Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the help!

ReputationRep:
    Higher temperature makes the lipids get their giggle on so the membrane become more permeable.

Really high temps denature the proteins.

Lower temperatures make the membrane less permeable and eventually practically impermeable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob :))
    Higher temperature makes the lipids get their giggle on so the membrane become more permeable.

Really high temps denature the proteins.

Lower temperatures make the membrane less permeable and eventually practically impermeable.
    Hi there
    thanks for your suggestion- but i need effects on specific parts of the membrane- not just the phospholipid bilayer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiess)
    Hi there
    thanks for your suggestion- but i need effects on specific parts of the membrane- not just the phospholipid bilayer
    The proteins. If the temperature becomes too high they will denature and stop functioning.

ReputationRep:
    The proteins. If the temperature becomes too high they will denature and stop functioning.
    Thank you!
    And would you by any chance know how the proteins would be affected if the temperature gets too low? Other than just ''it stops working''

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!
    And would you by any chance know how the proteins would be affected if the temperature gets too low? Other than just ''it stops working''
    They wouldn't be denatured but would stop working as diffusion rates would be come so slow channel proteins would be useless and even protien involved in active transport wouldn't work as they need molecules to move slightly through diffusion.

Essentially all particle slow down so nothing works or at least works less as everything requires particles to move.

ReputationRep:
    They wouldn't be denatured but would stop working as diffusion rates would be come so slow channel proteins would be useless and even protien involved in active transport wouldn't work as they need molecules to move slightly through diffusion.

Essentially all particle slow down so nothing works or at least works less as everything requires particles to move.
    is there a name to describe the whole ''molecules need to move slightly through diffusion'' or is that just common sense/general knowledge?
    And carrier proteins as well as channel proteins would become useless as well right?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    is there a name to describe the whole ''molecules need to move slightly through diffusion'' or is that just common sense/general knowledge?
    And carrier proteins as well as channel proteins would become useless as well right?
    Thanks!
    Yes eventually. Just say particles move less or something like that. You'll have to check your mark scheme. It's been two years since I did the OCR module for this stuff so I can't remember the exact wording they want. You're welcome.

ReputationRep:
    Yes eventually. Just say particles move less or something like that. You'll have to check your mark scheme. It's been two years since I did the OCR module for this stuff so I can't remember the exact wording they want. You're welcome.
    Thank you so much

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.