Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Its been almost 5 weeks of going to the gym about 3 to 4 times a week . For the past 2 weeks I have been using creatine and protein shake . I do cardio 2 times a week because of the belly fat and I also do regular compound movements . I weigh about 90 KG so when will I start seeing results?

ReputationRep:
    Months for minor improvements that will be noticed by others.

Years for significant OMGWTF level improvement.

Both of the above assume that you're actually training hard and consistently and not just dicking about (not saying you are btw )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Old School)

Both of the above assume that you're actually training hard and consistently and not just dicking about (not saying you are btw )
    No I try my best to be honest its not easy . My mate started seeing results within 3 months last year and I just wanna be like him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Compare pics of what you looked like before with how you look after every month

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to say when you'll start seeing improvement without knowing a little about your diet and a bit of what your workout schedule looks like; what exercises, what weight you're using, how many reps etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    It's hard to say when you'll start seeing improvement without knowing a little about your diet and a bit of what your workout schedule looks like; what exercises, what weight you're using, how many reps etc.
    Monday
    Back work out 30 kg ,3 sets of 10 reps.

Wednesday
    Chest
    2 sets of 5kg bench press 10 reps
    25 kg of incline 2 sets of 10 reps.
    10 kg of curls _ 3 sets of 10 reps.

Friday
    Leg workout
    Squat 20 kg 10 reps 3 sets and others legs workouts of 25kg 3 sets each and 10 reps

I eat clean except custard and coke.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James Lucifer)
    Monday
    Back work out 30 kg ,3 sets of 10 reps.

Wednesday
    Chest
    2 sets of 5kg bench press 10 reps
    25 kg of incline 2 sets of 10 reps.
    10 kg of curls _ 3 sets of 10 reps.

Friday
    Leg workout
    Squat 20 kg 10 reps 3 sets and others legs workouts of 25kg 3 sets each and 10 reps

I eat clean except custard and coke.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you serious with that workout????? Noway near enough volume if thats all your doing!!!

You need to get a workout plan. If you want some i can find some for you or even write you up one. Since you are new to lifting you should be hitting every muscle group atleast twice a week. And be doing a lot more exercises. Noway you can grow without upping the volume all this workout is doing is giving you a pump.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... the volume of it is actually fine, decent amount of reps and good balance of days. However, the balance of exercises is way off. Rather than isolating one area with each day, a more effective way of forcing growth is to work opposing areas in one session. So your Monday session could be your chest & back day and look something like this:

Flat DB Press - 8 reps
    Barbell Rows - 8 reps
    Flat DB Press - 8 reps
    Barbell Rows - 8 reps
    Flat DB Press - 8 reps
    Barbell Rows - 8 reps

Incline Bench Press - 8 reps
    Lat Pulldown - 8 reps
    Incline Bench Press - 8 reps
    Lat Pulldown - 8 reps

Weighted Push Ups - Failure
    Wide Grip Chin Ups - Failure

Obviously feel free to tweek it as you see fit, but the idea would be to do a chest set, followed by a back set, chest, back, chest, back and so on. Then maybe do shoulder and legs on Wednesday, then arms on Friday, alternating between the opposing areas of the arm. Also, it's good to switch up what exercises you do every month or so, so you don't "plateu". Just keep the alternation format in mind.

Another thing I should add, you see a lot of guys in the gym do a set, then sit there and text on a few mins; don't do that. One of the best ways to force hypertrophy (muscle mass gain) is to take only about 60 seconds rest between sets.

If you're looking for a good supplement to help you put on muscle I'd recommend looking up Matrix Lean Mass XT on ebay, I've used it on and off for the past year and I get noticeably better gains on it than when I'm not using it. Only 40 quid for a huge ass 6.8kg tub and tastes lovely! Got a LOT of carbs and calories in it, but if you use it first thing in the morning and as a post-workout shake it shouldn't lead to fat gain and should only help your muscle growth (if you're looking for gains, excess calories is key). Of course also has a good amount of protein. Could also try Matrix Mass Gainer, which is pretty much the same stuff except there are more flavours available and it comes in 4kg tubs at £28.99 each, so better for just trying it out.

Also another tip; try and leave the cardio for now until you've actually started getting some gains. As I mentioned earlier, getting an excess of calories in your diet is key to muscle mass growth. So you don't really wanna be doing cardio to burn off weight just yet. That said, I have no idea how much stomach fat you have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fuze-mo25)
    Are you serious with that workout????? Noway near enough volume if thats all your doing!!!

You need to get a workout plan. If you want some i can find some for you or even write you up one. Since you are new to lifting you should be hitting every muscle group atleast twice a week. And be doing a lot more exercises. Noway you can grow without upping the volume all this workout is doing is giving you a pump.
    Yeah please mate I'm a newbie so please inbox me the workout plan.

ReputationRep:
    Can't tell if you're serious... Surely you don't go gym on a Monday and do one exercise?
    Edit: May have read it wrong, although you should still name each and how many exercises you would do.

Regardless, I would say get on a full body routine, working out 3 times a week for now. Then reassess the situation couple months later.

ReputationRep:
    This for appreciable gain in musculature:

(Original post by Old School)

However, if you are overweight and are trimming down, you can make a pretty noticeable change in months.

ReputationRep:
    I noticed changes in a month without creatine, you're doing something wrong.

ReputationRep:
    5x5 workout. Depends on your genetics, but I started seeing improvements in strength and build in a month with consistent training and diet.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that routine is pretty poor. There's a ton of good stuff out there, try BB.com or Mens Health.

Heck, if you want to do it holistically the best advice for someone new is try to get in the gym 3-4 times a week, aim to hit either hit every muscle group twice a week, or focus on 2-3 muscle groups each time you go to the gym. Try to do about 3-5 exercises for each muscle groups with a set range of 3-4 and a rep range of 6-12, depending on the exercise. It's easy to get overwhelmed when searching for a routine, there's thousands of them, and they all tell you something a bit different and all say they're the best.

Key things to remember. Do enough work. Keep good form. Stick to your diet. And then you'll see results.

Take a few photos of your front, back, sides etc every month. From Start you should see an obvious difference by month 3, if you're losing weight with it it'll be quicker. But 3 months is the magic number, in 3 months you're gunna see a difference and so will everyone else thanks to dem noob gains

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    Yeah, that routine is pretty poor. There's a ton of good stuff out there, try BB.com or Mens Health.

Heck, if you want to do it holistically the best advice for someone new is try to get in the gym 3-4 times a week, aim to hit either hit every muscle group twice a week, or focus on 2-3 muscle groups each time you go to the gym. Try to do about 3-5 exercises for each muscle groups with a set range of 3-4 and a rep range of 6-12, depending on the exercise. It's easy to get overwhelmed when searching for a routine, there's thousands of them, and they all tell you something a bit different and all say they're the best.

Key things to remember. Do enough work. Keep good form. Stick to your diet. And then you'll see results.

Take a few photos of your front, back, sides etc every month. From Start you should see an obvious difference by month 3, if you're losing weight with it it'll be quicker. But 3 months is the magic number, in 3 months you're gunna see a difference and so will everyone else thanks to dem noob gains
    Thanks for the advice bro

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)

Decent advice. I'd still recommend running a full body routine 3-4 times a week though for the 3-4 months, all depends on op's time schedule.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  It+Takes+4+Weeks+v2.png
Views: 91
Size:  313.0 KB

This maybe, provided you stick to a strict routine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.