Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Further to my thread about female role models I though it be interesting to see who people have as their own role models. Do you have one, many or none? And why? Are they historical figures, modern politicians or current celebrities? Do you think young people today lack good role models?

If I had to pick one it would be Julius Ceasar. A brilliant writer, politician and general. Unrelenting in his determination to gain power and plentiful in his generosity and forgiveness once he had it.

ReputationRep:
    I would contest your claim that Caesar was a good writer – I hope you haven't had the misfortune to study his writing in latin :sleep:

Thomas Paine, for me. He proved the value of common sense and the power of writing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjf8)
    I would contest your claim that Caesar was a good writer – I hope you haven't had the misfortune to study his writing in latin :sleep:

Thomas Paine, for me. He proved the value of common sense and the power of writing.
    I've read the Gallic Wars in English. I can't say about Latin. I appreciate it just as much as a historical document and piece of propaganda as a interesting read, which I still think it is.

Did Paine do the pamphlet on the rights of man or something like that?

ReputationRep:
    My role model is basically all three Kardashian sisters but mainly Khloe and Kourtney I know they're badly perceived by the media but most of it's out of misunderstanding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob :))
    I've read the Gallic Wars in English. I can't say about Latin. I appreciate it just as much as a historical document and piece of propaganda as a interesting read, which I still think it is.

Did Paine do the pamphlet on the rights of man or something like that?
    Yeah his stuff is undoubtedly significant and probably mostly very interesting (I'm rather uninitiated on the whole) but when it takes you 4x as long to read because it's in a dead language you can get pretty tired of reading about siege being laid to camps.

Yeah he did the pamphlet Rights of Man, and also Common Sense among others. The former was a justification for the actions of the French Revolutionaries and the latter is a brilliant criticism of monarchy as a form of government and effectively incited the American public to rebellion against Britain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Koko_13)
    My role model is basically all three Kardashian sisters but mainly Khloe and Kourtney I know they're badly perceived by the media but most of it's out of misunderstanding.
    Why them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjf8)
    Yeah his stuff is undoubtedly significant and probably mostly very interesting (I'm rather uninitiated on the whole) but when it takes you 4x as long to read because it's in a dead language you can get pretty tired of reading about siege being laid to camps.

Yeah he did the pamphlet Rights of Man, and also Common Sense among others. The former was a justification for the actions of the French Revolutionaries and the latter is a brilliant criticism of monarchy as a form of government and effectively incited the American public to rebellion against Britain.
    I've seen a few of Paines quotes and he seemed pretty clever.

If you ever fancy going back to the Gallic Wars if recommend reading the seventh book in English. It's about the war with Vercengeterix and cultimates in the Siege of Alesia. Ceasar's 60,000 legionnaires besiege 80,000 Gauls then are besieged themselves by quater of a million Gauls! It's riveting stuff. I love his matter of fact way he bigs himself up .

ReputationRep:
    I've seen a few of Paines quotes and he seemed pretty clever.

If you ever fancy going back to the Gallic Wars if recommend reading the seventh book in English. It's about the war with Vercengeterix and cultimates in the Siege of Alesia. Ceasar's 60,000 legionnaires besiege 80,000 Gauls then are besieged themselves by quater of a million Gauls! It's riveting stuff. I love his matter of fact way he bigs himself up .
    My favourite of his is "time makes more converts than reason."

Yeah that is the funny thing about a lot of the classical historians, how they never miss an opportunity to make themselves sound great :rolleyes: To be fair he does have his merits – it's certainly refreshingly factual after reading reams of nonsense about all the gods intervening in the lives of their human pawns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjf8)
    My favourite of his is "time makes more converts than reason."

Yeah that is the funny thing about a lot of the classical historians, how they never miss an opportunity to make themselves sound great :rolleyes: To be fair he does have his merits – it's certainly refreshingly factual after reading reams of nonsense about all the gods intervening in the lives of their human pawns.
    He was trying to become the most powerful man in the known world. He needed all the aggrandising he could get!

The Illiad is awesome though.

ReputationRep:
    The Illiad is awesome though.
    Well, I can appreciate both its scale and style for sure.

ReputationRep:
    I dont really have any but I respect Bill Gates. He's one of the richest man in the world and yet he isnt full of himself like so many rich people out there. Not sure if hes technically still the richest man in the world but he sure has held the reign for long and he seems very humble and does a lot of charitable work. A lot of celebrities need to take a note from his tune.

ReputationRep:
    Sadhguru and Sri Sri Ravi Shankar ; two inspirational men from India. Both dream of a stress free, violence free society where people can manage their emotions (such as anger), take control of their life and understand themselves through thinking in a broader way and also using yoga+ meditation techniques. Try searching a video of either of them in Youtube. They have worked for me and now I am a much more confident individual; before I used to have very low self esteem but now I am able to recognise that life is incredible and shouldn't be lived with misery. 'Pain is inevitable but suffering is optional'.

ReputationRep:
    Don't have any

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurawoods)
    Sadhguru and Sri Sri Ravi Shankar ; two inspirational men from India. Both dream of a stress free, violence free society where people can manage their emotions (such as anger), take control of their life and understand themselves through thinking in a broader way and also using yoga+ meditation techniques. Try searching a video of either of them in Youtube.
    Quite different to Ceasar then haha!

ReputationRep:
    I don't really have any role models, but the other day I was reading about Hans and Sophie Scholl, who were part of a resistance movement in Nazi Germany - the White Rose Movement. Sophie was just 22 (I don't know how old Hans was) when her and her brother were executed by Nazis. They risked their lives standing up for what they believed in and didn't deserve to be executed, but people like them give me faith in humanity and I won't forget them.

ReputationRep:
    Adam Darski, 'Nergal.' Outspoken critic of religion and the effect it has on society, also created one of the best death metal bands in the world in a country (Poland) that previously had very little international reputation for modern music. He's a phenomenal vocalist and his skill at the guitar is what has recently inspired me to start to learn how to play the guitar. Not to mention he was diagnosed with a very serious form of leukemia which he defeated and now he's back out playing live shows and working on writing and composing Behemoth's 10th album. Definitely an inspiration for me.

ReputationRep:
    Christopher Hitchens

ReputationRep:
    James Cameron and George Lucas (from the 70s, when he wasn't editing) because of their writing and cinematography. Although James Cameron made more films I liked, all three Star Wars movies wouldn't exist without Lucas, along with the Knights of the Old Republic licensed games. Obviously, Lucas made a fantastic prequel series for Indiana Jones which doesn't get a lot of mentions, but I feel the action is just as physical as the original movies even though the younger Indy isn't quite like the film Indy, it takes you on a journey around World War One environments and really is one of the few films set during that time.

Peter Jackson for Lord of the Rings, though I'm not happy with the Hobbit.

I guess the list would be longer if I thought about it, but I thought I would quickly note down the enjoyable influences in cinema that spring to mind. There see, I thought a bit longer and added Chris Nolan to the list.

From non-cinema, I'd say Simon Lane from the Yogscast, although I really mean back several years ago where he was ruder and more sarcastic and cynical.

ReputationRep:
    Ben Harper from My Family.

He's constantly dissapointed and grumpy.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  wiggo.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  47.2 KB

Bradley Wiggins - absolute legend :awesome:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.