Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I need to determine the Ka of some phenylboric acids, i have the the temperature σ, K and p, and think i need the hammet equation rearranged but not sure how to apply it. Any help would be good cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karl177)
    I need to determine the Ka of some phenylboric acids, i have the the temperature σ, K and p, and think i need the hammet equation rearranged but not sure how to apply it. Any help would be good cheers
    Hammett: log (K/K0) = σp

rearrange simple logarithms (in elementary mathematics for chemistry/any sciences in general - you gotta be able to do this though).

K/K0 = exp (σp)

I think your Ka in this case would be the K0.
    Make that the subject of your formula.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh cheers see now, pretty simple, was sleep deprived and brain wasn't functioning at the time of writing ha.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.