?
Report 12 years ago
It's only 7 of me tooo :eek:
bedbug
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Haha I just tried to work out how many of me it was and came up with 11. Then realised I'd put in 685 instead of 485... :rolleyes:
OctoberPoppy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
That programme yesterday evening was really shocking. The woman was horrifying. Truly truly disgusting. And I don't mean her weight. I mean her flippant, blasé remarks about sex- this from the woman who was supposedly abused. She didn't seem to care about her husband and the indignities he suffered. Why should he have to be a full time carer when she could change her situation? It's not like she was helpless. Maybe I'm hard-hearted, but my attitude is that fine, be addicted to food but why do you have to eat to that extent. The guy with the burgers, he was just mindlessly shovelling them down. The woman on the bed, it was TWO large ice cream cartons in front of her, not just one. They talked about their children, their grandchildren but they still didn't care about them enough to put them before their own selfish desires.

I mean, to put it in context, I watched a couple of Gillian McKeith's programs (bad I know, and by no means do I consider her a scientific expert) but the quantities of what people ate there was immense and their size was no where near, nowhere NEAR that of the people on this people. The guy who went into rehab with the cane and said all that about 'it's so difficult, because we have to eat our drug everyday', whilst I agree with this I think that he's a bit of an attention seeker. I saw him on that 'world's largest man' programme as well. They ALLOW themselves to be portrayed as freaks. What normal person would allow a camera crew to photograph their naked distorted body in all their 'glory'? How could she let those people painstakingly clean her arse after excretion and powder everything down?? She didn't seem to have humiliation. What on earth did she do when her period arrived?? How can she let herself get to a state where her teeth had fallen out and were all blackened, where she couldn't turn over, wear clothes, where her exercise was kicking her lower legs and that's it. Grotesque.

I'm not being 'fattist'. I have no sympathy for heroin addicts, smokers, the lot. They've done it to themselves. These people know the consequences. They made Hurley from Lost look like a midget. I'm a size 12/14 and 5'6 and have issues about my weight but I look like a stick insect, or an anorexic in comparison. People all the time whinge about their lack of motivation en ce qui concerne revision or being too lazy to clean. But that program reminds me of how much self-restraint I do have and also serves as a warning- I never want to be that undignified. There's dignity in being incapacitated due to an illness or an accident or some other equivalent external force, but to let yourself get into that state and revel in your gluttony and demand attention and sympathy...

Need I say more?
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
VERY VERY well said. Rep on the way.
musicdreamer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by *Arc)
They made Hurley from Lost look like a midget.
:rofl: Have a lovely image in my head now..
Lucyvet2006
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I still can't completely agree with you, you're saying that because their weight and eating habits are so extreme then it must be their fault and can't be an addiction thats got waay out of control, that because things have got SO bad then they must be crazy to 'choose' to continue that way.

If you saw me in the street you wouldn't think 'oh my god has she no shame 'the way you think of those people because I'm not obese (yet) but I've had moments that are pretty humiliating and show lack of self-control and self-respect, even at a normal-low weight due to binge eating + bulimia. An anorexic/bulimic might wolf down two apples and a yoghurt and think 'look at me, how disgusting, I have no self-control'... a binge-eating bulimic might eat several chocolate bars, a packet of biscuits etc and think the same + so on up the scale- I don't think that if someone 'binges' on 10 times the amount that someone else does, then it doesn't mean they're suffering in the same way.

Binge eating disorder is just one end of a huge scale of eating disorders, OK maybe you'd look at a 14-year old anorexic girl and think 'how selfish is she? how humiliating to look like that and end up in hospital- to become incontinent or take laxatives' but I think you'd recognise that she was suffering from an illness more than you would if it was the other extreme.

I think they suffer physically and emotionally more than you could imagine from the consequences of their eating- the choice to live without food, which has become the only thing in their world to cling onto- just seems to hard, especially with so many people not understanding and judgeing them.
PHEW what a rant.
chamelean75
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Does anyone know where I can watch this documentry? It sounds interesting. What is the name of the show? Maybe I can download it but I have no idea where I could download it. I don't live in the UK.
musicdreamer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by chamelean75)
Does anyone know where I can watch this documentry? It sounds interesting. What is the name of the show? Maybe I can download it but I have no idea where I could download it. I don't live in the UK.
If you're talking about the documentary I mentioned about the 485 kg man, its called the Half Ton Man. I don't know where you could watch it tho..I'm watching it on Finnish tv now..
Anonymous #1
Report 12 years ago
I can easily see how someone can get addicted to food. I certainly am, and I do tend to go on binges. I see what people are saying about putting yourself on telly as a freak show and making such flippant remarks about sex though. Also has anyone else noticed that if you have a mcdonalds a) you are still hungry no matter how big it is and b) you want another one the next day. But then if you dont have one for ages it seems less appealing? Maybe its just me.
musicdreamer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
In the documentary, this obesity surgeon has this fat gene theory which says that some people have a gene that makes them overeat and makes it harder to lose weight. The gene was apparently developed at some point to help people survive famine.

The guy is huuuge. His skin has stretched past its limit and he can't lie on his back cause he can't breathe since the fat pushes down on his lungs not letting them expand. The doctors say he must have eaten about 15,000 calories per day to get to that weight..i think that was equivalent to about 15 large pizzas..
maag101
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yup, and he says that he doesn't eat more than the average person!! I'm not sure, I may be generalising here, but I didn't think 15,000 calories a day was average. I'm fairly sure that it's around 2,500 for a man. And if you're feeling porky, maybe 3,500... certainly not 15,000.

But hey, what do I know? I'm just an average person. These people really confuse me. They go on about how they don't eat/drink/ do anything out of the ordinary, but they are nearly 10 times my weight.
Lucyvet2006
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by musicdreamer)
In the documentary, this obesity surgeon has this fat gene theory which says that some people have a gene that makes them overeat and makes it harder to lose weight. The gene was apparently developed at some point to help people survive famine.

The guy is huuuge. His skin has stretched past its limit and he can't lie on his back cause he can't breathe since the fat pushes down on his lungs not letting them expand. The doctors say he must have eaten about 15,000 calories per day to get to that weight..i think that was equivalent to about 15 large pizzas..
To be honest I think we are all genetically programmed to some extent to search out high calorie food and eat it before the next famine. There's a reason why people like anything starchy/sugary/fatty and its a biologically sound one- it doesn't make them a 'freak' its what the body is programmed to do. Of course food is disgustingly plentiful in developed countries, and packaged in a high sugar, fat + salt format to make it appealing and 'convenient', even more so in America than the UK (so far). Junk food is made moist and oily so you can still eat it when you're already full.

There are also biochemical factors at work similar to those which cause depression- (I don't fully understand it but from what I've heard explained to me...) dopamine causes you to 'want'- normally food but can be alcohol, exercise, sex even. Once you get your fix seretonin gets released- should be end of story. But if you eat for reasons other than hunger- i.e. boredom, just because there's food there or because its what everyone else in your family does, then it messes up your dopamine/seratonin balance and the 'fix' no longer satisfies you like it did before.

Also, once you start overeating and enjoying those lovely addictive chemicals in junk food (esp chocolate) you get hooked (More info try watching 'Supersize me' or read books like 'Eating Less') .Your stomach stretches to accomodate the food that you keep shovelling in. Poor diet leads to malnutrition (even 15 pizzas probably won't supply you with the range of vits and minerals etc that you need) and dehydration, which contribute (as well as social isolation and low self-esteem) to lethargy and depression- which makes 'going on a health kick' an even more almighty challenge.

As far as treatment/therapy goes, with an epidemic of obesity in the UK and a struggling health service- its pretty non-existant. There aren't really any free 'priory' type centres where you can go to kick your addiction- celebs have their 'boot camp' type health farms but a stay would cos thousands. Weight-loss surgery is only available on the nhs for the morbidely obese and appetite supressing drugs, although they do a roaring trade, don't work.

Well depressing as it is I'm hoping I won't always be addicted to food + end up 1/2 a ton heavy- god knows I'd rather be addicted to sex or shopping! Grr I wish people would wake up to the reality of obesity and not just say 'wooow they're huge, why don't they just eat less and exercise?!'
musicdreamer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by maag101)
Yup, and he says that he doesn't eat more than the average person!! I'm not sure, I may be generalising here, but I didn't think 15,000 calories a day was average. I'm fairly sure that it's around 2,500 for a man. And if you're feeling porky, maybe 3,500... certainly not 15,000.

But hey, what do I know? I'm just an average person. These people really confuse me. They go on about how they don't eat/drink/ do anything out of the ordinary, but they are nearly 10 times my weight.
One guy ate 20 hotdogs in one sitting.

