Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I really really want to go to China this year - I speak Mandarin reasonably, but I'm having some issues. I don't want to go by myself on a random flight in a random hotel for however many weeks. So I've been trying all the usual volunteering sites which put you in groups and what not but I'm really struggling to find any with positive reviews! I do want to volunteer but I mainly just want to take my first trip to China. Are there any agencies anyone knows of that put you in a group of students just to explore?!?! That maybe they can put you together in the UK sort of thing? I don't know, just anything that is reasonably trustworthy and that would keep me safe! I have also looked at applying for internships but the company costs are around £1,500 alone and that's ridiculous. I'm quite willing to pay the average fee for the volunteering which is around £600. Thanks for any advice anyone can give.

ReputationRep:
    there is an H7N9 outbreak there, really sure you want to go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FloydRix)
    there is an H7N9 outbreak there, really sure you want to go?
    I am aware. It's a relatively small outbreak and no cases of human to human transmission have been recorded. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by almxo)
    Hi!
    I really really want to go to China this year - I speak Mandarin reasonably, but I'm having some issues. I don't want to go by myself on a random flight in a random hotel for however many weeks. So I've been trying all the usual volunteering sites which put you in groups and what not but I'm really struggling to find any with positive reviews! I do want to volunteer but I mainly just want to take my first trip to China. Are there any agencies anyone knows of that put you in a group of students just to explore?!?! That maybe they can put you together in the UK sort of thing? I don't know, just anything that is reasonably trustworthy and that would keep me safe! I have also looked at applying for internships but the company costs are around £1,500 alone and that's ridiculous. I'm quite willing to pay the average fee for the volunteering which is around £600. Thanks for any advice anyone can give.
    Please try G Adventures, or Kumuka.

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I am currently in China landed a few days ago in HK and am now in Shenzhen, I will be here for 6 months I am teaching English. I can't give you any advice on which programs to take as I am not aware of any sorry, however I can give you any advice on China itself if you would like some. I'm learning it all myself atm so I may aswell share where I can. Ask away in post or pm and i'll do my best to reply. Wish you all the best in your efforts let me know how it goes

ReputationRep:
    I don't know of any groups, but why not go with a friend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stevenishungover)
    Hello

I am currently in China landed a few days ago in HK and am now in Shenzhen, I will be here for 6 months I am teaching English. I can't give you any advice on which programs to take as I am not aware of any sorry, however I can give you any advice on China itself if you would like some. I'm learning it all myself atm so I may aswell share where I can. Ask away in post or pm and i'll do my best to reply. Wish you all the best in your efforts let me know how it goes
    I was thinking about teaching English as a foreign language, are you required to know Mandarin/Cantonese over there?

ReputationRep:
    You won't be required to know Mandarin or Cantonese to teach English, though for the living aspect it will help a lot - Mandarin more than Cantonese, though if you choose Cantonese you'd get along fine in areas of Guangdong.

Just keep in mind that to teach English legally, you must be on a work (Z) visa. This is troublesome and indeed a very large number of people come over on tourist (L), student (X) and business (F) visas and get along fine, however this ease of work is traded for the risk of deportation, fine and a 2 year re-entry ban should you get caught.

As for volunteering and organisations I don't really know enough to help, but though you said you wouldn't want to, I imagine you'd still get along well if you chose a hostel or somewhere to stay at and came over for exploring, meeting like-minded people and planning from there. Only my thoughts though, of course.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm volunteering in China this July with a friend. At first I couldn't find any reputable organisations but then I found IVHQ, they have been really great and helpful so far! The prices are much cheaper than any other organisation I've come across as well. You have to do a program although you can take time off to explore as you wish and weekends are free

http://www.volunteerhq.org/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No, you do not need to know any Mandarin at all to teach its just the oral english they are concerned with. Learning some will help, I jumped straight in and am learning as I go it's fun but troublesome at times.

