Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    im thinking of getting a new laptop found a really great one with brilliant specs for good price but the ONLY downfall is 3hour battery life.

As i need it for my first year at uni next year too, do you think this will become much of a harassment?..if so are there any ways round it if i do still get the laptop?

Thanks for a help.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not at uni so I don't know. But if I assume that you will give it continuous use, I think you may need a bit more. You could look into getting an extended battery.
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    If you're going to be taking it to lectures and things, then I'd get one with a better battery life. Carrying around a giant charger brick and cable rather negates the portability of the machine itself, as I've found this year If you're just keeping it in your room and it's plugged in the whole time, shouldn't be too much of an issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex193)
    If you're going to be taking it to lectures and things, then I'd get one with a better battery life. Carrying around a giant charger brick and cable rather negates the portability of the machine itself, as I've found this year If you're just keeping it in your room and it's plugged in the whole time, shouldn't be too much of an issue.
    hmm trouble is i have no idea how much ill be needing it...and if i was to be safe and go for something else...theres virtually nothing that compares in terms of spec and price.

i'd have to sacrifice something and it would most likely be graphics. this laptop has an nvidia graphics card (2gb) and i'd probs go down to intel hd 4000..which is quite a drop. not sure this is worth a longer battery..(and i would like to do some gaming)
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Like someone said you might want an extended battery. Perhaps price that in as an upgrade next year if you wont need it this year? Just a word of warning though, if they say 3 hours it might not even mean 3 hours of intensive use.
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Tedward)
    hmm trouble is i have no idea how much ill be needing it...and if i was to be safe and go for something else...theres virtually nothing that compares in terms of spec and price.

i'd have to sacrifice something and it would most likely be graphics. this laptop has an nvidia graphics card (2gb) and i'd probs go down to intel hd 4000..which is quite a drop. not sure this is worth a longer battery..(and i would like to do some gaming)
    Depends on your course and whether you'll be doing lots of notes and stuff. I've given up on carrying my laptop around and bought an ipad to use instead - I handwrite most of my notes and type them up in the evenings, and so having the tablet for the occasional notes and internet and stuff works well for me. Have you thought about just leaving your gaming machine in your room and getting a netbook to carry around? Say, some of the samsung chromebooks are seriously portable, 7h+ battery life and not that expensive?

ReputationRep:
    Post a link showing the laptop here. Preferably give us your budget range, too.

If it's offline then try and upload clear specs (inc. model names eg. nVidia GeForce 660GTX).

ReputationRep:
    My laptop lasts 3 hours and I've had no battery issues so far. Most places I take my laptop to have sockets anyway, and carrying the charger isn't too bad.

I don't bring my laptop to lectures since I'd rather use printed/written notes.

ReputationRep:
    If you take it round a lot go for a longer battery life, in my past experiences I just rage when it runs out when I'm about.

Carrying your charger around isn't a bad idea either.

ReputationRep:
    Trouble is, I would highly doubt you would get three hours (they always over-estimate).
    As I uni student myself, who uses his laptop for lectures, three hours would not even last you the morning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamskiUK)
    Post a link showing the laptop here. Preferably give us your budget range, too.

If it's offline then try and upload clear specs (inc. model names eg. nVidia GeForce 660GTX).
    here it is:http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptop...30682-pdt.html

seems to be some mixed opinions...im going for mathematics course so i doubt ill need it that much for that but ive started programming as a hobby so thats where a decent battery life would be useful.

oh and my price range is basically £550 max, no higher.

ReputationRep:
    For that particular Lenovo, you'll find the battery to be about 4 hours, not 3. If you think about it...

If you're using it for lectures then it's minimal use. You'll be running some basic word/number processing programs and accessing the internet at best. If you're programming and doing slight gaming then I presume that you'll be back home with power access. Communal places have plug-in areas. You'll find Win8 has some clever battery conservation techniques, literally turning off the 635M and using integrated graphics if provided (in this case I'm pretty sure it has inbuilt Intel HD4000 onto the CPU). This means with the right power consumption settings you'd probably get ~5 hours light usage. I think the 3 hour idea is PC World's own tested value and so might be more reliable but they would likely have been running HD video or editing software to test CPU strain etc. etc.

Only thing I could say is that, depending on usage, it would decline quite significantly to the 2.5-3.5 hour mark within 2 years. Remember, if it doesn't need charging, avoid keeping it plugged in. IIRC, Li-ion batteries don't like constacharge due to heat contributing to the degradation of the battery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamskiUK)
    For that particular Lenovo, you'll find the battery to be about 4 hours, not 3. If you think about it...

If you're using it for lectures then it's minimal use. You'll be running some basic word/number processing programs and accessing the internet at best. If you're programming and doing slight gaming then I presume that you'll be back home with power access. Communal places have plug-in areas. You'll find Win8 has some clever battery conservation techniques, literally turning off the 635M and using integrated graphics if provided (in this case I'm pretty sure it has inbuilt Intel HD4000 onto the CPU). This means with the right power consumption settings you'd probably get ~5 hours light usage. I think the 3 hour idea is PC World's own tested value and so might be more reliable but they would likely have been running HD video or editing software to test CPU strain etc. etc.

Only thing I could say is that, depending on usage, it would decline quite significantly to the 2.5-3.5 hour mark within 2 years. Remember, if it doesn't need charging, avoid keeping it plugged in. IIRC, Li-ion batteries don't like constacharge.
    Ok great thank you that sounds fine. That's set my mind at ease!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tedward)
    With nvidia it might come with Optimus in which case I think it will use the Intel graphics most of the time and switch to the nvidia when needed (e.g. for Games). My laptop with a GTX660 which has optimus has a button which either forces it to stay using the Intel graphics (if you want low power and less heat) or a mode where it switches depending on task.

ReputationRep:
    You should be alomost constantly near a plug socket so you could keep it charged up, but it might be a good idea to invest in a tablet to complete work on then trasfer it to a laptop later

ReputationRep:
    Or invest in a spare battery.

This is what I will be doing. I wish to have a powerful laptop for gaming, so I will have to spare some battery life. Therefore I will be purchasing another battery to carry around that compensates for that negative.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 17, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.