Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A* Science/Math Students - Unfamiliar Questions in an Exam HELP? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I was wondering whether anyone could help me who gets A* type grades in the sciences?

Sometimes when I am doing Practice/Mock Exam Papers and Questions I phase out when I see an unfamiliar question and am tempted to look in the back of the book.

I study Maths Physics and Chemistry.

What is your approach when this happens, as I can't exactly look in the answers during an Exam? Or How can I better my Exam Technique to reduce the chances of me saying to myself - wait what? Or is this generally the first step in problem solving

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    You should think about it first. After a decent amount of time, consult a textbook or your notes. Then think about it some more. If you are still completely stuck, then look at the answer. But make an attempt first.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Better)
    Hello,

I was wondering whether anyone could help me who gets A* type grades in the sciences?

Sometimes when I am doing Practice/Mock Exam Papers and Questions I phase out when I see an unfamiliar question and am tempted to look in the back of the book.

I study Maths Physics and Chemistry.

What is your approach when this happens, as I can't exactly look in the answers during an Exam? Or How can I better my Exam Technique to reduce the chances of me saying to myself - wait what? Or is this generally the first step in problem solving

Thanks in advance
    I'd say cut out the answer pages from the back of the book and put them somewhere that it was effort to get them until I'd done a fair amount of questions ? Also do loads of questions maybe ask your teachers from questions that are outside book so you won't have an answer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Namige)
    You should think about it first. After a decent amount of time, consult a textbook or your notes. Then think about it some more. If you are still completely stuck, then look at the answer. But make an attempt first.
    Ah cheers thank you,

If you have any more tips would like to hear; that is a good one. Just don't let myself, see the answer until I can think it through myself.

ReputationRep:
    Ah cheers thank you,

If you have any more tips would like to hear; that is a good one. Just don't let myself, see the answer until I can think it through myself.
    Yes, the more you do this the easier it will get. If you resort to looking at the answers immediately, you will find yourself getting no better over time. That's by far the biggest tip anyone can give. But you should also ask for help too as well as looking online or in a textbook. There are some videos on the internet that help a lot. Khanacademy has some great videos. Try that.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the more you do this the easier it will get. If you resort to looking at the answers immediately, you will find yourself getting no better over time. That's by far the biggest tip anyone can give. But you should also ask for help too as well as looking online or in a textbook. There are some videos on the internet that help a lot. Khanacademy has some great videos. Try that.
    Yeah your right it is a fantastic tip, now even thinking about it more. I will start Prepping myself when I do Practice Questions and Mocks much more seriously.

Hopefully I will have less confusing moments, and the only thing I will need help for is for a Misunderstanding. This will also provide me with new ways to think of solving problems efficiently.

Small tip, but big impact.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah your right it is a fantastic tip, now even thinking about it more. I will start Prepping myself when I do Practice Questions and Mocks much more seriously.

Hopefully I will have less confusing moments, and the only thing I will need help for is for a Misunderstanding. This will also provide me with new ways to think of solving problems efficiently.

Small tip, but big impact.

Thank you.
    Are you in A2?

ReputationRep:
    Are you in A2?
    Yes A2 need A*AA , and A* in either Math Phys or Chem to get into Uni.

ReputationRep:
    Yes A2 need A*AA , and A* in either Math Phys or Chem to get into Uni.
    In the same position here! Good luck (:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Since the OP contacted me directly for my thoughts, I think it's best I share them here.

The first thing I do is skip an unfamiliar question. My plan in an exam is to maximise my marks so I always come back to things I didn't understand first time.

When I come back to it I stare at it for about a minute and think can I do this? Again, if nothing comes to me I skip it and then move onto other questions I don't know.

Finally, towards the last 30 minutes of the exam - if I really need to do that question I stare at it for another minute. At this point many things kick in.

- Have I seen something similar before?
    - What ideas do I know which are related to the question at hand?
    - What parts of the question can I try and make sense of?

Armed with all this I start jotting things down and somehow piece it together. Even a vague notion of heading in the right direction will earn you marks.

The important thing is to write down as much as you know which is related to the question at hand and answer it as best as you can. Your best guess is better than no guess and exams are not negatively marked - you earn more marks for trying something than nothing at all.

I hope this helps.

Darren

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.