Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do supermarkets leave their lights on at night? Watch

ReputationRep:
    This is a bit of a random thread, but its something thats been bugging me. Lots of supermarkets in my area leave their lights on at night, even after they have closed. Why would they do that? Surely they could save electricity costs as well as help the planet if they turned lights off completely!

ReputationRep:
    I imagine it's so that if someone breaks in at night, they have camera evidence. Would be pretty hard to prosecute or even catch the perpetrators if it was dark and the cameras couldn't get a good view of them.

ReputationRep:
    In large supermarkets they will usually have a night team stocking the dry goods section

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by badgerdawkins)
    This is a bit of a random thread, but its something thats been bugging me. Lots of supermarkets in my area leave their lights on at night, even after they have closed. Why would they do that? Surely they could save electricity costs as well as help the planet if they turned lights off completely!
    Visibility, it is pretty cheap self-promotion.

(Original post by RichyFrench)
    I imagine it's so that if someone breaks in at night, they have camera evidence. Would be pretty hard to prosecute or even catch the perpetrators if it was dark and the cameras couldn't get a good view of them.
    I'm not sure if this is correct. I might be wrong, but I'm sure most modern CCTV cameras pick up pretty decent quality pictures, even in the dark.

They (usually) have quite complex security whereby a break in automatically triggers responses from their own private security as well as the police. Not only that, most supermarkets are fitted in a way to make stealing valuable goods really difficult. Hardly any cash will be kept on site etc. - basically just basic stuff to make it a very unappealing prospect for a criminal.

ReputationRep:
    Because there's more than likely still people working there. Supermarkets often have deliveries, and with it restocking, coming in all night.

ReputationRep:
    I've always wondered too. I work in a department store and they leave the lights on. There are never any staff working at night and deliveries do not come at night either.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    For any of the following reasons:

a) For the visibility/advertising bonus - passers by still see it and can admire how warm and safe it looks in there, see all the deals etc etc. The advertising cost is worth the minor increase on the electricity bill.

b)
    Night teams who stock up and deliver can work throughout the night, maximising operation during daytime when customers will be wandering the isles. Most supermarkets have extremely early morning starts, and if the lights are already on most employees will jump straight into work rather than having to wait for the shop to be up and running.

c) Visibility for illegal activities. If somebody sees people in there they're going to be able to see them in Balaclavas etc and will call the police. Saves them having dedicated security. This is a genuine thing that is in their insurance policies, and can be put in house insurance even under preventative measures.

ReputationRep:
    Bigger supermarkets do because people literally work from closing to opening bringing deliveries, stocking shelves and cleaning. (Used to work nights at Asda)

ReputationRep:
    They should have those motion sensor lights at night. I don't know why they don't, such a ridiculous waste of electricity.

(Original post by Cybele)
    They should have those motion sensor lights at night. I don't know why they don't, such a ridiculous waste of electricity.
    :nopity:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonah Ramone)
    :nopity:
    But... the environment. :fuhrer:

(Original post by Cybele)
    But... the environment. :fuhrer:
    :nopity: :nopity:

ReputationRep:
    among other reasons, its to deter thieves who would obviously much prefer to work in the darkness

ReputationRep:
    They make that much money out of us, they likely dont care about the cost, if the leccy goes up, they imply raise prices to cover it

ReputationRep:
    I always assumed in supermarkets case it was because there are still people working there over night :dontknow:

However, if I ever walk through my high street at night, the number of shops with lights on that is completely unnecessary really irritates me. I mean, I'm not one to rant about the environment, but it just seems like a complete waste! I get that there is an advertisement aspect, but really, hairdressers? charity shops? banks? Is that really needed? No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    For any of the following reasons:

a) For the visibility/advertising bonus - passers by still see it and can admire how warm and safe it looks in there, see all the deals etc etc. The advertising cost is worth the minor increase on the electricity bill.

b)
    Night teams who stock up and deliver can work throughout the night, maximising operation during daytime when customers will be wandering the isles. Most supermarkets have extremely early morning starts, and if the lights are already on most employees will jump straight into work rather than having to wait for the shop to be up and running.

c) Visibility for illegal activities. If somebody sees people in there they're going to be able to see them in Balaclavas etc and will call the police. Saves them having dedicated security. This is a genuine thing that is in their insurance policies, and can be put in house insurance even under preventative measures.
    /thread.

ReputationRep:
    Because the last person out keeps forgetting to turn them off.

ReputationRep:
    I work for Sainsbury's Local and it's entirely security related.
    - Much the same as a house, a darkened shop screams out "there's no one here, come and rob us!".
    - Most big shops will have motion sensors and CCTV on overnight. Neither work very well if all they can see is black.
    - If someone does break in, it's far more likely a passerby or local resident will notice people in the shop with the lights on than if they were off.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Studentus-anonymous)
    /thread.

Nah there'll be pages and pages more of the same thing being said until someone says that leaving lights on at night is the sort of thing the Nazis would do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    Nah there'll be pages and pages more of the same thing being said until someone says that leaving lights on at night is the sort of thing the Nazis would do.
    They probably would.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.