Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Dilemma about insurance choice - thoughts? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I know that I'm going to firm Uni of Sheffield, but I don't know whether to insure UCL. Part of the issue is that both Sheffield and UCL have offered me the same (ABB) - but Sheffield may accept me with BBB due to extenuating circumstances.

(I don't want to go to my other three choices because I realised I'd rather do something archaeological than Scandinavian.)

In addition, I want to do Archaeology at Sheffield rather than Viking Studies at UCL, and it seems likely that if I don't get into Sheffield, I won't get into UCL.

Should I leave my insurance choice empty and possibly get an Archaeology place through Clearing, or put down UCL as my insurance anyway?

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want to go to your other choices, I'd risk insuring UCL personally. It's not like fees are going to dramatically increase if you took a year out, and you'd be able to retake in order to push your grades up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paperstainedink)
    I know that I'm going to firm Uni of Sheffield, but I don't know whether to insure UCL. Part of the issue is that both Sheffield and UCL have offered me the same (ABB) - but Sheffield may accept me with BBB due to extenuating circumstances.

(I don't want to go to my other three choices because I realised I'd rather do something archaeological than Scandinavian.)

In addition, I want to do Archaeology at Sheffield rather than Viking Studies at UCL, and it seems likely that if I don't get into Sheffield, I won't get into UCL.

Should I leave my insurance choice empty and possibly get an Archaeology place through Clearing, or put down UCL as my insurance anyway?

If you do not want to go to UCL then do not Insure it

As you say, it is not likely that you would get in if you do not get in to Sheffield, but what if they did say yes ... then you are stuck with that course rather than being able to get on with clearing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    If you do not want to go to UCL then do not Insure it

As you say, it is not likely that you would get in if you do not get in to Sheffield, but what if they did say yes ... then you are stuck with that course rather than being able to get on with clearing
    I thought you could ask your Insurance to reject you if you wanted to get into clearing? :confused:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by You!Me!Dancing!)
    I thought you could ask your Insurance to reject you if you wanted to get into clearing? :confused:
    You can, but it will take a while for them to get round to it

Posted from Juno's amazing phone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You!Me!Dancing!)
    You can

But it still slows the process

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the help, guys - after weighing things up, I've firmed Sheffield and declined UCL

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.