Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've got a pair of quad skates (SFR Rio) so I think it's a good idea to give skating a try.

I first tried it in my flat yesterday but it went rather terrible. I was too afraid to fall and my legs were really stiff - even though the floor was carpeted! I ended up struggling between standing, walking, and gliding at a REAL turtle pace. Things were even worse when I tried it outside. The ground was much smoother than the carpet and I was too scared to move, not to mention gliding or skating. I guess my balance as well as confidence are really poor.

Any advices on overcoming the fear and learning how to skate as a beginner? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PerlePerle)
    I've got a pair of quad skates (SFR Rio) so I think it's a good idea to give skating a try.

I first tried it in my flat yesterday but it went rather terrible. I was too afraid to fall and my legs were really stiff - even though the floor was carpeted! I ended up struggling between standing, walking, and gliding at a REAL turtle pace. Things were even worse when I tried it outside. The ground was much smoother than the carpet and I was too scared to move, not to mention gliding or skating. I guess my balance as well as confidence are really poor.

Any advices on overcoming the fear and learning how to skate as a beginner? :rolleyes:
    BEND YOUR KNEES! Also, make sure you have something to protect your hands and knees in case you do fall, and this is gonna sound really weird but try and do a controlled fall as you'll realise it's not actually that scary although be careful when trying it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterfly9595)
    BEND YOUR KNEES! Also, make sure you have something to protect your hands and knees in case you do fall, and this is gonna sound really weird but try and do a controlled fall as you'll realise it's not actually that scary although be careful when trying it!
    Ah, thank you! I've got wrist guards (my hands can't really move when I wear them -_-) and knee pads. Tried a few 'controlled falls' and felt a bit better. However I still didn't dare to try falling on my bum. LOL :eek:

I am still unable to skate but I'll keep trying. Hope I won't break my bones

ReputationRep:
    I started really recently too. I'm terrible but getting better. I'm moving so slowly but falling down a lot less and gaining more confidence
    There's a good rollerskating club here too (uni of herts) and is mixed ability so I don't feel like too much of an idiot :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmeliaMadline)
    I started really recently too. I'm terrible but getting better. I'm moving so slowly but falling down a lot less and gaining more confidence
    There's a good rollerskating club here too (uni of herts) and is mixed ability so I don't feel like too much of an idiot :P
    Hello Amelia! Do you practise outside or in an indoor area?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.