so theres no reason on why we cant be friends in the long run or in time.
    and also his parents are good friends with mine.

but i think its time for me to let go of him for a while and not speak to him and stuff.
    because i get told 'if someone wants you in their life, they're show it or make effort'
    And if he really wants to stay friends as much as he says he does and how me wants to get along as friends, then i guess he'll contact me.

Just what's an easy way to move on? (without any other guys involved)

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you are not quite over him. Maybe even still contemplating reconciliation. Only cure, in my opinion, is new love.. No harm in still reminding friends but only if you have moved on.

ReputationRep:
    You seem to still have feelings for him, and you're not going to get over him if you're still in contact with him. If you had NO feelings for him at all, then yes.

So I suggest either:

- Keeping the possibility of contact open, but distancing yourself while you get over him.

- Completely cutting him off and moving on.

I strongly suggest the latter.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I got broken up with about 3 months ago now.
    Me and my ex are friends, things havent been going too bad and sometimes chat every now and then,
    but recently since we have had easter holiday off of uni, he has become Hot and cold. and sometimes just ignores me.

I don't speak to him much because i know we both need time alone and space, but whenever i text to see how he is, its seems to never be a long talk, as he's busy(which i sometimes true)
    but then when i leave him alone, he would start texting me asking if i'd like to come out, and if i reply back, he'll talk to me for a bit and we're agree to meet in the week, but he then doesn't bother following it through and things like that.

I do want to move on fully, I've already moved on in the way of us never getting back together.
    but i dont want to completely cut him out my life and never speak or see him again.(if you get where im coming from)

He's my first boyfriend and our break up wasnt bad.
    so theres no reason on why we cant be friends in the long run or in time.
    and also his parents are good friends with mine.

but i think its time for me to let go of him for a while and not speak to him and stuff.
    because i get told 'if someone wants you in their life, they're show it or make effort'
    And if he really wants to stay friends as much as he says he does and how me wants to get along as friends, then i guess he'll contact me.

Just what's an easy way to move on? (without any other guys involved)
    He's most probably also trying to cut you out as well...you have to look at it from both sides...I can understand from your bf point of view...he's in two minds about the whole situation just like the way you are. I personally think its best to cut out every connection be it texting or chatting online etc give it few weeks and time will heal. As it was your first relationship there will be fond memories but I think it's just about being realistic and realising that in this situation being friends may not be the best as it may have negative impacts in holding both you back from moving on and meeting NEW people...life's too short..so enjoy it while you can.

ReputationRep:
    an easy way to move on is to just let him go. if you cant talk to him or not talk to him without feeling 'funny' or 'caring' or anything in that category then you have got to let yourself let him go or you'll just carry on feeling uncomfortable about it like you are now. It'll take a long time, but that's better than sitting in the same zone for the same amount of time it takes to get over it right?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It is near impossible to get over someone unless you cut all forms of contact with them.

this is the thing im asking and saying 'i dont want to completely cut contact'

we both seem fine with space and not speaking for a while. which im continuing.

im mainly asking ways for me to move on Without cutting contact.?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    this is the thing im asking and saying 'i dont want to completely cut contact'

we both seem fine with space and not speaking for a while. which im continuing.

im mainly asking ways for me to move on Without cutting contact.?
    Well I am telling you from personal experience there isn't really a way without cutting contact.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.