Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm studying AS Level Eng CIE and for paper 2 I have to write stories in which it is asked 'Create a sense or mood of mystery and suspense.'

Now how can I richly add mood into story and that too without getting frustrated? Particularly mood of mystery and suspense is a big problem...please give me examples of such moody stories or passages...or help me in someway....

thanks.....a lot....

ReputationRep:
    By the use of adjectives which have connotation to mystery and suspense?
    Through imagery: eg; "dark eyes" "long coats"
    Through metaphors eg: her eyes were a a pit of deep well

Also, short sentences for suspense works pretty well too!

ReputationRep:
    The wind whistled eerily down the deserted streets outside the conference centre. The dishevelled figure in the long coat muttered phrases to himself in a curiously distorted voice. "I don't believe in God personally"..."We began as restless and radical"... "I think it is more complicated than that".
    His dark eyes swivelled as he heard a rustling noise nearby. It was only a starving estate agent rummaging through the discarded manifestos which littered the dismal concrete walkway.
    Ed approached the wretched creature and asked if he needed help; "Let's start to have a grown up debate in this country about who we are and where we want to go and what kind of country we want to build."
    The estate agent fled in panic leaving Ed addressing the crow-black sloe-black Brighton night...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.