The Student Room Group

AQA Economics Unit 4 11th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
Original post by xxLozzxx
Well I would have said it would had been a pretty good essay, had it been about the right concept! What marks do you think I could get then? Obviously no level 5? But would a level 3/4 be posssible? Or am i constrained to 1/2?

Depends on the quality of your analysis and evaluation, however it was your interpretation of the question and as long as the analysis and evaluation for that was sufficient then possibly 3 or even a low band 4 (not sure here, though I think 5 would be unrealistic: wrong economics). I wouldn't say you were constrained to 1/2 unless the marking specifically said not to award marks for the incorrect interpretation of the question as long as it isn't completely against the essay question.

Obviously I'm not an examiner but I had experience of this last year and whilst I went down a few marks it didn't affect me as bad as I thought (wrote completely wrong essay; misinterpreted extracts)

Good luck :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 661
Original post by Axion
technically that was context 2, not context 1 :smile: :wink:

Thanks, got that now :wink: hahah! x
Reply 662
Original post by ihatepeople37
Don't worry young one... You have potential and will probably thrive as a supermarket assistant

Thanks for that. I already work in a supermarket and do so thoroughly enjoy it, I was hoping to do something slightly more aspirational... It's alright though as I do four subjects, so I can fail one. + I'm on 100% from as, so a U at A2 would still give me a D...
Why have so many people addressed the essay in Context 2 as 'whether the UK should stay in the EU or not'? That is completely different to what the question is actually asking, which is how crucial the Eurozone is (as a trading partner) to stimulate UK's export-led growth. The question requires treating the UK and the Eurozone as two different trading entities as is done in the real world and is not essentially an essay about the costs and benefits to the UK of being in the EU (the UK isn't even a part of the Eurozone).

How did you guys structure your essay for section A? Also what did those of you that did 7 and 8 (inflation and interest rates) put as you main points for the essay? I found this paper so much more accessible than the f****** water and healthcare questions in the Unit 3 paper.
Reply 664
Can you tell me what she says! The wording was just awful, why specify the UK 'or another Eurozone country'

Of course, I'll put whatever she says up on here so keep an eye out for it. Don't worry about it though, seems like most people are in the same boat!
Thanks for that. I already work in a supermarket and do so thoroughly enjoy it, I was hoping to do something slightly more aspirational... It's alright though as I do four subjects, so I can fail one. + I'm on 100% from as, so a U at A2 would still give me a D...

Ahhahaha sorry if you took offence .....I was only messing about.... You sound quite intelligent and therefore will know how to make the best out of a bad situation when you fail .... Lol
Reply 666
Original post by Aranel
Depends on the quality of your analysis and evaluation, however it was your interpretation of the question and as long as the analysis and evaluation for that was sufficient then possibly 3 or even a low band 4 (not sure here, though I think 5 would be unrealistic: wrong economics). I wouldn't say you were constrained to 1/2 unless the marking specifically said not to award marks for the incorrect interpretation of the question as long as it isn't completely against the essay question.

Obviously I'm not an examiner but I had experience of this last year and whilst I went down a few marks it didn't affect me as bad as I thought (wrote completely wrong essay; misinterpreted extracts)

Good luck :smile:

Ok thank you so much! A level 3 wouldn't be a disaster for me and I could still get an A with it. So hopefully it will be alright!
Also I'm a little bit calmer as I worked out If I got 21 for the data response, 9 for that 10 marker and 5 for the essay thats already 40 i would therefore only need around 15 overall on my other answer to get a B on the paper!
Well I would have said it would had been a pretty good essay, had it been about the right concept! What marks do you think I could get then? Obviously no level 5? But would a level 3/4 be posssible? Or am i constrained to 1/2?

This is taken from the examiners report of the June 2010 paper, a similar question:

In these responses, candidates lost sight of the question which was asking them to what extent they agreed with the argument that membership would benefit the UK economy. Thus, explicit judgements were sadly lacking. For some, there is confusion between the single market and the euro

Its unclear how much that would lose you marks, but obviously it's something they look out for. I think as long as your analysis and evaluation are solid, you can expect L3/4 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 668

You wrote about the Eurozone as opposed to the SEM?

I suppose there is some overlap, but might be loking at low level 3 max. Not trying to make you feel bad - obviously only you know how you put your points across.

Hope you do well anyway
Reply 669
Original post by borealis72
Why have so many people addressed the essay in Context 2 as 'whether the UK should stay in the EU or not'? That is completely different to what the question is actually asking, which is how crucial the Eurozone is (as a trading partner) to stimulate UK's export-led growth. The question requires treating the UK and the Eurozone as two different trading entities as is done in the real world and is not essentially an essay about the costs and benefits to the UK of being in the EU (the UK isn't even a part of the Eurozone).

