Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm in my first year of Pharmacy and I absolutely hate it I don't understand anything I'm being taught, every time I try to revise it, it doesn't stick and I'm pretty much failing everything.

I've been feeling like this all year - I said I'd stick it out til January exams which I did and somehow passed (however, only just) but it's just really getting to me now and I really don't think this is what I want to do anymore. It's not that I'm homesick because I'm pretty close to home, it's not that I haven't made friends because I have such a close knit of friends now at uni I almost don't want to leave them - I just hate university. I hate my course, I hate the idea of changing course (/I don't know what I'd change to) and I'm just fed up of education and I don't think this is the route for me.

My logic is, I'm already about £14k in debt after one year of barely passing university, and I really don't want to spend the next four years of my life hating every second of my uni life especially when it's supposed to be 'the best years of my life'. I've spoken to my mum about this and my close family/friends about this and they agree with me and I really just want to pack it in, go home, and change career completely but I don't know how to do it and I was hoping to get some advice here I suppose. I have 6 A*s, 4 As and 3Bs at GCSE and AAB at A-level so I do have decent grades to fall back on, but I know I don't want to go back to uni just yet (maybe in a few years time doing a part-time course whilst working or something).

I've applied for some apprenticeships so far - is this the right thing to do? I don't want to feel like I'm wasting my A-levels because I've been brought up thinking that university is be all or end all and I just don't know what to do with my life. Do I stick at my MPharm degree and be horribly miserable all the time and possibly hate my job in the future or do something that makes me happy but may not earn me as much?

ReputationRep:
    What uni do you go?

ReputationRep:
    First of all, I'd say don't panic. You have lots of options, you have really good grades! I'm just coming towards the end of the 3rd year of my MPharm, and I too disliked it in first year, I nearly switched to Chemical Engineering. But I stuck it out, because it turned out I was too late to swap course (I had just signed up to my second year), and I'm so glad I didn't leave the MPharm.

If it helps - what I would say is that it gets better. I really enjoy it now, the course provides such a broad range of subjects, from chemistry through to clinical application. Before you make any decisions, I would suggest you try to go and shadow a clinical Pharmacist in a hospital, if you haven't already done so. That is what really opened my eyes up to the profession, and got me really interested in the clinical side of things.

Don't forget, there are many alternative career pathways with an MPharm, from patent law to pharmaceutics, clinical research to community practice. As the previous poster said, what University are you at?

(Original post by JessieCar0310)
    So I'm in my first year of Pharmacy and I absolutely hate it I don't understand anything I'm being taught, every time I try to revise it, it doesn't stick and I'm pretty much failing everything.

I've been feeling like this all year - I said I'd stick it out til January exams which I did and somehow passed (however, only just) but it's just really getting to me now and I really don't think this is what I want to do anymore. It's not that I'm homesick because I'm pretty close to home, it's not that I haven't made friends because I have such a close knit of friends now at uni I almost don't want to leave them - I just hate university. I hate my course, I hate the idea of changing course (/I don't know what I'd change to) and I'm just fed up of education and I don't think this is the route for me.

My logic is, I'm already about £14k in debt after one year of barely passing university, and I really don't want to spend the next four years of my life hating every second of my uni life especially when it's supposed to be 'the best years of my life'. I've spoken to my mum about this and my close family/friends about this and they agree with me and I really just want to pack it in, go home, and change career completely but I don't know how to do it and I was hoping to get some advice here I suppose. I have 6 A*s, 4 As and 3Bs at GCSE and AAB at A-level so I do have decent grades to fall back on, but I know I don't want to go back to uni just yet (maybe in a few years time doing a part-time course whilst working or something).

I've applied for some apprenticeships so far - is this the right thing to do? I don't want to feel like I'm wasting my A-levels because I've been brought up thinking that university is be all or end all and I just don't know what to do with my life. Do I stick at my MPharm degree and be horribly miserable all the time and possibly hate my job in the future or do something that makes me happy but may not earn me as much?

