The Student Room Group

AS Classical Greek Verse (Iliad)

Hi, guys. Sorry to make my first thread a request, but I haven't been able to get hold of a literal translation of Iliad 24 that has been checked/recommended by a teacher and was wondering whether someone could help me out? I have a translation that I've put together, but - of course - I know that there could be a few errors in there and I really need to get revising for this exam! :smile: Thanks a lot!
Reply 1
Original post by Halitherses
Hi, guys. Sorry to make my first thread a request, but I haven't been able to get hold of a literal translation of Iliad 24 that has been checked/recommended by a teacher and was wondering whether someone could help me out? I have a translation that I've put together, but - of course - I know that there could be a few errors in there and I really need to get revising for this exam! :smile: Thanks a lot!

If you post your translation here I'll have a look at it.
Reply 2
Original post by medbh4805
If you post your translation here I'll have a look at it.

Thanks! I'll send it to you in a PM (have to type it up :biggrin:)
Have you been using the Perseus website? It's a bit old fashioned at times, but it goes through each word individually, and is really invaluable :smile:

Edit: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.01.0133%3Abook%3D24%3Acard%3D1
English on the right, if you press 'load'. Again, not a great translation for an exam, but accurate and you can check yours against it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Octohedral
Have you been using the Perseus website? It's a bit old fashioned at times, but it goes through each word individually, and is really invaluable :smile:

Edit: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.01.0133%3Abook%3D24%3Acard%3D1
English on the right, if you press 'load'. Again, not a great translation for an exam, but accurate and you can check yours against it.

My only concern with Perseus is how liberal the translators have been in their translations. Do you know whether they're particularly strict about that? :smile:
Original post by Halitherses
My only concern with Perseus is how liberal the translators have been in their translations. Do you know whether they're particularly strict about that? :smile:

They're quite old translations, so I'm not entirely sure, but I'd imagine they are quite standard. Examiners like a bit of wafflyness anyway, if you call it 'style'. :biggrin:

I agree though, it's not totally literal. My tutor had these A4 handbooks he used to give me - I'm not sure where they are from, but I'll try to find one. There was a more modern translation at the back.
Uhm Penguin Classics? o.o At least that's the book recommended by the exam board.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending