not just obese but v.v.v. obese Watch

Lillybut
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
there's a programme on channel 5 about really heavy people. I know it sounds mean but its quite disturbing. I mean one of them just said they don't eat more than the average person which has got me totally cross eyed. I dont understand how a human could get so big and why they'd do it to themselves in the first place:confused:
xavier2k3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeh, i was just about to post this in the TV forum.

regards
--marty
Lucyvet2006
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Its really sad, food is horribly addictive yet marketed with barely any restriction from very young children upwards. These programs don't open people's eyes though, they just display people as a freak show so we can go 'well at least I'll never be THAT fat' and go back to whatever lifestyle we please. Scared that will be ME in the future I'm already slightly overweight. I'm really going to try and live somewhere were food isn't so sickeningly available and appealing (yes I know I can't blame FOOD completely!)
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
As you said, you don't understand, and you most likely never will.

These people are addicted to food, the same way that people get addicted to heroin, or other drugs. As with any addict, your health isn't the primary concern, getting your next hit(in this case, food) is.
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Sometimes it's hormonal/thyroid problems as well that cause it, I think.
Fruit-cake
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I just watched that program and I do wonder how people get that fat. the woman that weighed 48 stone wasnt moving anywhere, who took her her food?? jeez.
petri dish
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I have seen programs before where the family have been the ones continually giving them the bad foods...though that program made me sad, I was thinking exactly what mini_munchkin said, how can they let themselves get like that, then the woman on the tv said how did she let herself get like that and why didn't she stop, I just think for some people they really just can't control it
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What did they say? :eek:
svetlanka
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's been an hour since the programme finished and I still can't get out of my mind what I saw. I don't even feel sorry for these people. Only very weak characters can get addicted to something as mundane as food. It made me physically sick just to watch their deformed bodies
Live to eat has never been truer in their case. Pathetic.
grace
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by svetlanka)
It's been an hour since the programme finished and I still can't get out of my mind what I saw. I don't even feel sorry for these people. Only very weak characters can get addicted to something as mundane as food. It made me physically sick just to watch their deformed bodies
Live to eat has never been truer in their case. Pathetic.
why is it negative to be a weak character? do people who have depression make you feel physically sick?! do handicapped people or others with 'deformities' make you feel ill?! and aren't cigarettes and alcohol just as mundane as food?!

i personally feel very sorry for them. i would actually see no point in living if i was obese! it's sad they let themselves get to that stage, and sadder if they want to change but can't/don't know how.
svetlanka
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by minimo)
What did they say? :eek:
The woman said: Human body is a sex machine. There are many ways to have sexual pleasure: oral, sex between the breasts. In other words, being morbidly obese does not pose an obstacle to sex. This being said from a women who couldn't even move alone.
No need to say anything more. It was horrible.
svetlanka
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by grace)
why is it negative to be a weak character? do people who have depression make you feel physically sick?! do handicapped people or others with 'deformities' make you feel ill?! and aren't cigarettes and alcohol just as mundane as food?!

i personally feel very sorry for them. i would actually see no point in living if i was obese! it's sad they let themselves get to that stage, and sadder if they want to change but can't/don't know how.
Handicapped people or those with depression do not make me feel sick at all. Clearly it is not these people fault for their deformity/state of mind. There is a huge difference between a handicapped person and say the woman we saw on TV tonight. And I am not talking only about a generally weak character, I am talking about the extraordinary case of a woman who denyed herself life because she was too busy having an obsessive 30 year love affair with food.
I simply cannot understand.
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The woman said: Human body is a sex machine. There are many ways to have sexual pleasure: oral, sex between the breasts. In other words, being morbidly obese does not pose an obstacle to sex. This being said from a women who couldn't even move alone.
No need to say anything more. It was horrible.
Why do they do this to themselves? Surely they can take appetite suppressant drugs etc.
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Svetlanka, you're right, you can't understand, so don't **** them off for it. As I said, when food becomes a drug then you don't care about your appearance or health, just the next "hit" or "fix". Much in the same way that you see people lose their jobs, partners, houses, and lives, just to feed a drug addiction for something like heroin.

