Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm considering doing a history degree at university. I don't know which one yet though, all the entry requirements are so high! But I was just wondering how you're assessed within the history degree, somebody has mentioned a dissertation before -but I don't really know what they're are. If someone could just give me a bit more insight on how you're examined within a history degree it would be really helpful. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Near every degree requires a dissertation which is basically a 20,000 word essay on a topic of your choice (subject related).

With a History degree, it varies from uni to uni. Some universities take into account grades in the first year, but where I intend on studying do not (you will have to ask the university directly about this). Most of the time you will be assessed on essays or 'coursework' which is similar to A2 history coursework. Often you will have to do presentations too and feed back to groups.

Each degree is dependant on the university so check some out and it should tell you the contact hours (how much time you spend in lessons) and their general way of working...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EloiseStar)
    Near every degree requires a dissertation which is basically a 20,000 word essay on a topic of your choice (subject related).

With a History degree, it varies from uni to uni. Some universities take into account grades in the first year, but where I intend on studying do not (you will have to ask the university directly about this). Most of the time you will be assessed on essays or 'coursework' which is similar to A2 history coursework. Often you will have to do presentations too and feed back to groups.

Each degree is dependant on the university so check some out and it should tell you the contact hours (how much time you spend in lessons) and their general way of working...
    And exams!

ReputationRep:
    A history degree will normally be assessed through three separate elements. The first is numerous short to mid-length essays (1,500-5,000) words, tending towards the latter end as you progress through the course. In addition, there is also usually an 8,000-12,000 wd dissertation, which is a long essay that must be based on primary source research. I have not heard of a requirement for a 20,000 wd dissertation at undergraduate level. I submitted two 10,000 wd dissertations in my final year of undergrad, but one of them was an option in place of an exam. Exams are the last elements of history assessment, and are essentially scaled-up A level history exams. The same basic format, but longer and requiring greater knowledge and more sophisticated reasoning.

ReputationRep:
    Ah thank you guys, this has been really useful! I'll look onto more detail on the University's website and hopefully they'll specify exactly how they assess!

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.