Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

When doing past papers on integration questions, when the question has not told you what to use.. I never know which type of integration to use (e.g. integration by parts, substitution, separation of variables etc).

Any advice/ tips on how you spot which type of integration to use?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestfriends33)
    Hi,

When doing past papers on integration questions, when the question has not told you what to use.. I never know which type of integration to use (e.g. integration by parts, substitution, separation of variables etc).

Any advice/ tips on how you spot which type of integration to use?

Thank you!
    Use parts if there are two different expressions which are multiplied together

Use substitution if you cannot see a way of integrating it directly using the terms given and parts doesn't work/there are not two terms multiplied together (Although, you can usually tell you if it's by substitution because they give you the substitution almost all the time.. is this edexcel?)

Use separation of variables if there is an expression involving x and y (or other letters) on one (or both) sides of the equation and a differential operator (e.g. dy/dx) on one side. This will form a differential equation which you can then solve

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conjecture)
    Use parts if there are two different expressions which are multiplied together

Use substitution if you cannot see a way of integrating it directly using the terms given and parts doesn't work/there are not two terms multiplied together (Although, you can usually tell you if it's by substitution because they give you the substitution almost all the time.. is this edexcel?)

Use separation of variables if there is an expression involving x and y (or other letters) on one (or both) sides of the equation and a differential operator (e.g. dy/dx) on one side. This will form a differential equation which you can then solve
    Thanks very much! I gave you a +rep
    Yeah this is edexcel.. Finding C4 very difficult especially vectors and integration

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestfriends33)
    Thanks very much! I gave you a +rep
    Yeah this is edexcel.. Finding C4 very difficult especially vectors and integration
    Welcome As far as I remember, in edexcel C4 they'll never ask you to come up with your own substitution so those questions are really easy to spot as they'll tell you what substitution to use.

Are you doing mechanics? Vectors are fairly straightforward, just learn how to apply the dot product and remember the vectors point away from the angle found!

Integration is just practice... it took me a while to get to grips with all the different types as well, there's just so much of it!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.