Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does weightlifting make you shorter? watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay, recently i have been going to the gym, mainly for lifting weights. anyway my problem is this, i am very conscious of my height, being 23, and a height of 5"7.5, will lifting weight make me shorter than i already am? (im a male btw)

ReputationRep:
    lol and no.

Your height actually changes over the course of days and weeks. Over time your spine compresses and when you sleep it expands. All of this adds up to about half an inch or so.

ReputationRep:
    i got told that if you were lifting "heavy" before you hit puberty/a short while after puberty, then that would stunt your growth, how accurate that is i don't know. If its true then for your age it shouldn't be a problem
    otherwise no, it wont make you shorter.

ReputationRep:
    Try it out and see the results.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yeah I used to be 6"2 then I started lifting now I'm 4"8.

ReputationRep:
    No, just no. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:

(Original post by 3 Phase Duck)
    Yeah I used to be 6"2 then I started lifting now I'm 4"8.
    I rarely laugh out loud at a post but this one broke me! :borat:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.