Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just wondered if anyone knows how you might be required to pay back a career development loan after completing a masters degree, if you were unable to be offered a job within 1 month of finishing the course, and say you had to sign on the dole so was only receiving JSA as income?.

Obviously we'd all like to be working after completing our masters but with the jobmarket so competitve and tough at the mo, immediate employment may not always be possible for some.

So i was just wondering this before I go ahead and take one out. I goggled for the info but there doesn't seem to be much online about paying back if not in employment within 1 month. :confused:

X

If you’re registered as unemployed at the end of the first month after completing your course, you can ask the bank to let you defer repayments for up to five months, and after that you can ask for two further extensions of six months each. But remember that you continue to accrue interest on the loan all the time.

ReputationRep:
    god i hate banks....all bankers should be shot. They screwed up the country, brought the country to it's knees, and now they're screwing over students who just want to study to try and better themselves by charging them interest when they can't find work! DISGRACE! I will forever hate banks and bankers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    god i hate banks....all bankers should be shot. They screwed up the country, brought the country to it's knees, and now they're screwing over students who just want to study to try and better themselves by charging them interest when they can't find work! DISGRACE! I will forever hate banks and bankers!
    Shut up.

ReputationRep:
    It's not really the banks fault if you can't find a job though. After all, they don't HAVE to lend you the money either.

ReputationRep:
    god i hate banks....all bankers should be shot. They screwed up the country, brought the country to it's knees...
    in fairness, I don't think this was the branch manager at your high street co-op.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if they didn't lend money many people wouldn't be able to complete MScs. They are a business at the end of the day, and aren't going to write off debt or let you delay repayments for a decade interest free. If you don't like the terms of a loan, don't get a loan, it's all very available to see when you take one out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    Well, if they didn't lend money many people wouldn't be able to complete MScs. They are a business at the end of the day, and aren't going to write off debt or let you delay repayments for a decade interest free. If you don't like the terms of a loan, don't get a loan, it's all very available to see when you take one out.
    they're in the business of ruining the country, people's lives and the world. I have no sympathy for banks or bankers whatsoever. They should all be deported to st helena and made to do hard labour and forage for their food. Disgusting bunch of people! No morality whatsoever.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.