Minimo - appetite isn't the problem, these people aren't hungry(that said, there are a few rare cases that they are).
Pink_Chick
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Handicapped people or those with depression do not make me feel sick at all. Clearly it is not these people fault for their deformity/state of mind. There is a huge difference between a handicapped person and say the woman we saw on TV tonight. And I am not talking only about a generally weak character, I am talking about the extraordinary case of a woman who denyed herself life because she was too busy having an obsessive 30 year love affair with food.
I simply cannot understand.
hmm the biochemical explanations involved in depression and addicitve behaviours are very similar, so if this was (and i'm not saying it is) the cause of both disorders would you still say you felt sorry/compassion for the depressed person and not the overweight one? i don't see how anyone could say pull yourself together and stop eating to a morbidly obese, bedridden person, anymore than they could to someone who is so heavily depressed that they couldn't muster the strength get out of bed. i personally think it should be taken on an individual basis. the woman (and yes the sex talk did actually make me uncomfortable but it would have coming from a naked skinny bird laid across a bed giggling to herself too) who talked about sex also talked about how she was sexually and physically abused as a child and another guy on their talked about his alcholic father and abusive mother-can there not be a link?! yea you could say well not every abused as a child ends up that way, but they don't all end up junkies...but some do! i personally think there's lots of reasons for it, whether it's abuse, using it as a defence mechanism etc. i think some people do have very addictive personalities and i think this is a subcategory of addictive behaviours (one of the reasons the priory clinic treat people with binge eating disorders along with alcholics because they say it as an addictive behaviour). i do however believe that some ppl are honestly greedy or do just not care, like when women allow *feeders* to feed them up (whole other story!). yet i also think, to say it's pathetic or disgusting and insult such people is extremely narrowminded. to me these people were sick, with a mental disorder, it just so happens it was a less socially acceptable one and thus it is more acceptable to look down on *them*. i think vet lucy made really good points! it didn't open peoples' eyes enough, like it didn't look at WHY they were like they were. it reminded me of the recent surge of programmes on OCD which almost glamourised the disorder. they could have done so much more with it rather than just go for basic shock value (for the main part).

hmm i didn't mean to write that much. i guess it's just because i've known and do know so many people with eating disorders and addicitve behaviours, that it makes me sad to see them called pathetic. i guess everyone is entitled to thier opinion...*shrugs*.

*positive vibes* >>> for all

pc xXx
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by x.narb.x)
Svetlanka, you're right, you can't understand, so don't **** them off for it. As I said, when food becomes a drug then you don't care about your appearance or health, just the next "hit" or "fix". Much in the same way that you see people lose their jobs, partners, houses, and lives, just to feed a drug addiction for something like heroin.

Minimo - appetite isn't the problem, these people aren't hungry(that said, there are a few rare cases that they are).
But surely if they can't move, then can't get food, so they can be put on a nutrient drip or something which doesn't provide them with fats/carbs, so theire body has to burn fat in order to survive???
saoirse
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It is simply ignorant to suppose that food is "mundane". People can get addicted to ANYTHING - drink, food, religion

With most addictions, its not even the substance itself you are addicted to. Its the wonderful feeling you get planning to,just before and as you start to indulge in your poison. Purely unhealthy brain programming
Pink_Chick
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
good post saorise =)
grace
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i agree with pink chick, i've heard of some girls who were sexually abused as children and eat and eat and eat to try and make themselves 'protected' against any further abuse.

i remember also when my dad had to go away on business for a year when us kids were quite young, my little brother (who was only about 8) started eating loads and put on a lot of weight for no apparent reason; we are an active family with quite healthy eating patterns. he was too young to have a growth spurt or anything, so the feasible reason is that he was trying to fill some kind of a void. when my dad came back he went back to a normal weight....

i'm just saying that when you're actually fat enough to be killing yourself it has gone waaaaaay beyond 'hmmm i fancy a chocolate bar'. there's definitely something much deeper.
Robob
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by saoirse)
It is simply ignorant to suppose that food is "mundane". People can get addicted to ANYTHING - drink, food, religion
Quite often all three...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (250)
39.06%
No - but I will (44)
6.88%
No - I don't want to (47)
7.34%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (299)
46.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed