The Student Room Group

How much do you pay for your gym and how far do you travel to get there?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by play_fetch
£92 a month?! The hell.. What do you get exactly for £92 a month?!

I go to Vigrin Active classic club, I mainly chose it because of the location. It is only a 10 minute walk from my house and 5 minutes from my college, so I can easily go on my break. It has a lot of things other than the gym (which is very big), there is a sauna, steam room, swimming pool, jacuzzi, rock climbing wall, cafe with costa coffee and iMacs, and also there are over 100 classes running every week.
Since it is only 5 minutes away from my college I can sometimes go there to eat on my break because it has much better quality food than my college. There are Molton Brown shower gels, shampoo, conditioner, soaps and body creams in the changing rooms, free towels. The staff are always friendly when you come in, say hello to you all the time and remember your name :smile:.
I definitely think its worth the price if you go more than 2-3 times per week.
Reply 61
Original post by areebmazhar
Is it a chain gym like Bannatynes or fitness first etc? Because some independent gyms have saunas and such but it's quite rare, that's why yours might be cheaper?

the one at home was a chain gym but not the one at uni
Original post by boba
the one at home was a chain gym but not the one at uni

you must be very lucky then :biggrin:

In general though if a gym has more features such as saunas, supplement shops, pools, steam rooms then you will have to pay a considerable more amount of money.
Holy hell, these gym prices. When I walk past my uni one (which is not free), most people in there don't look like they're body-building or anything. Just trying to get a reasonable amount of exercise, with many people on treadmills and such. Unless you're into body building and have an absolute need for all the different machines, why not get yourself a set of free weights, or one machine, or go out for a jog? Am I missing something here?
Reply 64
you must be very lucky then :biggrin:

In general though if a gym has more features such as saunas, supplement shops, pools, steam rooms then you will have to pay a considerable more amount of money.

I really like swimming so no pool is kind of a deal breaker gym wise for me as it would cost so much to pay to swim regularly ontop of that, its the main reason I don't use the university gym. the saunas steam rooms shops whatever I have no interest in but they seem to come with most that have pools so it is more difficult finding a suitable one that doesn't cost a fortune but I have managed in both of the places I live and hopefully will continue to wherever I end up after uni.
:smile:
Is it a chain gym like Bannatynes or fitness first etc? Because some independent gyms have saunas and such but it's quite rare, that's why yours might be cheaper?

Mines an independent and has full health suite and exercise classes including although its £176 for the year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
Original post by lightburns
Holy hell, these gym prices. When I walk past my uni one (which is not free), most people in there don't look like they're body-building or anything. Just trying to get a reasonable amount of exercise, with many people on treadmills and such. Unless you're into body building and have an absolute need for all the different machines, why not get yourself a set of free weights, or one machine, or go out for a jog? Am I missing something here?

You don't really need to go to the gym to bodybuild either, just need space at home, for the bench, barbells etc.
Original post by dan-dream-boys
I go to Vigrin Active classic club, I mainly chose it because of the location. It is only a 10 minute walk from my house and 5 minutes from my college, so I can easily go on my break. It has a lot of things other than the gym (which is very big), there is a sauna, steam room, swimming pool, jacuzzi, rock climbing wall, cafe with costa coffee and iMacs, and also there are over 100 classes running every week.
Since it is only 5 minutes away from my college I can sometimes go there to eat on my break because it has much better quality food than my college. There are Molton Brown shower gels, shampoo, conditioner, soaps and body creams in the changing rooms, free towels. The staff are always friendly when you come in, say hello to you all the time and remember your name :smile:.
I definitely think its worth the price if you go more than 2-3 times per week.

Meh if you think it's worth it then go for it I guess. God knows it'd be nice if te receptionists were polite instead of blanking me every time I walk up to them and don't even say hello as I approach or anything where i go... It's very frustrating. They'll just be on the computer or chatting to each other. Once I went and the woman said "oh if you don't mind I've only just made this cup of tea" so I had to wait for her to have a bit of tea and biscuit before she would scan my card so I could go to the gym- ridiculous!'
Reply 68
£50 a month, but I can visit any of the chain's branches in and around London, so it's pretty convenient at times.
Reply 69
30 a month, takes 10 minutes by car but its the best gym I've been to
Reply 70
£20 a month, 10 mins walk each way.
Reply 71
£17.99

5 mins in the car
£20, half hour walk

Posted from TSR Mobile
£19.99 and takes 10 minutes to walk there or around 3 mins by bus. It only recently opened so it's not packed at all and can go any time I want.
Reply 74
£30 a month on student discount

travel: 10 minutes drive

Like it because it has good facilities, basically anything you could ask for, its mostly young professionals who come there, and not many weirdos, I avoid going there when its packed but even then its not bad, you just have to dodge small talks and ignore the thirsty chicks lusting. :tongue:
Home:
£16.99/month (recently went up from £10.99) non-contract
~20 mins walk away
24 hour gym

Uni
£200 for the year
~30 mins walk away

Staff are great at both, very polite (except one extremely rude woman at uni who I've never seen smile, I think she is the manager though)
Reply 76
£14 per month. Has no extra facilities such as a swimming pool but I get student rates elsewhere. It's also just a five minute drive and is 24 hours which is helpful when at uni etc.
Reply 77
About £20 and it's 10 min walk down the road
£10 a month because I was one of the the first to join. It's £15 a month for everyone else.

Travel: A 10 minute train ride into town, then a 10 minute walk to the gym.
Reply 79
Around £25 per month with student discount and 15min walk from home to gym...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest