Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I recently moved into one of the University of Exeter residences in Birks Grange. I know the University says downloading torrents is not allowed, but has anyone tried it? I know some universities actually enforce that rule but others just let it slide. Downloading torrents is definitely a gamble. Has anyone in Exeter tried it and, if so, did you get a warning or punishment or anything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrangeBubblegum)
    I recently moved into one of the University of Exeter residences in Birks Grange. I know the University says downloading torrents is not allowed, but has anyone tried it? I know some universities actually enforce that rule but others just let it slide. Downloading torrents is definitely a gamble. Has anyone in Exeter tried it and, if so, did you get a warning or punishment or anything?
    They have pretty aggressive port throttling, so downloading torrents isn't really practical. It is possible but you essentially have to have your own VPN to be able to do so.

If you want to know the correct way to download stuff at Exeter just drop me a PM and I'll be happy to help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by officelinebacker)
    They have pretty aggressive port throttling, so downloading torrents isn't really practical. It is possible but you essentially have to have your own VPN to be able to do so.

If you want to know the correct way to download stuff at Exeter just drop me a PM and I'll be happy to help.
    How quick is the internet roughly? At the moment I am on about 8mb/s and it is painful. As long as I can stream HD tv shows/movies etc I will be happy!

I have Exeter as my insurance for Law incase that makes any difference to the types of accommodation and internet people get.

Why would someone neg this haha?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimpleTom)
    How quick is the internet roughly? At the moment I am on about 8mb/s and it is painful. As long as I can stream HD tv shows/movies etc I will be happy!

I have Exeter as my insurance for Law incase that makes any difference to the types of accommodation and internet people get.
    To answer your first question - the internet will be very very fast. Halls internet connections are hooked up to the University network which in turn draws its internet from SuperJANET which is a sort of publicly funded academic ISP.

Relative to current domestic broadband, you'll probably never have such a fast connection again.

As to whether your subject influences what halls you get - no, not for those subjects.

ReputationRep:

The internet is ridiculous.

To give you an example, I just downloaded Metro 2033 through Steam, file size is 6.6Gb. It took just over 9 minutes.

Also, as far as I can tell, no download cap at all. I tried to test this in the second term, I just downloaded as much as I possibly could for a month to see if I got a warning or anything. By the end of the month I had gone just over the 800Gb mark without a problem!

ReputationRep:
    The internet is ridiculous.

To give you an example, I just downloaded Metro 2033 through Steam, file size is 6.6Gb. It took just over 9 minutes.

Also, as far as I can tell, no download cap at all. I tried to test this in the second term, I just downloaded as much as I possibly could for a month to see if I got a warning or anything. By the end of the month I had gone just over the 800Gb mark without a problem!
    Holy crap.

Haha, what about Torrents though? Surely they must warn you about them?

ReputationRep:
    Holy crap.

Haha, what about Torrents though? Surely they must warn you about them?
    There is heavy port throttling in place, you will get literally 5kb/s on a torrent, so nobody even bothers trying to use them.

ReputationRep:
    There is heavy port throttling in place, you will get literally 5kb/s on a torrent, so nobody even bothers trying to use them.
    Is this with all P2P services, such as multiplayer games, etc?

ReputationRep:
    Is this with all P2P services, such as multiplayer games, etc?
    I've personally never had a problem with anything other than torrents, but I don't know if it does effect any other services, just what I use hasn't been affected.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.