Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, guys. Sorry to make my first thread a request, but I haven't been able to get hold of a literal translation of Iliad 24 that has been checked/recommended by a teacher and was wondering whether someone could help me out? I have a translation that I've put together, but - of course - I know that there could be a few errors in there and I really need to get revising for this exam! Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Halitherses)
    Hi, guys. Sorry to make my first thread a request, but I haven't been able to get hold of a literal translation of Iliad 24 that has been checked/recommended by a teacher and was wondering whether someone could help me out? I have a translation that I've put together, but - of course - I know that there could be a few errors in there and I really need to get revising for this exam! Thanks a lot!
    If you post your translation here I'll have a look at it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medbh4805)
    If you post your translation here I'll have a look at it.
    Thanks! I'll send it to you in a PM (have to type it up )

ReputationRep:
    Have you been using the Perseus website? It's a bit old fashioned at times, but it goes through each word individually, and is really invaluable

Edit: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/...D24%3Acard%3D1
    English on the right, if you press 'load'. Again, not a great translation for an exam, but accurate and you can check yours against it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octohedral)
    Have you been using the Perseus website? It's a bit old fashioned at times, but it goes through each word individually, and is really invaluable

Edit: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/...D24%3Acard%3D1
    English on the right, if you press 'load'. Again, not a great translation for an exam, but accurate and you can check yours against it.
    My only concern with Perseus is how liberal the translators have been in their translations. Do you know whether they're particularly strict about that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Halitherses)
    My only concern with Perseus is how liberal the translators have been in their translations. Do you know whether they're particularly strict about that?
    They're quite old translations, so I'm not entirely sure, but I'd imagine they are quite standard. Examiners like a bit of wafflyness anyway, if you call it 'style'.

I agree though, it's not totally literal. My tutor had these A4 handbooks he used to give me - I'm not sure where they are from, but I'll try to find one. There was a more modern translation at the back.

ReputationRep:
    Uhm Penguin Classics? o.o At least that's the book recommended by the exam board.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.