Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi there,

I may not be depressed but I just need to talk to someone...basically, recently, I've been feeling really down and lethargic and I get these horrible moments where I just cry and cry because I'm so guilty about being so lazy. I barely ever go into uni and seem to have lost interest in my course which thinking about it I should love. It's everything I wanted in a course and even came from scotland to study in england. So to give you an idea, my possible symptoms include: restless nights/sleeping too much, loss of interest in my hobbies, crying for no reason, long periods where I shut myself out from the rest of the world, I can go days without leaving the house, I tend to drink too much as well - I go out a lot with friends but that seems to be the only time I'm happy. I go from being really happy to really sad without anything to trigger it...I have a feeling it's seasonal because the same thing happened last year during the winter months.
    When I was younger I was prescribed the drug Ruaccutane which side effect is depression...and apparently it's really common.
    I would just like someone else's perspective on my situation, my friends don't know because I'm "always so happy" and I can't feel like I can talk to them, they don't know the real me....so thank you if you read this, I know it's long!

Hey, I'm going through something very similar to you right now. Give me a PM if you want to talk about anything.

:ObligatorySmiley:

Hey,
    What you described sounds exactly like where I was a couple of years ago. From the symptoms you describe it sounds like depression, but of course the only way to confirm this is to see your GP. Thats the first step, and it's not easy - the whole time I sat in the waiting room I was thinking 'I could just leave now', but the thing to remember is GPs see patients with depression and anxiety every day, and in my experience almost all of them are really understanding and helpful. It's really hard to say the words "i think I'm depressed" but once you get that out you'll feel SO much better, and they'll do the rest. They'll ask about all your symptoms, how long you've had them and other details about your life, and then they can suggest what treatment options might suit you. They can also inform your uni tutors (its completely confidential) so that they know what's going on. (I also had blood tests for my thyroid and iron levels and stuff, because there can also be physical illnesses that cause similar symptoms).
    I know how hard it is to tell friends about something like this, but maybe you could just mention it to one close friend who could go with you to the doctor, or maybe meet up with you afterwards?
    You don't have to cope with this alone!
    I hope this helped, feel free to ask me any more questions you have! xxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi there,

I may not be depressed but I just need to talk to someone...basically, recently, I've been feeling really down and lethargic and I get these horrible moments where I just cry and cry because I'm so guilty about being so lazy. I barely ever go into uni and seem to have lost interest in my course which thinking about it I should love. It's everything I wanted in a course and even came from scotland to study in england. So to give you an idea, my possible symptoms include: restless nights/sleeping too much, loss of interest in my hobbies, crying for no reason, long periods where I shut myself out from the rest of the world, I can go days without leaving the house, I tend to drink too much as well - I go out a lot with friends but that seems to be the only time I'm happy. I go from being really happy to really sad without anything to trigger it...I have a feeling it's seasonal because the same thing happened last year during the winter months.
    When I was younger I was prescribed the drug Ruaccutane which side effect is depression...and apparently it's really common.
    I would just like someone else's perspective on my situation, my friends don't know because I'm "always so happy" and I can't feel like I can talk to them, they don't know the real me....so thank you if you read this, I know it's long!
    I am so sorry you feel so crappy but there is hope and support. First of all you are not crying 'for no reason' you've stated the reason, you feel low and like you have no energy so what the point of doing work or going to lectures and then you feel guilty you're there to work hard and succeed which emphasises the low mood and lethargy. I am not saying that it is wrong to feel like that but it can be very isolating and you probably will find that most of your collegues and friends feel the same way.

I would suggest going to student services and asking for some counselling to help process the way you are feeling and get some things off your chest. I suffer with depression and one of the biggest things I have learnt that is taking responsibility for the way you feel. A great song quote 'you can only blame your problems on the world for so long, until it becomes the same old song'. It doesnt stop feeling low being crap because it is but it kicked me up the bum to say that you are the agent of change and you deserve it. You might also want to think about what motivates you, you mention that you think you should love the course you have chosen but as we everything close to our hearts there are aspects that you really hate and fustrate you and bits that could be better and I've found it really useful to be aware of that and almost embrace it. I found in aspects of being low you almost turn off your brain and go on to autopilot and its very difficult to know anything. Dont expect things to change tomorrow, you will face challenges but you can do it. Also you might find this useful, just dont think you have to do it all and it in one go.

http://www.studentsagainstdepression...your-own-life/

Its designed to help people self manage, the first one is about making a safety plan which I get the impression you wont need. Its about if your feeling suicidal. If you dont need it dont look at it because when I did it freaked me out alot. But it sounds like you have a lot of people that you potential you could lean upon so just skip on to the social network bit.

I hope you find this useful and you find some support . Sorry about the long post.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! I've got depression and totally understand. If you want someone to talk to or just someone to listen pm me

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.