Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Post-2000s Draft; Round 1 - samiz20891 vs Deshi Watch

• View Poll Results: Who do you think would win?
    samiz20891's team
    25.00%
    Deshi's team
    75.00%

Hello, welcome to the Post-2000s Draft Game. This is the third Draft Game organized on TSR (to my knowledge, anyway) but for anyone who wasn't around last time or doesn't know how things work: basically, sixteen members have spent the last couple of weeks picking players to make a team (you can see how they did it in this thread), and they are now ready to go head-to-head against each other to win your vote - which do you think is the better team? The voter has both the squad-sheet and the tactics to consider!

The key rule for this edition of the game is that players have to have made their debuts in or after 2000, and they have to have spent most of their careers in one of the English Premier League, La Liga, Serie A or the Bundesliga (apart from one wild-card pick).

Additionally, voters are requested to please justify the votes you cast: an explanation of why you voted for the team you did would be much appreciated and would add to the game and the forum as a whole.

The poll closes in two days.

First Round Game

samiz20891 vs Deshi

samiz20891's team and tactics

BIOGRAPHY
    Spoiler:
    Show

Samir Handanovic – A Slovenian keeper that currently plays for Inter Milan and prior to that played for Udinese. Handanovic is a keeper who has excellent reflexes/ bravery and is well-known at saving penalties. Also, he is great in the air with his commanding presence.
    Domenico Criscito – A great left back who began his career as a centre back. He has great pace and work rate whilst maintaining all the attributes of a centre back. This means that he is great at tackling and intercepting while still having fantastic concentration and being great in the air.
    Mats Hummels – A fantastic centre back who came through the Bayern Munich academy. A centre back who excels in all areas of defending. He is a fantastic tackler, good in the air, brilliant at reacting to danger and intercepting. In addition, is great at starting attacks with his brilliant range of passing and great vision for a centre back.
    Benedikt Howedes – A centre back who is captain for Schalke 04. He is known to be a fantastic interceptor who possesses great balance/ reactions and pace. These attributes make him great at one-on-one situations and also allow him to play as a right back. I feel that his marking and strength will complement Hummels very well.
    Stephan Lichtsteiner – A right back who plays in various positions down the right hand side from RB to RM. A player who possesses great stamina, is quick and is a fantastic crosser of the ball. He is a decent defender who is a decent tackler and likes to support the forwards, I feel he will suit Gilardino very well.
    Sami Khedira – A central defensive midfielder who plays like a Box-to-Box midfielder. Khedira is a great player who is fantastic at intercepting the ball and has great strength which helps him when supporting the forwards. He is also great tackler and is very good in the air which makes him a large threat when it comes to corners/free kicks.
    Walter Gargano – A fast defensive midfielder who plays like a destroyer. He is a fantastic tackler who is an engine with brilliant agility and balance. He is also great at intercepting the ball but also has the pace to track players all over the pitch and has excellent reactions. I feel that he will suit Khedira very well due to their varying styles.
    Arda Turan – A very versatile player who can play in various roles within the midfield. A player with fantastic ball control and brilliant agility/balance. He is brilliant crosser of the ball who has great vision with great reactions too. He also is a good passer who is great at volleying. In addition, he is brilliant defensively and has a brilliant work rate.
    Mesut Ozil – Arguably one of the best players in the world in his position. He possesses unbelievable vision and is great at passing/ through balls and taking set-pieces. He is also a very crosser of the ball with pin-point accuracy. He also contributes with goal scoring as he is a very good finisher and is good at positioning himself between players.
    Toni Kroos – A very versatile player who can play anywhere across the midfield. He possesses great vision with the ability to shoot from distance with brilliant accuracy. Also, is brilliant at accurate passing/crossing with the ability to hold the ball and find runners. Due to playing in various roles, he is getting better at intercepting and tackling. In my opinion he is almost a complete midfielder.
    Luis Nani – A fast winger who is two footed and able to play on either side of the wing. He is a very good dribbler with great ball control and a great cross. Another player with great vision and balance to beat a player and deliver a cross on a six pence. A player with a decent shot and a great passer, who at his best is very difficult to stop.
    Alberto Gilardino – A very difficult player to stop on his day. A two footed player who was quick in his younger days. He is able to hold up play excellently with his strength and a lethal finisher. In addition, due to his strength in the air, he is very strong at heading which makes him a very difficult striker to stop. This variety of attributes mean that you are able to play with different styles as he is effective in the air as well as on the ground and even when he is back against the goal.

TACTICS
    General Formation:

Defensive Phase: Within this phase, I will be expecting the fullbacks Lichtsteiner and Cristico to come back and narrow in to close down any space within the middle. I think the aerial abilty of both my centre backs and keeper will mean it will be difficult to get any success from the wing and this is why I feel that narrowing the space in the middle of the pitch is essential. They will also be in a half turn position to allow them to reach any balls that do get through and have an advantage to any oncoming danger. In addition, I will be expecting Gargano and Khedira to drop a little further back and Gargano to use his pace to intercept the ball and to tackle the opponents. Khedira will be slightly further ahead of Gargano looking to intercept any balls played in front of him and tackle anyone trying to get pass him. I feel Gargano stamina and pace will be important in breaking up the play of the attacking players from my opponent who get passed Khedira. Gargano role within this phase will be to tackle the opponent and if he has to move to support either full back, then Khedira will move slightly further back. On one-on-one situations both my centre backs excel so I feel if one of the forwards of my opponent are in this situation, they are equipped for this situation and have the pace and excellent position to resolve any problems. Also, a key element of my team is that my central spine have all played together previously from Hummels and Howedes to Ozil and Khedira. I think that this will help to give them a good understanding and know each other game. Furthermore, I will be expecting Arda Turan/Nani to push back and help support the full backs as well and Arda Turan is known to have a great work rate for helping out defensively and this will make two banks of four which will be tough to break through.
    Here what it will look like:
    Attacking phase: Within this phase, I will be looking at counter attacking at pace. I will be looking at the fullbacks overlapping and provide an overlap option to Nani and Turan. I feel that my opponents weakest point is his fullbacks and I feel that all 4 of my wider players and Ozil are excellent crossers which will allow accurate balls played into Gilardino who is excellent at attacking the ball but also holding it up for another attacking player. The trickery and excellent dribbling skills will allow my wingers to cut inside as well as going down the wing and their vision can find Gilardino or they can have a shot if the space opens up. As mentioned earlier in the bios, Gilardino is lethal within the box and around the box. This also means that when the centre backs are marking him, it will leave space for my runners to get into the box and finish the opportunity and was excellent at making space for other players by dragging defenders out of place. I will be leaving Gargano in front of my centre backs but allowing Khedira to push up where he can be dangerous when the correct opportunities arise. My attacking midfielders (Nani, Turan and Ozil) are all able to play in various positions and this fluidity with them changing positions will make it difficult to man-mark or track various players without leaving space. I will be expecting Ozil to move to the left for example if Turan cuts inside and Cristico is further back and this fluidity I hope will make space for my attacking midfielders to exploit with their vision. I believe that this exchanging of positions when the situations arise will make it difficult to mark my attacking players and their vision will allow themselves opportunities but also Gilardino who is lethal at finishing. Finally, the tempo of the play will be fast which will suit all the players as Ozil/Khedira/Nani are used to this at their clubs where Manchester United and Madrid are very quick counter attacking sides.
    Here what it will look like:

Deshi's team and tactics

Tactics: 4-2-3-1

Spoiler:
    Show
    From an attacking point of view, his main threat is Ozil, so he'll be pretty much man marked by Hargreaves. Hopefully people will remember he was class around 2006-2008, and running around hassling players like Ozil was one of his strengths.

Both my centre mids are fairly defensive, with Hargreaves sitting the deepest.

Chielinni is absolutely solid, only second to Nesta in the amount of Serie A defender of the year awards he has. Vertonghen is also another solid defender, anyone watching Spurs this year can tell he's already becoming vitally important for them. If you anything about football you know how good De Rossi is.

He has a good defence but my attack is pretty special. RvP is deadly. Anyone who has seen Jovetic will know he's pretty special as well. In Muniain I have a player who loves running at defenders. So him and Jovetic give me pace and make me pretty dangerous on the counter. In Hamsik I have an extremely creative player, consistently near the top of the assists charts over the years in Serie A, and currently on top. His defensive contribution isn't the greatest but that's why I have two defensive and capable midfielders behind him giving him the freedom to attack and create. So RvP will definitely have enough chances to score some goals.

Rafinha is solid defensively, Kolarov maybe not as much but that's were having two solid defensive midfielder comes into play again.

ReputationRep:
    Deshi, nice to see you didn't go 5 at the back.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting match up :holmes:

Hard to separate the defences. I feel Deshi has better CB's but Samiz the better full backs. Both teams look like they've set up well to counter attack. There doesn't seem to be a real player who's likely to keep possession and control the tempo of the game which is why i can see this being a very open game with both teams having chances. I feel Deshi's central midfielders are vastly more equipped to protect the back 4 when his forwards attack, as opposed to vice versa. Samiz has the better creative midfielder in Ozil, but like Deshi says, in his prime Hargreaves was one of the best at what he does, adding bite to the midfield and harassing the opposition's dangermen. He had a great engine, and when you combine this with De Rossi's qualities, i can see how Ozil would be kept quite quiet. On the other side, i don't think Samiz's team will deal well enough with keeping Deshi's wide players quiet, and i can see them in tandem with Jovetic providing the better service to RvP and you'd fancy him to finish the chances that come his way, being one of the best finishers in the world.

I vote for Deshi here. 2-0 win.

ReputationRep:
    wow samiz put a lot of effort in this thing! - i've got to give him the props

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm I think that the attack that Deshi has is just a bit too good. Defensively with De Rossi and Hargreaves (at his best) he has a lot to deal with Ozil and the other attackers; I think the weak link for him is Kolarov, especially against Nani... as well as that Handanovic is better than Courtois but I think with RvP it doesn't particularly matter which keeper he's playing against. And with the guys behind him, I think he'll end up scoring more goals.

3-2 Deshi , sorry!

ReputationRep:
    This is a tough one. I think Samiz is stronger going forward while Deshi will be stronger at the back, especially his spine. Van Persie and Ozil could be the big factors here. Definitely have to give this another think.

ReputationRep:
    Up and running, good stuff guys, and thanks to Abira too :yy:

Two solid defences, game will come down to Ozil's creativity vs RVP's goalscoring. RVP's support cast is probably slightly better so I think that's where i'm leaning currently, but i'll wait a bit before voting and have a proper look when i've got time.

Also, I think in the OP we need to make clear we're judging players based on their peaks, not their current level. Might confuse anyone who hasn't done one of these before.

ReputationRep:
    Tough game to decide on because both teams have strong defences, both their central defenders are pretty disciplined on the back-line in my opinion. I agree that Ozil and RVP are the game changers in this match, they are both incredibly attack minded. What's everyone's thoughts on the goal keepers? We didn't really focus too much on them however, surely we should judge their potential in this fixtures as well.

Still deciding so will not vote yet, wish you both the best of luck though.

ReputationRep:
    I think Deshi has the better team in terms of players...but Samiz has done very well tactically. He mentioned attacking the flanks and that's the best way to get at Deshi's side I think.

With Deshi's side i'd be worried it'll end up split into two blocks, a 6 man defensive block and a 4 man attacking one, like what happened to Holland when they're not playing well. De Rossi and Hargreaves are okay ball players but it's not their strength, and Hamsik isn't a Sneijder style creative player who'll compensate for that. Gargano and Khedira could come in for similar criticism but I think Ozil will help out more that Hamsik in that regard.

Thing is I think both sides have set up really well defensively, so it would be a tight game decided by a bit of individual brilliance. Ozil's a fantastic player but Deshi's defensive midfield is rock solid, RVP would probably get more joy.

ReputationRep:
    Might have to refrain from voting in this one. Still can't decide. Keep getting swayed either way.

ReputationRep:
    Tough choice, the two teams are very even.

I think though that Deshi's team has more goals in it, whilst also being slightly stronger defensively. His midfield pair and his two central defenders are very strong and I fancy them to come out on top against Samiz's attack, and most importantly, keep Ozil relatively quiet.

ReputationRep:
    Why aren't the results showing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    Why aren't the results showing
    I think the moderator has to do it for some reason as the case was in the last draft. Going by the comments I would be expecting a comfortable Deshi victory. I think we need to get more voters as 10-15 is not really enough imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samiz20891)
    I think the moderator has to do it for some reason as the case was in the last draft. Going by the comments I would be expecting a comfortable Deshi victory. I think we need to get more voters as 10-15 is not really enough imo.
    How do we get more though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    How do we get more though?
    Umm, maybe put them in the general football forum as it is likely to increase the amount of people who see it but I understand that it is neater in the PL draft forum. Maybe a link in the various football society pages. I think a fair few people view the thread but don't vote.

ReputationRep:
    It used to get a lot more votes when it was on the main football forum. When we started this game it was the first time I've ever been on this sub-forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samiz20891)
    Umm, maybe put them in the general football forum as it is likely to increase the amount of people who see it but I understand that it is neater in the PL draft forum. Maybe a link in the various football society pages. I think a fair few people view the thread but don't vote.

(Original post by Deshi)
    It used to get a lot more votes when it was on the main football forum. When we started this game it was the first time I've ever been on this sub-forum.

Agree with this. The voting turn-out has decreased since it was moved to the sub-forum.

ReputationRep:
    Posting a link to the poll on the various club society pages might get more people to the thread. I guess even if they don't go into detail about why they voted for who they did, any extra votes would be good. It'd only take a person a few seconds!

ReputationRep:
    Good match Samiz :yy:

Hmm Ozil is very tempting but I should probably tighten up my defence and take Hummels and move Vertonghen or Chiellini left back.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations deshi

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 16, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.