Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am really having a hard time remembering, so much so that it is stressing me out! I've just sit a mock exam yesterday and i'm freaking out! I can't remember anything from the syllabus!! And, already i have a problem tough time
    - recalling
    - applying
    - understanding what the questions are asking

- writing coherently

- thinking quick enough

Could anyone advise on something small i can squeese in to help improve memory and use my brain effectively?

Please help!!!

ReputationRep:
    Ive found that mnemonics help tonnes -> dirty ones are the best because they are often the most memorable (don't write it down though!)

Revising definitions/key terms just before you sleep is another good one imo, and I think I may have read somewhere that the sleep helps you remember.

Revise in short periods, so 20 mins revision, 5 min break, and etc.

Buy Post-its and write small bullet pointed facts on them and stick them everywhere in your house, and yes I do mean everywhere. Your bathroom, your bedroom, the kitchen, the living room, read them constantly and repeat them under your breath so much that your family members start to think you are going insane.

And finally, remember that you are one of millions of students who are getting stressed out, so remember to ask for help. Try and convince your parents to get a tutor (if you actually need one).

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    TRY writing some important points, definitions or diagrams on (large) sticky notes and just pin them to the walls of your room. IT works for me. You always get a quick glance at it when you're in your room. SO it completely imprints in your brain

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for your suggestions! I am definitely going to try all these tricks.

Along with these what other ways can i improve my memory? I heard/ read about exercising, brain training games, Sudoku, certain foods... are these any good? oh and how about speeding up my brain?

Previously in my studies, at least i could remember my syllabus, but this time around i really can not remember a single thing, so i want to try every trick in the book.

ReputationRep:
    I find that the best way to remember stuff is too use allot of colour for key/important things such as definitions etc. also making mini mind maps or posters that you can continually look at or stick on your wall hope that this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.