How did you guys structure your essay for section A? Also what did those of you that did 7 and 8 (inflation and interest rates) put as you main points for the essay? I found this paper so much more accessible than the f****** water and healthcare questions in the Unit 3 paper.

I think because the way that the EU is taught (especially in my school) is not elaborated in much more detail than whether the UK should stay in the EU, we practised essays on this topic more so than how crucial the Eurozone is (time constraints at end of course). I didn't answer Context 2 but I think that is why certainly in my school some would have took that approach. Or maybe people are referring to Essay 3 in Section B which had a question on the EU?

For the Essay on interest rates and inflation I related that it was deficient for low interest rates to be implemented in a period of high inflation as it exacerbates the problem unless as there was in the UK a recession or slump in the economy. Short term increased inflation versus long term recession/slump in economy trade off.

Haha glad there was no water question in this exam otherwise would have gladly walked out! :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 670
Original post by Axion
You wrote about the Eurozone as opposed to the SEM?

I suppose there is some overlap, but might be loking at low level 3 max. Not trying to make you feel bad - obviously only you know how you put your points across.

Hope you do well anyway

Ok that sucks. Alot of my points didn't actually overlap. I just don't know whether it will all be perceived as irrelevant and rubbish or whether they will take note of the fact it would have actually been a good essay had I understood the question correctly.
Reply 671
This is what my teacher replied regarding the third essay..

"Obviously 'the single market' refers to the 27 countries of the EU whereas the Eurozone refers to the 17 countries that use the euro, so some points will be the same. It probably depends on how much you focused on the pros and cons of using the same currency rather than being part of a free trade bloc with free movement of factors of production. Rather than there being a cap as such, it will probably depend on the relevance of the points you discussed. I haven't seen the paper, so it's difficult to comment further."
Reply 672
Original post by jonses
This is what my teacher replied regarding the third essay..

"Obviously 'the single market' refers to the 27 countries of the EU whereas the Eurozone refers to the 17 countries that use the euro, so some points will be the same. It probably depends on how much you focused on the pros and cons of using the same currency rather than being part of a free trade bloc with free movement of factors of production. Rather than there being a cap as such, it will probably depend on the relevance of the points you discussed. I haven't seen the paper, so it's difficult to comment further."

lol, just to take the mick the teacher writes the word obviously
Original post by Aranel
I think because the way that the EU is taught (especially in my school) is not elaborated in much more detail than whether the UK should stay in the EU, we practised essays on this topic more so than how crucial the Eurozone is (time constraints at end of course). I didn't answer Context 2 but I think that is why certainly in my school some would have took that approach. Or maybe people are referring to Essay 3 in Section B which had a question on the EU?

For the Essay on interest rates and inflation I related that it was deficient for low interest rates to be implemented in a period of high inflation as it exacerbates the problem unless as there was in the UK a recession or slump in the economy. Short term increased inflation versus long term recession/slump in economy trade off.

Haha glad there was no water question in this exam otherwise would have gladly walked out! :tongue:

Yeah I guess that makes sense, but the question is pretty clear so I was quite confused as to how a different question itself was being answered. I think you're right that the way it's taught is important.

My structures were:

Question 3

Issue 1 - Export-led growth with the Eurozone
Issue 2 - Export-led growth with the BRICS and other developing economies
Issue 3 - Reconsideration of fiscal consolidation and T>G

Question 7

Issue 1 - Overheating of economy/boom-bust cycle/spare capacity
Issue 2 - Stagflation and cost-push inflation
Issue 3 - Capital flows and marginal efficiency of capital

I was happy because I was able to get in more sophisticated A2 ideas like crowding out, liquidity traps and exchange rate analysis, also included a ****load of diagrams.

Haha I agree, they could've easily done something like that with HDI and macroeconomic indicators, that would've slayed me.
Reply 674
What if in the EU question you talked about employment, inflation, deficits, trade creation, economic growth and manipulated it with the evidence on the extracts.. would it be a danger if you haven't talked about the free movement of goods, secrives, people and capital..?
Drew about 9/10 diagrams for all answers
Reply 675
For question 08 of the inflation one: I talked about Phillips curve and trade off between inflation and unemployment..is that right?
Reply 676
I think the issue of the misinterpretation of the euro zone/single market is a common and recurring one in this exam, should really be made more explicit in the exam when you're rushing and can quite easily write the wrong essay through not reading the question fully.
Absolutely gutted when trade came up on the EU context. Second part was alright.
Original post by Aranel
I think the issue of the misinterpretation of the euro zone/single market is a common and recurring one in this exam, should really be made more explicit in the exam when you're rushing and can quite easily write the wrong essay through not reading the question fully.

Or you could just read the question properly.
Original post by kelbel1
Thanks, got that now :wink: hahah! x

How did you find the last part of the context 2? ;p

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending