Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What's the best value course/best company to take to get your licence in a short frame of time
    I am in Bristol so Bristol specific answers would be great.
    Also how does a crash course hold up to individual lessons, better pass rates I am assuming.

ReputationRep:
    I personally went with A-class for my intensive course, I paid 692 for 35 hours of lessons +first test fee covered, which works out 18 quid a lesson, very cheap especially for such an established driving school.
    I loved the fact that I could choose the timeframe in which I wanted to span the lessons over. I went with 4 weeks, which ended up working out really well for me.

I don't think the pass rates are any different, all depends on the person, how well you perform on test day and what you're faced with on the day. I passed 3rd time, but the first 2 fails were nothing to do with not being good enough at driving. First time is a long story, but in short I only really failed because someone else drove like an idiot and I didn't take appropriate action since I'd never been in the situation before. Second time I failed because of a silly nervous mistake. Both times I only got a few minor faults as well, but of course it's getting marked for serious faults that made me fail.
    Passed 3rd time after going in cold on test day after a 3 week gap and passed easily with only 1 minor fault, the examiner actually said that I'd been really unlucky with the traffic conditions but handled them like I'd been driving for years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Inquisitive)
    What's the best value course/best company to take to get your licence in a short frame of time
    I am in Bristol so Bristol specific answers would be great.
    Also how does a crash course hold up to individual lessons, better pass rates I am assuming.
    I believe there was a thread a while back about the successfulness of crash-course drivers from the perspective of the test examiner.

In short: They were usually terrible.

That was more directed towards the 1 or 2 week courses though. People just don't have time to take it all in and learn to drive safely - They're just forced through the course as quickly as possible. I remember 2 hour lessons being exhausting, so I couldn't imagine doing it for the 6-8 hours a day that some courses have people do. They just have the drivers jump straight into the theory test and then book the next available driving test and send them on it - It seems incredibly dangerous.

For some people it will take 2-3 months as a minimum to learn to drive, so just have a little bit of perspective about it. I didn't think driving lessons would prove to be particularly time consuming, but it can take a while to get it right. I passed in 3 months, but some people take 6-12 months to get up to the right standard. Just keep that in mind.

Instead of going with a crash course organisation, I'd consider looking at a high quality instructor (based on ADI rating and reviews) and asking them to just do lots of lessons with you. The standard of driving will be higher and you'll have more time to learn to drive. It would be a lot safer in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyEddy)
    I believe there was a thread a while back about the successfulness of crash-course drivers from the perspective of the test examiner.

That was more directed towards the 1 or 2 week courses though. People just don't have time to take it all in and learn to drive safely - They're just forced through the course as quickly as possible. I remember 2 hour lessons being exhausting, so I couldn't imagine doing it for the 6-8 hours a day that some courses have people do. They just have the drivers jump straight into the theory test and then book the next available driving test and send them on it - It seems incredibly dangerous.

For some people it will take 2-3 months as a minimum to learn to drive, so just have a little bit of perspective about it. I didn't think driving lessons would prove to be particularly time consuming, but it can take a while to get it right. I passed in 3 months, but some people take 6-12 months to get up to the right standard. Just keep that in mind.

Instead of going with a crash course organisation, I'd consider looking at a high quality instructor (based on ADI rating and reviews) and asking them to just do lots of lessons with you. The standard of driving will be higher and you'll have more time to learn to drive. It would be a lot safer in the long run.
    I'd agree actually. As I said above I did all of my lessons in one month, but I started on 2 hour lessons and worked up to 3 hour lessons. For me personally, they were absolutely perfect; 2 hour lessons just flew by, but they were good since I'd always get well in the groove after about an hour. 3 hours was even better, as I was learning while the ball was already rolling rather than having to spend 10 minutes getting refreshed at the start of each hour. Just as I felt like "God, this is getting a bit boring now" we'd be heading home, so perfect really. I have no idea how anyone could do 6 hour lessons, I'd lose interest by the 4th hour and not be taking much in from then onwards, so those last 2 hours would be a bit of a waste.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyEddy)

Thanks, this sounds like the best way going forward.
    I have 2 months to get my licence before my job so I plan to do 20-25 lessons one 2hour lesson every two days.

Do you think its doable?

Any tips to increase my success?
    Since I would be taking the exam about 2 weeks before I start, I wouldn't be able to have a retake in time would I?

Is there anyway to book consecutive tests in the case of failure?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Inquisitive)
    Thanks, this sounds like the best way going forward.
    I have 2 months to get my licence before my job so I plan to do 20-25 lessons one 2hour lesson every two days.

Do you think its doable?

Any tips to increase my success?
    Since I would be taking the exam about 2 weeks before I start, I wouldn't be able to have a retake in time would I?

Is there anyway to book consecutive tests in the case of failure?
    You could do it in the 2 months. A two hour lesson every few days should be enough - I'd start with a couple a week and then build it up though. As I say, it can become exhausting whilst learning to drive, so you need to develop that stamina (looking around, paying attention and following the rules of the road takes a lot of effort to a learner).

The main thing to do is to pass the theory test. It's an awful test, but it has to be done. Get that done as soon as possible (although it wouldn't hurt to leave it a couple of weeks after you start driving to have a real appreciation and more insightful view into what the questions mean) as there is a really good chance that you could fail that test simply due to the stupid way in which they test you.

I think it's something like 7-10 days must be left between tests if you have to re-sit it. The Gov website should have all that info though. It wouldn't hurt to try and book it a couple of weeks ahead - I passed first time, but many pass on their second or third attempt (with it becoming a lot rarer after that).

Honestly? Just see how you go. When you feel ready to book the test, then do so. Just don't go wasting money trying to brute-force your way through the tests... You'll be ready when you're ready. Your instructor will be able to help you to decide when to do the exam and they can work on the preparation and exam skills for it.

ReputationRep:
    5 day driving Peterborough
    Website states it takes non experienced drivers. Driver my daughter had was totally unprofessional, did not give good tuition for an inexperienced learner, and was constantly making sexual innuendoes to her! She only stayed for two sessions and left! She faces a fight to get monies refunded as company director Peter Francis refuses to refund, and said its her word against his, and also stated it takes two to tango and expected her to return to this said driver to continue course! She has reported said driver who is in his late 50s early 60s to the police who will be pursuing the allegation, and I have also made an official complaint to DVSA on police instruction. Stay away at all costs!
    Most of the youngsters on the course aren't happy with tuition they are receiving!
    This is the Peterborough centre

ReputationRep:
    5 day driving Peterborough
    Website states it takes non experienced drivers. Driver my daughter had was totally unprofessional, did not give good tuition for an inexperienced learner, and was constantly making sexual innuendoes to her! She only stayed for two sessions and left! She faces a fight to get monies refunded as company director Peter Francis refuses to refund, and said its her word against his, and also stated it takes two to tango and expected her to return to this said driver to continue course! She has reported said driver who is in his late 50s early 60s to the police who will be pursuing the allegation, and I have also made an official complaint to DVSA on police instruction. Stay away at all costs! Most of the youngsters on the course aren't happy with tuition they are receiving!This is the Peterborough centre

ReputationRep:
    Don't go to 5 day driving

Website states it takes non experienced drivers. Driver my daughter had was totally unprofessional, did not give good tuition for an inexperienced learner, and was constantly making sexual innuendoes to her! She only stayed for two sessions and left! She faces a fight to get monies refunded as company director Peter Francis refuses to refund, and said its her word against his, and also stated it takes two to tango and expected her to return to this said driver to continue course! She has reported said driver who is in his late 50s early 60s to the police who will be pursuing the allegation, and I have also made an official complaint to DVSA on police instruction. Stay away at all costs! Most of the youngsters on the course aren't happy with tuition they are receiving!This is the Peterborough centre

ReputationRep:
    I usually advise against intensive courses as they aren't realistic. There is a difference between being able to pass the test and being a good driver and few realise the difference. Driving is draining when you are learning, after 2 hours my head would be buzzing and my legs were so uncomfortable. It took a while to get used to having to constantly think and analyse everything. Driving definitely didn't come naturally to me, but i can understand that everyone is different so intensive courses may benefit others.

However, i have had five instructors, so booking an intensive course with someone before you've endured their company and teaching methods isn't always wise. Some have little patience and just scream at you for any and every mistake,which doesn't exactly relax you or build confidence. Other's are clearly out to milk you for every penny, but disguise their intentions by knocking your driving skills and you wind up leaving the car with your confidence in the gutter. Which is why I'm on my fifth instructor. I'm not prepared to pay anyone to verbally abuse me, if i don't like their attitude i won't book them again.

I do have a colleague that did a one week driving course and passed his test though. So there can be a positive outcome using this method.

Just be wary whichever way you decide to go.

Best wishes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.