Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hi all!

I've got this question (GCSE one), and I think I got somewhat of an answer - please check it!

The question:

"Suppose there are two gas clouds in space, and both have the same pressure but cloud A is much hotter than cloud B. What can you say about the density of the two clouds."

Now the answer I thought is that the density of cloud A (the hotter one) will be lower than B. The reason being is that as the temperature is higher, the particles will have more kinetic energy, thus spreading out over a larger area -the particles cover a larger area, the density (amount of particles in a specific area) must therefore decrease.

However, the doubt I have is that, even with a constant pressure, won't the cloud with a higher temperature have a lower density because the particles will be in a lower volume (most collisions)??

Please help, I am very, very confused!:confused::confused::confused:
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.