ReputationRep:
    Hello

wow this sounds amazing! i'm so jealous! tell me everything!!!!!!!! hahaha, i don't know, i guess i'm just scared as it;s such a big country and as with all asian countries, the government / rules are so different. i'm scared of being on my own out there?! have you met many people?! just everything and anything would help!!! hahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeekChicc)
    I don't know of any groups, but why not go with a friend?
    I don't know anyone that wants to go! most of my friends are saving to go to places like africa and thailand, so i'm struggling to convince anyone to come with me!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrnightcat)
    You won't be required to know Mandarin or Cantonese to teach English, though for the living aspect it will help a lot - Mandarin more than Cantonese, though if you choose Cantonese you'd get along fine in areas of Guangdong.

Just keep in mind that to teach English legally, you must be on a work (Z) visa. This is troublesome and indeed a very large number of people come over on tourist (L), student (X) and business (F) visas and get along fine, however this ease of work is traded for the risk of deportation, fine and a 2 year re-entry ban should you get caught.

As for volunteering and organisations I don't really know enough to help, but though you said you wouldn't want to, I imagine you'd still get along well if you chose a hostel or somewhere to stay at and came over for exploring, meeting like-minded people and planning from there. Only my thoughts though, of course.
    hi! that's what i want to do - just so worried about not meeting people over there and being on my own ahhhhhhhhhhhh xxxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loze21)
    Hi, I'm volunteering in China this July with a friend. At first I couldn't find any reputable organisations but then I found IVHQ, they have been really great and helpful so far! The prices are much cheaper than any other organisation I've come across as well. You have to do a program although you can take time off to explore as you wish and weekends are free

http://www.volunteerhq.org/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    hi!! i think this is one of the companies i came across! what programme are you doing?! and have you paid?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by almxo)
    hi!! i think this is one of the companies i came across! what programme are you doing?! and have you paid?!
    Hi, yeah everything is paid for, just got my visa to sort out and I'm doing the childcare programme for 3 weeks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The chances of finding westeners here is very low I have seen 3 in China so far and only meet 1 person who could speak english he was very friendly and got a photo with me. I suggest you do some sort of program as you will need someone to help/lean on when you get here it can be scary but don't worry Chinese people are very friendly its just the language barrier is the main obstacle.

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to go to china as well this summer, primarily thinking of staying around shanghai seeing as apparently English is kinda common, haven't been looking at volunteering, but would mind working (don't like the idea of having to pay to volunteer : /). What are your plans?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supertoaster)
    I'm looking to go to china as well this summer, primarily thinking of staying around shanghai seeing as apparently English is kinda common, haven't been looking at volunteering, but would mind working (don't like the idea of having to pay to volunteer : /). What are your plans?
    Oh really?! Where are you from? I'm wanting to go to Shanghai too!!! But to be honest I'd be so grateful to get to anywhere in china at the moment, all I think about is how I can make it happen!!! At the moment, I really don't know. I can't find any placements that you don't have to pay like £700 or more for, which is horrendous. I wanted a placement because of the security primarily.. I guess china isn't the safest place to be alone in the world! But I'm so fed up of waiting around to find someone who'll come with me so ill probably make an impulse trip! What are your plans?! And are you scared about going?!

ReputationRep:
    The chances of finding westeners here is very low I have seen 3 in China so far and only meet 1 person who could speak english he was very friendly and got a photo with me. I suggest you do some sort of program as you will need someone to help/lean on when you get here it can be scary but don't worry Chinese people are very friendly its just the language barrier is the main obstacle.
    Ahhh man okay, do you think there aren't many westerners because where you are isn't a tourist hotspot? How are you enjoying the food?! And also do you feel safe when walking around on your own?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by almxo)
    Ahhh man okay, do you think there aren't many westerners because where you are isn't a tourist hotspot? How are you enjoying the food?! And also do you feel safe when walking around on your own?
    Heyoo,

Thought I would post. I would have loved to go to China too for a trip. I had a mad idea a few years back that I would spend a few years in China, live there, submerse in the culture and come back.

I was planning to teach English there to support myself, and learn Martial arts, but I was advised, that its better to have money and then just go there as a tourist and do things, like holidaying. It would be better, most likely, in case you go there and you don't find work and all the rest.

Especially if your paying plenty of money just to travel there and eat, accommodation etc.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.