Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Some people state that racisim is now dead, and that people/the police don't treat black, white, asian etc. differently.

Although I think it's obviously improved, I think unless you are an 'ethnic' person, you don't really know.

I know personally, when I was a child in the '90s I was subjected to racism almost daily by children, adults and the elderly. I mean I thought something must have been wrong with me which is why very few people befriended me due to my race.

When I got older, I thought it had improved dramaticly becuase people weren't directly racist to me. However, I went out with an Asian man, and when I was in his car, we got stopped by police alot, and him and his friend's were always wary of the police becuase of this...Also, one of his asian friends had his flat robbed, so he reported it to the police. The police then found the TV in a ditch and arrested HIM. When he asked why, they said he must have robbed his own house becuase they found hid finger prints on HIS TV (!).

Of course, I can't prove this is racisim, but I've never in my life heard or seen anything like this happen to white people where I live.

What are your thoughts/opinons on this? Do you think people are still racist?

ReputationRep:
    A million times yes!

ReputationRep:
    You bet your ******* white *** it does. It was a joke, but racism still does exist. White supremacists?

ReputationRep:
    I mean more generally. I know there is obviously still racisim, i.e. BNP/EDL but I mean like, insitutionalised racism in the police, people sub consouisly stereotyping ethic minorities etc.?

ReputationRep:
    Oh yes, everyone has an opinion of someone don't they. Sometimes though your opinions can affect your work ethic. Not all police but you still find black people and other cultural races still being judged upon. It's more of a case of people being ignorant of others, if everyone was open minded, we wouldn't have the problems we have today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Free.Help)
    I mean more generally. I know there is obviously still racisim, i.e. BNP/EDL but I mean like, insitutionalised racism in the police, people sub consouisly stereotyping ethic minorities etc.?
    I've dated an Asian girl who's parents forbid her dating a white guy. I know plenty of staff in the hospital I work in who are English and don't like Poles or Idian and don't like Pakistanis or are English who don't like Muslims or vice versa...

ReputationRep:
    Of course, along with sexism, homophobia, ageism etc.

ReputationRep:
    Racism still exists. I believe the difference between the 90s(for example) and now is that fewer people are actually saying what they think. (i.e being open about how they feel).
    In a random scenario, someone might be thinking 'i wish this black man/woman would go back to africa' and end up saying 'that man/woman is so annoying'. If any of this makes sense....

ReputationRep:
    Of course but it is so subtle and institutionalised that it hard to label what is racist, it is bet systematic.

But yeah also blatant racism exists still as well just not as public as before.

FYI white people can be considered a ethnic group just like non-white people.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it certainly does. However to a lesser extent than we'll often see people claim, in my opinion.

Institutionally, not so much, rather skewed figures are more often the result of socio-economic factors, and the horror stories of individual actors. Equally, in my life, I have personally seen about as much racism directed toward white people as I've seen it coming from them, though I may be more predisposed to notice it I suppose. I think what we do have to be wary of are people playing a 'victim' card where there is none though, when people claim racism when it could have been a number of other things, for instance when they're not allowed into a club, or when they're pulled over by the Police.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink lipstick)
    Racism still exists. I believe the difference between the 90s(for example) and now is that fewer people are actually saying what they think. (i.e being open about how they feel).
    In a random scenario, someone might be thinking 'i wish this black man/woman would go back to africa' and end up saying 'that man/woman is so annoying'. If any of this makes sense....
    I slightly agree more hypocrisy thus giving rise to the fairy tail of a post-racial society!

ReputationRep:
    It still exists it's just people do not express it as openly compared to in the past. However most people are now very accepting of other races/ethnicities/religions through greater awareness through campaigns etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes dont forget "black racisme", next to "white racisme"

ReputationRep:
    Well of course - even little things like abuse of emos and goths exists, so of course something as extreme as racism does!

And racism also goes both ways. Many are also racist against "white" persons.

ReputationRep:
    This is kind of off topic but it's still related (kind of).

I always find it funny when I look on facebook/twitter/tsr and in real life when an incident occurs that involves someone belonging to an ethnic minority people feel the need to included the ethnicity/race (and religion when it comes to muslims) in the story. Like say if a girl was followed by some man, if he was black or asian then she will make a status on facebook like "OMG this black/asian man followed me today" but if it was a white person then she would just simple write "OMG this man followed me today"

I'm not saying that people that do this are racist, its just an observation that I've made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tu_es_jolie_x)

I always find it funny when I look on facebook/twitter/tsr and in real life when an incident occurs that involves someone belonging to an ethnic minority people feel the need to included the ethnicity/race (and religion when it comes to muslims) in the story. Like say if a girl was followed by some man, if he was black or asian then she will make a status on facebook like "OMG this black/asian man followed me today" but if it was a white person then she would just simple write "OMG this man followed me today"

I'm not saying that people do this are racist, its just an observation that I've made.
    Haha I totally agree with that lol! But tbf I do that with my own race it's become the norm :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Without talking about politics or institutional racism, yes, of course. People are people and all that's required to be racist is to hate/dislike/discriminate against someone because of their race. Let's not forget that people are racist against whites too, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tu_es_jolie_x)

I'm not saying that people that do this are racist, its just an observation that I've made.
    The term ethnic minority is flawed as 8% of the world's population is white so, who is the real "minority".

ReputationRep:
    I must say as much as there is racism towards white people it is nowhere near the scale as non-white groups and never as violent.

Not to give it less credit because all groups experience racism but I think white racism is hyped up by white supremacist. To the point that it undermines the racism that some white people receive.

Just my thoughts!

Racism still exists till day forth but it has dramatically decreased during the years hopefully it will continue to do so.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 14, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.