ReputationRep:
    Well my life experince ( i am 32 now ) told me that its possible to have a cool life, togheter with not having a top salaris... But that depends also if u can get used to a more "low budget but easy going style of life", wich i didnt have a problem with, but perhaps u will?

ReputationRep:
    Ps both medical and both new age herbs stuff pills and powders excist, to boost up ur study results !!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Aston University

I've tried applying for hospital pharmacy work experiences but I'm too late everywhere I can get to has filled up

I suppose I'm not even too bothered about having a top salary... I'd rather be happy with my job than be miserable and rich aha. I have thought about switching course to psychology because I loved it at A-level and I can probably see myself enjoy it a lot more than I do with pharmacy - its just the idea that its quite a generic degree that scares me in case I don't get a job at the end of it. But a degree in psychology is better than no degree right? Or in this case would an apprenticeship be the better option?

I would say I'd try to stick on with MPharm but the likelihood of me passing my exams are extremely low and I don't want to resit the year again even if I do miraculously pass, and continue to graduate, I think my final grade won't be good enough to compete with other graduate pharmacists. I would rather stand out from the crowd now and get an apprenticeship and get some experience than graduate with a mediocre MPharm/generic Psychology degree and not stand out at all if that makes sense...

Ugh I hate life right now

ReputationRep:
    If it helps, your degree classification in Pharmacy wont make a difference, unless you want to go on to further study.

I definitely agree with the salary thing, having an enjoyable job is much better than a high salary.

My advice would be to go into a hospital and speak to their Pharmacy department directly, ask for someone senior or who sorts out work experience, then hand them your C.V. You'll get somewhere, it just takes time :-).

I'm at Aston University

I've tried applying for hospital pharmacy work experiences but I'm too late everywhere I can get to has filled up

I suppose I'm not even too bothered about having a top salary... I'd rather be happy with my job than be miserable and rich aha. I have thought about switching course to psychology because I loved it at A-level and I can probably see myself enjoy it a lot more than I do with pharmacy - its just the idea that its quite a generic degree that scares me in case I don't get a job at the end of it. But a degree in psychology is better than no degree right? Or in this case would an apprenticeship be the better option?

I would say I'd try to stick on with MPharm but the likelihood of me passing my exams are extremely low and I don't want to resit the year again even if I do miraculously pass, and continue to graduate, I think my final grade won't be good enough to compete with other graduate pharmacists. I would rather stand out from the crowd now and get an apprenticeship and get some experience than graduate with a mediocre MPharm/generic Psychology degree and not stand out at all if that makes sense...

Ugh I hate life right now

ReputationRep:
    I'm also in my first year and although I don't hate it I don't feel like I understand much. Not sure which bits you are struggling with but I'm finding sites like Khan Academy, Chemguide etc. helpful to explain things in a simpler way.

There's a chance that you could pass your end of year exams too. If you sit the exams and pass then you won't have to make a final decision until September by which time you might be feeling different. I'm not saying that you will feel different only that it is probably better to have that choice in September once you've had time away and time to assess your other options.

I think Student Finance will support you for the length of the course plus one year, so because you know that one day you may want to go back then it makes sense to not start the second year. If you start the second year you may have problems in the future with funding. I'm no expert on this though so definitely check that with someone who knows.

Don't do anything that is going to make you be horribly miserable all the time. I think there is a very big difference between university and being a pharmacist, just because you don't enjoy your pharmacy degree doesn't mean that you won't enjoy whatever career you have afterwards. However, how you feel now is important.

I don't know anything about apprenticeships but even if you get a normal job in a big company there are very often opportunities to advance, lots of people work their way up the ladder to have satisfying and well paid careers.

I'm pretty sure there will be someone at your university you can speak to about this. They should be able to advise you on how to leave, the best time to leave, the student finance thing etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.