Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Are you also afraid of sleep?, because when you close your eyes, isn't dark?

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    To elaborate, people are afraid of the dark because in the dark you can't see things and are powerless to do so. It's that feeling of helplessness and powerlessness that gets people.

Closing your eyes is something which is in your power to do, so there's no such feeling.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if I'm afraid of a dark place, it would be because I'm scared of sustaining some harm from somebody/something.

But there's no such thing to worry about when I close my eyes, in the safety of my bed.

ReputationRep:
    It's completely irrational.

I used to thoroughly believe I was safe under my duvet, but not outside of it. It's only a flat piece of material, but to a child it's the difference between being safe and being eaten by lions.

ReputationRep:
    I am a man who walks alone, and when I'm walking a dark road at night or strolling through the park;

When the light begins to change I sometimes feel a little strange - a little anxious when it's dark.

ReputationRep:
    I can confirm, I am dark

ReputationRep:
    I still feel safer under my covers than outside of them. I can make myself quite anxious walking to my bedroom and getting into bed, like genuinely anxious, & then when I'm under the duvet I'm okay again. It takes a while for my heart to slow down & stuff but fundamentally I feel less scared & more in control under the covers. I'm 20 years old.

No, I'm not scared of sleep, & I sometimes feel safer with my eyes closed than with them open. I guess for many of the same reasons I'm more scared of being killed by a serial killer after watching Criminal Minds than after watching The Ellen DeGeneres show even though there are exactly the same number of serial killers out there regardless of the last thing I watched before I switched off the light...

Sometimes it's hard to find the logic in fear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octohedral)
    It's completely irrational.

I used to thoroughly believe I was safe under my duvet, but not outside of it. It's only a flat piece of material, but to a child it's the difference between being safe and being eaten by lions.
    I used to do the same thing as a child.

*Wakes up from nightmare* OMG I'm so freaked out right now! Wait...I know that to do. I'll just wrap myself with my duvet in a cocoon like fashion and then...then i'll be safe. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Interesting... I was just wondering

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2013
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.