not just obese but v.v.v. obese Watch

Lucyvet2006
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Sorani)
I haven't watched the show and by the way people are talking I assumed it was portrayed in a way that you were supposed to feel sorry for them.

I know several obese people and not a single one of them binge eat because they've been in bad situations - they have happy normal lives, they just eat too much.
And I hate that people seem to state that certain foods are on the same addictive levels as drink and drugs, why is this? Because the one doctor on Supersize Me said it about McDonalds? We know how addictive things like heroin, nicotine and alcohol can be but I seriously doubt that there is enough solid evidence saying with 100% truth that junk food is addictive on a drug-level.
I've seen people eat several McDonalds meals a week, then just go without for a long time - could they do the same thing with illegal drugs? I doubt it.
People with troubled lives rarely turn to food, some people who are lonely will but if you want to go to the extreme level of say abused children or raped women/men - how many stories do you hear of these people becoming obese because food helped them cope with it?
And going on another path - if people eat to cope with stuff they've been through then why is it the USA and the UK that seem to have the higher amounts of troubled people? What about Japan? Or France? They can get junk food - why aren't they dependent on it?

They can be common but they're not *very* common
About 2 percent of all adults in the United States (as many as 4 million Americans) have binge eating disorder. About 10 to 15 percent of people who are mildly obese and who try to lose weight on their own or through commercial weight-loss programs have binge eating disorder. The disorder is even more common in people who are severely obese

There's a lot of medical and psychological research into the addictive qualities of high fat, high sugar, refined + processed foods. There are MANY people who use food to cope with abuse + rape, it is an extremely common factor in why people develop anorexia and bulimia and although not as much research has been done into people with compulsive overeating/binge-eating disorder, I've certainly heard of people using food as a coping mechanism that have been abused either in childhood or later on.
You mention Japan, France etc- obesity rates in France are increasing with the availability of junk food, but the UK and USA are the main countries where junk food/convenience food is very readily available and cheap.
Obviously not EVERYONE finds junk food addictive, some people are more suseptable to addiction- as in the case of cannabis, some people smoke it a few times when they're a teenager and then forget about it, whereas some people become completely dependent on it.
Your own experience with food is obviously different to mine, I'm aware that I've put on a lot of weight through binge-eating, following a combination of anorexia/bulimia. I haven't suffered abuse but I know that I use food as a comfort and don't just eat when I'm hungry. I'm also pretty aware of the addictive qualities of food- if I try and eat healthily after a while the cravings for refined, junky food wear off, but if I then eat something very fatty or sugary I have a massive urge to eat more and more of it.
Food is not classified as an addictive substance because you can never abstain from it, but as all our survival instincts are so closely linked with 'must get food to survive' food gives us massive 'feel-good' rushes, obviously to a lesser extent than drugs, but is far far more available and socially acceptable.
Sorani
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Your own experience with food is obviously different to mine, I'm aware that I've put on a lot of weight through binge-eating, following a combination of anorexia/bulimia
I was an overweight girl who lost weight, became obsessed with it and became anorexic (although I'm not anymore). Our experiences are slightly different but not dramatically.
And I'm sorry that you had anorexia/bulimia it's a horrible thing to go through.

I haven't suffered abuse but I know that I use food as a comfort and don't just eat when I'm hungry
I don't always eat when I'm hungry and do when I'm bored sometimes but to be fair here you have to eat *a lot* to become morbidly obese, it's not just eating more than you should, it's knowing that you're eating too much because your health becomes terrible and you become slow, moody and easily sick because of bad health.
And I didn't use food to cope with abuse, and would never have thought to.
Lucyvet2006
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I was an overweight girl who lost weight, became obsessed with it and became anorexic (although I'm not anymore). Our experiences are slightly different but not dramatically.
And I'm sorry that you had anorexia/bulimia it's a horrible thing to go through.

