Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

BA History (V100) Newcastle or York? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Unable to decide between the two. Much prefer medieval/Renaissance history, really cant see myself wanting to do any modern (post 1850) history at all to be honest. Was leaning towards Newcastle but have read a few threads which say the course is weighted more towards modern history.. does this mean that I would be better at York? Have checked the websites and looked at their modules but this was useless when i don't understand how the structure works for uni courses. Someone please help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kathryn007)
    Unable to decide between the two. Much prefer medieval/Renaissance history, really cant see myself wanting to do any modern (post 1850) history at all to be honest. Was leaning towards Newcastle but have read a few threads which say the course is weighted more towards modern history.. does this mean that I would be better at York? Have checked the websites and looked at their modules but this was useless when i don't understand how the structure works for uni courses. Someone please help!
    In general, I would advise anyone in your position to go through both course outlines and write down all the modules you would take in each year - compulsory and optional. That way, you would see which one offers the type of history you like best.

I had a look at York and Newcastle and IMO yes, Newcastle does focus much more on periods later than you would prefer.

At York, the only really modern history you would have to do would seem to be... Year One, a survey course from 1650-present (only part of which would therefore be after 1850). Year Three, a comparative module on a subject such as Family or Disease over a wide-ranging time span. In addition, when you have a free choice, York seems to offer at least as many Medieval and Early Modern modules as Modern. (Module list, see http://www.york.ac.uk/history/underg...course-content)

At Newcastle in Year One, 4 out of the 6 History modules are survey or comparative based and involve elements of Modern history. In Year Two, you choose from a wide range of modules but the emphasis appears to be more Modern. The same goes for Year Three. (Module list http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/d.../v100/modules/)

This conclusion isn't surprising really given York's medieval history. I believe there are also additional facilities in the city which are available to students such as the Minster library.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2013
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.