Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi guys

recently my pc fan was getting a bit loud so i opened the case off to clean the dust. i blew out all the dust with a can of compressed air. i took the intel fan off and there was a lot of dirty grey gunk which i cleaned off with a tissue but couldn't get it all off so i just left a bit on. i cleaned the intel fan with some compressed air to and plugged it into the board

now my pc doesn't turn on. it makes the beep sound but then the fan spins up really loud and my whole computer turn off. i checked and the intel fan is still connected to the motherboard.

have i forgotten something?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure exactly what the problem is but I can say this: I'm pretty sure that "grey gunk" is cooling paste that is put on top of the the CPU. It is on the bottom of the fan because the fan touches the CPU. You should buy some and reapply it. This won't solve the problem but it is something you should do when you get your computer back up and running.

ReputationRep:
    so i just have to buy some cooling cream paste and put it on the fan? or on the little square on the board?

ReputationRep:
    The little square on the board is the CPU. I'm not sure if this is the problem and if this will fix it but you should do it anyway. All CPU's deserve a nice coating of paste.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 69!)
    hi guys

recently my pc fan was getting a bit loud so i opened the case off to clean the dust. i blew out all the dust with a can of compressed air. i took the intel fan off and there was a lot of dirty grey gunk which i cleaned off with a tissue but couldn't get it all off so i just left a bit on. i cleaned the intel fan with some compressed air to and plugged it into the board

now my pc doesn't turn on. it makes the beep sound but then the fan spins up really loud and my whole computer turn off. i checked and the intel fan is still connected to the motherboard.

have i forgotten something?
    Did you put the cpu in the correct way?
    After that a bit thermal paste, and stick it back together. Also back sure the cables are in.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2013
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.