I don't always eat when I'm hungry and do when I'm bored sometimes but to be fair here you have to eat *a lot* to become morbidly obese, it's not just eating more than you should, it's knowing that you're eating too much because your health becomes terrible and you become slow, moody and easily sick because of bad health.
And I didn't use food to cope with abuse, and would never have thought to.
Anorexia and bulimia are both a nightmare + I have sympathy with anyone suffering from either/both but I think binge-eating/compulsive over-eating disorders are horrible too, horrible to live with as you say, KNOWING you are doing your body harm but too stuck in the cycle, unsupported, demotivated or without any alternative- to get out. Whatever weight you are, if you're underweight, normal, overweight or obese its horrible if you feel like everyone is judging you and thinking you're FAT or that because you're fat you must be lazy, selfish and useless.
I know being morbidly obese is a real extreme and not that many people get that bad but as I said before- I continued to eat in the distructive way that I have over the last 2 years (having gone from bmi 15.5 to nearly 26 through binge-eating) , I could become morbidly obese very quickly. Obviously I'm trying NOT to but its an uphill struggle.
I count myself as lazy and selfish and greedy but I know that my personality isn't like that, and only from what other people have said- my friends, a couple of different counsellors + doctors- that I can accept that maybe it's not 100% my fault, if it was a simple choice between bingeing and being healthy again, of course rationally I'd choose healthy and slim- but there are a lot of other factors, biochemical, psychological and yes- me being a wimp- pulling me the other way.
Sorani
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think binge-eating/compulsive over-eating disorders are horrible too, horrible to live with as you say, KNOWING you are doing your body harm but too stuck in the cycle, unsupported, demotivated or without any alternative- to get out. Whatever weight you are, if you're underweight, normal, overweight or obese its horrible if you feel like everyone is judging you and thinking you're FAT or that because you're fat you must be lazy, selfish and useless.
I agree with that but a number of posts have been trying to say that *all* fat people are suffering from this disorder and it is in no way fair to shove suffering people with people who are doing it just because they're lazy and greedy. It's the same as calling all ultra-skinny girls anorexic or under-eaters, it's not fair to them.

I could become morbidly obese very quickly. Obviously I'm trying NOT to but its an uphill struggle.
I count myself as lazy and selfish and greedy but I know that my personality isn't like that, and only from what other people have said- my friends, a couple of different counsellors + doctors- that I can accept that maybe it's not 100% my fault, if it was a simple choice between bingeing and being healthy again, of course rationally I'd choose healthy and slim- but there are a lot of other factors, biochemical, psychological and yes- me being a wimp- pulling me the other way.
I feel sorry for you, I genuinely do but also I don't understand why you have to eat for comfort, from your post you have friends and counsillors and doctors helping you and I don't know but I hope you have a loving family. So why are you so sad that you feel the need to comfort eat?
Hanzing
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
And I hate that people seem to state that certain foods are on the same addictive levels as drink and drugs, why is this? Because the one doctor on Supersize Me said it about McDonalds? We know how addictive things like heroin, nicotine and alcohol can be but I seriously doubt that there is enough solid evidence saying with 100% truth that junk food is addictive on a drug-level.
The thing is it is eating certain food that trigger a hormonal response in you system releasing endorphins, That make you feel happy. This becomes into a conditioning level where you associate the food, and tend to crave it. Its exactly the same principles as people who become addicted to exercise - The endorphins it releases lead people to exercise more and more, and also sex addiction where the pleasure hormone becomes an addictive experience. Its not what they effectively do to you like drugs, its what they results within you and the experience. Its like stimulating your own natural drug in your body hence very similar. Instead of taking a drug, you eat, exercise, have sex in order to stimulate one.
Hanzing
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I feel sorry for you, I genuinely do but also I don't understand why you have to eat for comfort, from your post you have friends and counsillors and doctors helping you and I don't know but I hope you have a loving family. So why are you so sad that you feel the need to comfort eat?
Millions of people comfort eat and a fair few have happy families and support, Its just something within them. Sometimes things cant automatically be changed by those around you and having a general happy life. Its down to the individual and there thoughts. I have a good family Usually (Latley its been pretty bad.) But even when things were fine I comfort ate Because I felt generaaly quite low in myself.
Sorani
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I have a good family Usually (Latley its been pretty bad.)
Sorry.

