Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I hated her as a politician. I think she was a bigot. I think her policies have damaged the UK greatly and her Irish policies show she had no idea of the situation in Northern Ireland and her actions stirred up great political tensions which caused one of the bloodiest periods of the conflict.

However, I do feel sorry for her that everyone is celebrating her death. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect people to do what the tory party is doing and harp on about how great she was. Everyone has their opinions, but to celebrate her death is just wrong.

If someone would go back and show 18 year old Margaret a video of the night after her death, all the street parties, the social media feeds welcoming it etc. I suspect she would probably have stuck to chemistry.

Take this 'the witch is dead' song. The wicked witch died during her time in office after a house fell on her. The people of Oz were freed right then and there of her reign. They did not take to the streets 20years+ after the witch resigned to celebrate the death of an 87year old lady from a stroke. It makes no sense. Had the IRA succeed in killing her then mass celebrations would have made more sense. But they failed and she lived on for over two decades after she left office. The song makes no bloody sense in this scenario. Surely 'Tramp the Dirt' would have been a better choice.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to remind everyone of the Anglo-Irish Agreement signed in 1985 which meant Dublin had a say regarding Northern Ireland which is overlooked.

It is not right for songs to be taken out of context, people celebrating etc

It's Mark and Carol I feel sorry for, having to read about this when they should mourn in peace

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    I hated her as a politician. I think she was a bigot. I think her policies have damaged the UK greatly and her Irish policies show she had no idea of the situation in Northern Ireland and her actions stirred up great political tensions which caused one of the bloodiest periods of the conflict.

However, I do feel sorry for her that everyone is celebrating her death. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect people to do what the tory party is doing and harp on about how great she was. Everyone has their opinions, but to celebrate her death is just wrong.

If someone would go back and show 18 year old Margaret a video of the night after her death, all the street parties, the social media feeds welcoming it etc. I suspect she would probably have stuck to chemistry.

Take this 'the witch is dead' song. The wicked witch died during her time in office after a house fell on her. The people of Oz were freed right then and there of her reign. They did not take to the streets 20years+ after the witch resigned to celebrate the death of an 87year old lady from a stroke. It makes no sense. Had the IRA succeed in killing her then mass celebrations would have made more sense. But they failed and she lived on for over two decades after she left office. The song makes no bloody sense in this scenario. Surely 'Tramp the Dirt' would have been a better choice.
    Didn't you just make a thread last night bidding farewell to this "boring site"? :holmes:

...That didn't last long.

ReputationRep:
    I agree.

The fact that some people are trying to justify it by saying 'Oh but everyone is singing her praises!' are ridiculous. Firstly, that's the accepted thing to do when someone dies, to deny that is ridiculous. Secondly, you didn't agree with her policies? Then keep it to that, don't make some hate campaign against the woman.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.