not just obese but v.v.v. obese Watch

Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by minimo)
But surely if they can't move, then can't get food, so they can be put on a nutrient drip or something which doesn't provide them with fats/carbs, so theire body has to burn fat in order to survive???
When you're an addict you find ways, whether thats to bribe hospital staff or to get friends/family/partners to bring food to you, theres a way,
silverbolt
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by minimo)
Sometimes it's hormonal/thyroid problems as well that cause it, I think.
thats true but for some it merely a lack of discipline. they overindulge in really bad things fried foods chocolates mcdonalds etc.
minimo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
To whoever neg-repped me for this: I want to say that I'm no skinny girl rolling my eyes at fat people. I'm pretty large myself, have problems with my weight and controlling food cravings. BUT I can talk because I'm trying to deal with it. I diet and, whilst I don't have time with exams atm, I intend to exercise loads over the summer. And it's not easy - you're body says 'eat, eat, eat' and it takes A LOT of willpower to say 'NO I'm not going to eat'. I have limited pity for people like this (unless it's because of thyroid deficiencies etc). I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be in the position that they are in if they lived in sub-saharan Africa. And it's one thing having a problem, and another to make excuses and say that you eat as much as an average person/sex isn't a problem etc etc. Sorry if it's harsh, but I doubt I'm going to change my opinion on this.
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Get off my case, will you?
Ting-Ting
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I read that (in a recent research) genes can contribute to obesity whetehr or not the person is exercising or eating right or not.

I remember watching a programme about the morbidly obese and this doctor who works there said that these people are really confused as to why they are termed as morbidly obese. He said that one of his patients said that he only ate oranges...why is he obese? because oranges are healthy right? So the doctor asked 'how many oranges do you eat?' The patient replied "I eat 45 oranges everyday". And he was really clueless as to why hes obese!

Its quite sad really...coz they have to go to to physio and stuff just to keep their bodies working again.
anjimcflanji
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It was rather worrying this show...I felt horrid after watching it. The thing was tho, that there was a heavy wieghted arguement on genes being responsible....I , however, think that mcdonalds on every corner and such are more to blame that genes.
It is very sad that these people do get addicted to food. Like one of the patients said ' An addict usually stays away from drugs, or an alcoholic from bars....but you need food to live.'
I don't see why tho these people can't be given food drips as it's not as tho they can't burn these calories they have stored. One guy amassed half a ton!!!!!! I am always grazing throughout the day, and am only 7.5 stone but what worries me is when my metabolism slows down is whether my appetite will too....
It is quite disgusting in this world where children die every minute from starvation that we stuff ourselves to death....I think there needs to be something done about it....before our overweight toddles die at 35....
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Obviously, some people are genetically predisposed to being fatter than others. This is unfortunate for them and must be a difficult affliction to have to live with. However, if they want to be healthy and live a decnet life, they have to recognise that they cannot get away with eating and not excercising the way some 'skinny' people can and do something about it. Surely it still applies to these people that if you eat fewer calories than you burn off, then you will lose fat. Isn't that just physics?
bedbug
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by 1013)
Surely it still applies to these people that if you eat fewer calories than you burn off, then you will lose fat. Isn't that just physics?
It must do, they probably just burn off fewer calories than other people.

I do feel sorry for these people, I know it must be hard to have an addiction to food, but I can't help feeling disgusted. It doesn't look like an addiction, it just looks like such an immense lack of self control and self respect.
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Its not genetics or a problem they have, they are simply addicted to food. Dunno how many times I'll have to keep saying this.
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by squirly)
It must do, they probably just burn off fewer calories than other people.

I do feel sorry for these people, I know it must be hard to have an addiction to food, but I can't help feeling disgusted. It doesn't look like an addiction, it just looks like such an immense lack of self control and self respect.
Isn't that what addiction is?
bedbug
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I suppose so.. but an addiction seems to be an excuse. Saying someone is addicted seems to make it more acceptable for them to continue that behaviour. I don't know really.. although you can get addicted to pretty much anything, I think addictions to things that are commonly addictive (eg smoking) are a lot more accepted than things everyone do normally (eg eating).
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yes, its more commonly accepted, it doesn't mean thats its better/worse. I agree that getting addicted to food is a pretty weak thing to do, as in, its easy to break the addiction just by being disciplined, however, if an alcoholic could have a beer everyday, or a heroin addict have a little bit of heroin everyday, how far do you think they'd get in breaking their addiction?
bedbug
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
That's true. It's probably a hard addiction to crack, what I don't understand though is how people let it become an addiction in the first place. Do they not look at themselves when they see themselves putting on a lot of weight and think "ok, I can either carry on as I am and risk my life for my love of food, or I can get my act together and sort myself out"?
musicdreamer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
There's a documentary today about a 485 kg man. I might watch that to see if they say anything abt causes for extreme obesity.
Clairface
Report 12 years ago
I love food myself and am probably about a stone overweight (a stone is 13 lbs yes?).

The only reason I'm not obese is that I control my love of food through healthy means... I cook for myself and create new, interesting dishes. When I go out to restaurants the problem comes, moreso within America than my new residence here in England.

Can I just say that we (Americans) are exporting our fast food nation en masse. Fast food is cheap and readily available, and is the main culprit in teenage obesity.

I think a love of food (junk food) can be transformed into a love of good foods and healthy cooking in most people. This is the way forward, or at least one way forward.
musicdreamer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Clairface)
I think a love of food (junk food) can be transformed into a love of good foods and healthy cooking in most people. This is the way forward, or at least one way forward.
I completely agree. Healthy food can be just as nice (even nicer) than junk food.
bedbug
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Clairface)
a stone is 13 lbs yes?
nearly.. 14lbs :p:
JitsuCol
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by musicdreamer)
There's a documentary today about a 485 kg man. I might watch that to see if they say anything abt causes for extreme obesity.
That isn't possible is it? That would be 8 of me..!
Worrying...
musicdreamer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by JitsuCol)
Worrying...
Apparently it is. They say he's the world's fattest man. His name is Patrick Deuel. It's a British documentary btw called Half Ton Man.
Lucyvet2006
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by JitsuCol)
Worrying...
It is worrying but even more worrying is that's only 7 of me! and I'm a girl! have put on about 4 stone in the last 2 years (although I was a little underweight to begin with), if I keep going at the same rate in 16.5 years I will be that man! :eek:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (441)
37.89%
No - but I will (88)
7.56%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.87%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (555)
47.68%

Watched Threads