The thing is it is eating certain food that trigger a hormonal response in you system releasing endorphins, That make you feel happy
As much as that can happen with food, if it was quite strong wouldn't there be more people binge-eating? I mean yes there are an increasing amount of overweight/obese people but there are still more slimmer people. There are a lot of people who need the comfort but they don't end up eating for it.
Hanzing
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Thanks
True, It doesnt explain most, But it may be one cause. I think its the case that some people react differently to these hormones, or else for example we would all be addicted to sex, But only few are. Also some people posses personality traits such as I supose more self control, tend to be more stronger to resist such things. Also though I supose many eat just for the sake, sometimes Im eating and I dont even realise it.
Lucyvet2006
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I was lucky when I had anorexia that I was able to be referred by my Dr to an edu and although they couldn't offer much help in the way of therapy they weighed me weekly until I no longer had the self-control to keep starving so I started bingeing and there wasn't much they could do or say to help. At the moment there's no help I can expect from my Dr, its impossible to get an appointment and last time I saw her she gave me anti-depressants and I od-ed on them so I don't think I'm her fave person!
I'm lucky at school there's a counsellor I get on with + she's been really understanding the last year, she can't really stop me binge-eating but can help me look at the cause of it. She reckons some of it is psychological- I beat myself up and hate myself for being fat + not having the willpower to stop eating, I set myself goals and then when I fail I comfort myself even more with food.
The reason I over-eat is probably to compensate for not being close to any of my family + being v judged and hassled by my Mum (she HATES fat people + always tries to make us feel guilty for eating). Basically I just get isolated and feel inadequate and helpess to do anything about it, my Dr said I was depressed but I don't really think so, its just a hellova trying to get away from binge-eating when its a constant threat + comfort.
Sorani
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The reason I over-eat is probably to compensate for not being close to any of my family + being v judged and hassled by my Mum (she HATES fat people + always tries to make us feel guilty for eating).
I had something similar to that but as a kid it was more like my mom just couldn't control her temper, I ended up hating her and all that. Moms can be pretty terrible.
Anonymous #1
Report 12 years ago
I know several obese people and not a single one of them binge eat because they've been in bad situations - they have happy normal lives, they just eat too much.
I've seen people eat several McDonalds meals a week, then just go without for a long time - could they do the same thing with illegal drugs? I doubt it.
People with troubled lives rarely turn to food, some people who are lonely will but if you want to go to the extreme level of say abused children or raped women/men - how many stories do you hear of these people becoming obese because food helped them cope with it?
And going on another path - if people eat to cope with stuff they've been through then why is it the USA and the UK that seem to have the higher amounts of troubled people? What about Japan? Or France? They can get junk food - why aren't they dependent on it?

They can be common but they're not *very* common
One of the people in the show started putting on weight when she was sexually abused and a child and this is apparantly quite a common defense mechanism to that. In Japan they have a problem with hermits, in France if they have a tiny problem they strike. Also neither of these countries has had these types of food to this extent for as long, or has had the too-busy-to-cook culture or has been bottle fed and had the wrong healthy-weight given out if they were breast fed causing them to be 'topped up' with bottle milk when they didnt need it. All these things contribute.

I would say most people who are overweight, and dont like being, have problem with food and bingeing. I did when I was a normal weight, and I do now that I am quite a lot overweight. Nobody else knows that though. And I suspect this is the same for some of your friends.

I am not, however, saying that you should have sympathy or they have an excuse. I am simply saying that a lot of people can relate to this kind of thing, and that is why they are sympathetic.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (432)
37.47%
No - but I will (88)
7.63%
No - I don't want to (79)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (554)
48.05%

Watched Threads