Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Your own race invading your home country, what would you do? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I'm a second generation Chinese born and bred here in the UK. I was asked by my brother what would I do if China invaded the UK and who would I fight for. I told him I would join the British army straight away and fight for and defend my home country, the UK. But my parents and brother think I'm wrong and naive for thinking that. Whilst they think its good that I'm loyal and want to stay in the UK, they say I am Chinese in the end and if China invaded the UK I wouldn't be welcomed by our nation in the UK and would've betrayed my own race so I wouldn't be welcomed in China. But I think, If I'm willing to fight for my country the UK and to protect my home land and its people then it would be respected. Also to me, the UK is my home and where I grew up. I would give up my life to fight for our freedom but apparently because I'm Chinese by appearance the locals wouldn't care less. Personally, apart from my appearance I think I'm as British as anyone else here. I don't think we should be separated by race, and nationality is more important.

A comparison I would make for this argument is that the UK is my foster parent who's cared for me since I was born and China is just my biological parents who has done nothing for me since I was born. If they got in a fight, I would sure help my foster dad. My biological family would think I'm wrong, but I don't care what they think. It was my foster parent who gave me all this and I should defend them.

What do you guys think? What would you do in you were in a similar situation?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I'd b loyal to the UK. I don't care about the race of a potential invader, only that they are, indeed, invading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anthonyla65)
    Hi everyone, I'm a second generation Chinese born and bred here in the UK. I was asked by my brother what would I do if China invaded the UK and who would I fight for. I told him I would join the British army straight away and fight for and defend my home country, the UK. But my parents and brother think I'm wrong and naive for thinking that. Whilst they think its good that I'm loyal and want to stay in the UK, they say I am Chinese in the end and if China invaded the UK I wouldn't be welcomed by our nation in the UK and would've betrayed my own race so I wouldn't be welcomed in China. But I think, If I'm willing to fight for my country the UK and to protect my home land and its people then it would be respected. Also to me, the UK is my home and where I grew up. I would give up my life to fight for our freedom but apparently because I'm Chinese by appearance the locals wouldn't care less. Personally, apart from my appearance I think I'm as British as anyone else here. I don't think we should be separated by race, and nationality is more important.

A comparison I would make for this argument is that the UK is my foster parent who's cared for me since I was born and China is just my biological parents who has done nothing for me since I was born. If they got in a fight, I would sure help my foster dad. My biological family would think I'm wrong, but I don't care what they think. It was my foster parent who gave me all this and I should defend them.

Are you not proud to be Hanzi? You are the decedants of Confusius (Kong Fu Zi) of Zhou, Qin Shuang Di, Lei Bui, Mang Wang, the yellow emporor, Zheng He, Cao Cao of the three kingdoms period, Sima Qian the historian etc. Not Alfred the Great or King Willaim. China has 5,000 year history.

ReputationRep:
    History shows arguments for both sides. On the one hand, there were people of Japanese origin that fought for the US and UK in WWII. They were often used as spies and were some of the most heroic soldiers of the war. On the other, america rounded up people of Japanese origin and put them in 'war relocation camps', and 13% of Americans favoured "the total extermination of the Japanese race"...pretty dark stuff.

I'm pretty sure you'd be far from the only person of foreign origin wanting to fight for the UK in such a scenario though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Type 052D)
    Are you not proud to be Hanzi? You are the decedants of Confusius (Kong Fu Zi) of Zhou, Qin Shuang Di, Lei Bui, Mang Wang, the yellow emporor, Zheng He, Cao Cao of the three kingdoms period, Sima Qian the historian etc. Not Alfred the Great or King Willaim. China has 5,000 year history.
    But that's irrelevant, they're attacking my home and nation. I'm not going to stand by and let them do that. I have friends and family here to defend, that's why I'm willing to shoot my own race. To me their just foreign soldiers threatening my people and invading my country.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be loyal to either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Type 052D)
    But that's beside the point - someone alive now had nothing to do with what Confucius did just because they're Chinese. It's like me being proud just because Mansa Musa I of Mali was the wealthiest man ever and presided over a massive empire in Africa.

In the same vein, if you must be proud of being something just because you are the descendant of a rich history, young Germans alive today should be ashamed of themselves because of Nazi history?

ReputationRep:
    If China invaded the UK (with nuclear weapons out of bounds) we'd all be wiped out! I think I might even defect to China...

No, seriously, I'm of white british origin so obviously I'd defend the UK. It's a much harder question if I was raised in, say, China as a white person. I think fundamentally though I would choose my country over my race. Obviously I don't know what would really happen (for example if I had a young family and the odds were heavily against us I might feel I had a duty to get them out of the country), but I think the culture you are brought up in comes first. So long as I agreed with the ideology of that government (eg. it wasn't a dictatorship).

And I'd accept any British-Chinese people fighting for us, of course I would. There may be some resentment because people are stupid, and people might be worried that you are more loyal to your race than your nationality, because I imagine some people in your position would be, but I have British-Chinese friends who are more British than me, and I'd accept them without question. Some Chinese people may see you as traitors though.

ReputationRep:

I wouldn't shun you because of your race if China invaded, and I certainly hope none of my peers would either. I can see that some people would, but generally I think they would be the people who would have found some other reason to dislike you anyway, because to them it's all about race.

However, I do disagree with the idea that nationality is more important than race. I don't think either are important... no one chooses where they are born any more than they choose their race. But I do see that you would want to protect individuals in Britain who have helped you (family, friends, colleagues, teachers...) more than individuals in China that you don't know.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    ... in the unlikely case of Chinese invading UK (HOW!?), the uk would stand no chance. Since Brits have no experience in guerrilla fight, the war would be over very soon- so you wouldn't have any chance to prove your loyalty.
    And if your Chinese parents/sibling feel they have tighter connections with PRCh than with UK, why are they living here? I'm sure their motherland would accept them with open arms...

ReputationRep:
    You should side with whichever side was in the right. Nationalism or race should not come in to it. Blindly following your race or country has led to atrocities throughout history.

For me it's a weird question as I'm an Englishman living in England so wouldn't really apply. However with China's recent track record I'd not be on their side!

ReputationRep:
    But that's irrelevant, they're attacking my home and nation. I'm not going to stand by and let them do that. I have friends and family here to defend, that's why I'm willing to shoot my own race. To me their just foreign soldiers threatening my people and invading my country.
    These words describe the Beuaty of Zhongho (China):Han Dynasty, Prime Minister Zhang Liang- 关中左崤函,右陇蜀,
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.