Apparently obese people are addicted to food in the same way as drug addicts or alcoholics. They want their brain to release more dopamine which makes them feel good.
However, I think that the whole issue can't be blamed on a gene or addiction. Some people tend to eat to help them cope with problems or out of boredom. If that is the case then just simple diet and exercise wouldn't help cause they'll just gain the weight back unless the actual problem is taken care of.
musicdreamer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lucyvet2006)
I wish people would wake up to the reality of obesity and not just say 'wooow they're huge, why don't they just eat less and exercise?!'
I agree with you and know that it isn't always as simple as eating less and exercise. See my previous post.
jpowell
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I can easily see how someone can get addicted to food. I certainly am, and I do tend to go on binges. I see what people are saying about putting yourself on telly as a freak show and making such flippant remarks about sex though. Also has anyone else noticed that if you have a mcdonalds a) you are still hungry no matter how big it is and b) you want another one the next day. But then if you dont have one for ages it seems less appealing? Maybe its just me.
That is simply because Macdonalds has next to no nutritional value. It is quite literally empty calories. It works in their interests to never truly sate their customers hunger.

Drug addicts shouldn't be given sympathy just because they are drug addicts. I have no more sympathy for someone addicted to heroin than someone addicted to food. These people become parasites on others because they get to the stage where they cannot move themselves. Ultimately they should feel shame for allowing themselves to become such a burden.

Anyone however who seeks help and truly wants to change is to be commended, and should be helped by others in whatever ways are possible.
Lillybut
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
it just shocks me to the extent addiction to anything can affect people soo much.
But are these people on the tv show a lost cause???????? (btw thats not my opinion, i just wanted peoples thoughts on this idea )
musicdreamer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lillybut)
But are these people on the tv show a lost cause???????? (btw thats not my opinion, i just wanted peoples thoughts on this idea )
Some of them I think might be..there was one guy who lost loads of weight and was really thin but then gained it all back. He kept blaming it on the addiction and thus making the problem out of his control. He seemed like he didn't really want to change so in that way he's a lost cause.

However there were other people who really did want to lose weight and did. I think if you're determined and don't believe that you'll fail due to a gene or addiction you'll lose the weight.
Lucyvet2006
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lillybut)
it just shocks me to the extent addiction to anything can affect people soo much.
Its a good question- I'm 2 stone over my ideal weight and it seems like an ENORMOUS mountain to climb when cravings are so powerful and food is everywhere. The amount of times I've tried and crashed and burned I couldn't begin to count. I feel like a lost cause sometimes esp when the needle on the scale goes up instead of down + I get blue and eat a ton more, but I still think that things can change, my life will change and my motivation will increase hopefully.
If, however, I was 20 stone overweight- I can't imagine even beginning to lose it- in some ways it would be easier I think, people would be more willing to help + physically STOP you from eating if you asked them to, and when you've got a lot of weight to lose, once you start you can lose it more quickly than an average person, and you would qualify for a gastric band and/or liposuction.
From what people have said(didn't see the program), a lot of these people are in denial that they have a problem, or just too scared to face up to it- and at the moment I've got to say they sound like a lost cause if noone can get through to them.
Maybe with the right medical help then can improve their life-expectancy to some degree but with an addiction THAT advanced they'd have to have a lot of support and more willpower than you can shake a stick at!
Anonymous #1
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lucyvet2006)
Its a good question- I'm 2 stone over my ideal weight and it seems like an ENORMOUS mountain to climb when cravings are so powerful and food is everywhere. The amount of times I've tried and crashed and burned I couldn't begin to count. I feel like a lost cause sometimes esp when the needle on the scale goes up instead of down + I get blue and eat a ton more, but I still think that things can change, my life will change and my motivation will increase hopefully.
Me too and I'm 3 stone and 4lbs over what I want to be.
starya
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I just saw this documentary about the 485kg man and it's shocking. The state that people let themselves get to!

As someone already mentioned, the documentary very much emphasized that genes are the cause of obesity. Now while this might be true, I'd refuse to believe that genes are the only cause. Genes set the boundaries for what our body is like, while the environment (and diet, habits, etc) define where our body fits within those boundaries. If you eat 15 pizzas in a day, you'll get fat no matter what your genes are. Yes, evolution has favoured those who've been able to store a lot of fat, but why would there be a greater concentration of those people with the gene in the US than else where in the world? Surely their eating habits play a major role in the number of obese people.

I realise it isn't just that easy to stop eating and lose weight. Also, the fat cells of fat people are actually bigger and thus they are more likely to put on weight again if they lose it, so it is actually more difficult for them. But when you get to the point where you can't move on your own, go to the bathroom on your own, or even get your own food, shouldn't that be telling you something isn't right?

-----
I've been wondering about something very slightly relating to this:
Do fat cells actually reduce in size if you stop overeating? Or if you reduce the fat content of the body?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (380)
37.33%
No - but I will (78)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (71)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (489)
48.04%

Watched Threads