Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi was wondering if there is many mature students that do teaching at bcu. im applying for 2014 entry but worried about being way older that everyone else :/ and also how tough are they are on admissions as i know a few people that have had letters of rejection . any info would be great xx

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Im a mature student (30yrs old) and wanting to do a BA in Primary Teaching next year.

I've not looked at BCU yet.

I'm plowing through other Prospectuses ie Manchester, Northumbria, Bangor even!

What are you studying at present? I'm doing online A Levels in English Language, Psychology and Religious Studies.

Have you started prepping for QTS tests? If so, any tips or advise on which resources to use?

ReputationRep:
    Hiya

I've only really got a choice of 2 unis which are bcu and Newman uni because I've got a young daughter and couldn't even think about leaving her so going to stay close to home.

I start college in September to do an access course in education professions

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry pressed send before had finished
    I haves started revising for the tests I've been watching the videos on YouTube and doing the practice tests online really struggling with my mental arithmetic n spellings so focusing on them.

I think that's what I'm more scared about is the qts tests give me an interview any day of the week

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zozo1990)
    Sorry pressed send before had finished
    I haves started revising for the tests I've been watching the videos on YouTube and doing the practice tests online really struggling with my mental arithmetic n spellings so focusing on them.

I think that's what I'm more scared about is the qts tests give me an interview any day of the week

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey.

I tried mental arithmetic test yesterday. Shocking so think I'll go over my maths and go on YouTube.

So what is it about teaching that appeals to you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The mental maths is tricky I've improved with the help of the YouTube videos

I've always wanted to be a teacher ever since I was little I remember playing teachers with all my teddies I think it's such a rewarding job and makes it that more worthwhile when you know that you've inspired/helped a child. I've been volunteering in my local primary school 3 days a week and I've loved every second if the teacher I've been working with has been great letting me teach my own little group of children and given me loads of advice

I know that teaching isn't by all means a easy job but I know that it's what I'm meant to do

How about you why do you want to teach? X

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hi was wondering if there is many mature students that do teaching at bcu. im applying for 2014 entry but worried about being way older that everyone else :/ and also how tough are they are on admissions as i know a few people that have had letters of rejection . any info would be great xx
    Hi there :-)

I am a mature student studying primary education at BCU I just finished my first year. There are actually quite a lot of mature students on the course so don't worry about thinking that your the only mature student there. I felt exactly the same when I started but was surprised to see how many mature students there were actually on the course. If you have any questions about the course or the uni timetables etc i be more than happy to answer any questions :-)

ReputationRep:
    Hiya that's good to know have that fear I'd be surrounded by loads of 18 year olds wanting to party all the time.

Can I ask you what your timetable is like and do you have a placement all year long or is it just at the end of the year?

Thank you x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey well the timetable for year one is for term one September - December

Mondays - 9.30-12.15 (Maths) 1.15-3.30 (English)
    Tuesday - 9.30 - 12. 30 (Humanities) 1.30 - 4.30 (Humanities)
    Wednesday - Day off
    Thursday - Half day 9.30 -12.15 or 1.15 - 3.30 (Depending on your group)
    Fridays - Normally a day off

January - March

Monday - 9.30 - 12.30 Science
    Tuesday - 1.30 - 3.15 Design and Technology
    Wednesday - Day off
    Thursday -half day 9.30 - 12.15 (Depending on your group)
    Fridays- Day off

Then in March-April you go for a few days to visit the school that you will be placed in for teaching practise to get use to the children and the school etc.

Then April - May 4 weeks teaching placment Monday - Friday

Then after your placement is over you have to choose another module that you do for a week and then its normally the summer term.

I known I gone into great detail but I think your timetable will be similiar to this format

If there is anything else you would like to know ask away be more than happy to help

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much I'm really hoping to get a place a bcu the timetable looks fab aswell when u say humanities and science etc is that lessons in how to teach them to primary school children or lessons for us :/? Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by figuresk8rstudent)
    Hi

Im a mature student (30yrs old) and wanting to do a BA in Primary Teaching next year.

I've not looked at BCU yet.

I'm plowing through other Prospectuses ie Manchester, Northumbria, Bangor even!

What are you studying at present? I'm doing online A Levels in English Language, Psychology and Religious Studies.

Have you started prepping for QTS tests? If so, any tips or advise on which resources to use?

Hey i bought the literacy and numeracy skills test books on amazon they were about 6 pounds each and a huge help i passed both first time! I start BCU in sept im 29 next week :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsK2010)
    Hey i bought the literacy and numeracy skills test books on amazon they were about 6 pounds each and a huge help i passed both first time! I start BCU in sept im 29 next week :-)
    Wow how excited must you be! Did you use any other resources to help you?

Im studying A2 English Language Psychology and doing A Level Religious Studies in 1 year. What have you done?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm a mature student starting in sept. Don't worry as there are a fewer ire students there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished the access to education course it was brilliant. Good luck with your results :-) xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished the access to education course it was brilliant. Good luck with your results :-) xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hiya
    What was the course like I'm due to start the course in September is the work load really high to get distinctions/merits. X

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hiya
    What was the course like I'm due to start the course in September is the work load really high to get distinctions/merits. X

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You really have to manage your time well with it I really enjoyed it and my tutor was amazing! Where r u doing the access course? It has prepared me well for uni in terms of meeting deadlines and referencing etc xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You really have to manage your time well with it I really enjoyed it and my tutor was amazing! Where r u doing the access course? It has prepared me well for uni in terms of meeting deadlines and referencing etc xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm going to be doing it at Sutton colfield college. I'm really excited to start now and start applying to uni. Can I ask what you go to and what you are doing? X

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be doing it at Sutton colfield college. I'm really excited to start now and start applying to uni. Can I ask what you go to and what you are doing? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I did my access course at Telford college. I have heard the course is changing though how many merits / distinctions do u need for bham? Bham was by far my favourite uni so happy iv got a place xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did my access course at Telford college. I have heard the course is changing though how many merits / distinctions do u need for bham? Bham was by far my favourite uni so happy iv got a place xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I need 40 distiction or merits to do primary ed qts at bcu so hoping ill be able to get them was looking at Newman uni aswell but think the offer is around the same. X

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeh that's the same as what I needed! Good luck I hope u will love the access course as much as I did :-) xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 30, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.